Spyder Garage

Default Does this mean my parking brake motor is toast? - Sorted!

The other day when my parking brake would not disengage I checked for fault codes and it displayed U0128. It finally released on its own.

This morning the same thing happened. When I checked for fault codes again it displayed P0517 and P1571.

All seem to point to the parking brake module. My bike is a 2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited.

I have an appointment for Friday to bring the bike into the dealership to have this looked at. I also found a Can Am Warranty Bulletin #2019-9 regarding this same issue.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It could be a faulty parking brake switch , had to have mine replaced on my '16 RTS. Dale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2018 RT had to have a new PB motor installed. Luckily under warranty.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    My 2018 RT had to have a new PB motor installed. Luckily under warranty.
    That's what I'm hoping for on mine cause it's still under extended warranty till Aug.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Here's an update on my parking brake issue.

I had an appointment to bring the Spyder in to have the problem diagnosed. I also printed and brought the Can Am Bulletin about the prking brake being a known issue and directing the motor be replaced. The dealer called me yesterday and told me my problem was covered under the bulletin so it would be repaired under warranty. Unfortunately the motor has to be ordered and the dealer advised it would take a few days for him to receive tracking information so he could not, at this time, give me any delivery date. But at least it's not coming out of my pocket. I'll follow up here once I have more information.

bulletin.jpg

corrective action.jpg
    Last edited by gkamer; 10-19-2022 at 11:37 AM.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Greg, just incase you go in all happy and the dealer asks for your deductible, BEST does have a deductible. If they file it under BEST, You will need to pay the $50 for the repair I believe. Depends how the dealer files it, as in “warranty” or “BEST.” Just giving you heads up. They might throw you a curve ball. I’d assume its filed under warranty so no charge but then again who knows what they’ll do. They have your VIN, no doubt they already ran it before they said anything.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 10-19-2022 at 12:10 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

This problem can also occur due to a marginal battery charge.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Greg, just incase you go in all happy and the dealer asks for your deductible, BEST does have a deductible. If they file it under BEST, You will need to pay the $50 for the repair I believe.
    Thanks. Yea I already knew about the deductable so I'm not worried about that.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Parking brake problem revisited

As some of you might know I was having a problem with the parking brake on my 2018 RT Limited not always releasing. It would eventually release on its own and luckily I never found myself in a situation that required me to resort to disconnecting it as shown in a number of YouTube videos. I did pack two 12mm wrench’s with me all the time, just in case.

During my research into this issue I came across a BRP Warranty Bulletin dated Apr 16, 2020 addressing that exact problem. The BRP solution was to replace the parking brake motor. I made an appointment with my dealership to bring my bike in on Oct 14th to have the problem diagnosed. I brought a copy of the bulletin with me.

I got a call on the 15th advising me that my problem was in fact covered by the bulletin and the motor would be replaced under warranty, however they said it would take a few days before they would have an estimated release date on the motor. I got a voice mail from the dealership today advising the repairs were completed and my bike was ready for pick up.

Twenty eight days from start to finish. Not too bad. I wonder if that’s a record?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2022 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Merging resolution thread into original problem thread ;-)
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Things were different back in 2015 or 16, whichever it was, when I went to Spyderfest in Springfield, MO. My brake motor crapped out on the way there. Since it was a common problem Pit Bull Motorsports had several motors in stock. Total time from verifying the problem to PB being replaced was maybe 3 days!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I am glad you finally got it sorted out Greg.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I am glad you finally got it sorted out Greg.
    Me too... Just in time for winter.....
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Hey GKamer. I have the same bike and year. I turned the key, hit all the right buttons to start it, but did not, it was in neutral, so I can push it back out of the garage to start it so it can warm up outside with gassing me or the family. I can usually roll it out and stop it before I hit the parking brake, but this time got away from me a bit, so I hit the brake with the bike still moving backwards slightly. Not an emergency stop all all, not even walking speed, but it was not stopped (slight decline) on my driveway. Started it after an hour to run an errand. PB would not come off. I could hear all the relay activate etc, but it would not come off no matter what I tried. I finally was able to get it come off and pulled into the garage. Activated/deactivated it a few more times and it finally went off. Then next day went to ride it again and same issue. I took the cable off and then put it back on (kind of a PITA) and that helped relieve the situation. After that have ridden it several time without issue. Sounds like it might be known problem, but from my experience which it has not done before or since, that there may be something in the programming that may even confuse this thing. Was wondering if you had rolled your bike at all without being on it and then engaged your EPB that may have precipitated this occurring? Thank you.
    Lvmyspyder
    She's Lisa
    2018 Spyder RT Limited[img]
    2018 RTL , Stock Brake Pedal Extender. White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lvmyspyder View Post
    Hey GKamer. I have the same bike and year. I turned the key, hit all the right buttons to start it, but did not, it was in neutral, so I can push it back out of the garage to start it so it can warm up outside with gassing me or the family. I can usually roll it out and stop it before I hit the parking brake, but this time got away from me a bit, so I hit the brake with the bike still moving backwards slightly. Not an emergency stop all all, not even walking speed, but it was not stopped (slight decline) on my driveway. Started it after an hour to run an errand. PB would not come off. I could hear all the relay activate etc, but it would not come off no matter what I tried. I finally was able to get it come off and pulled into the garage. Activated/deactivated it a few more times and it finally went off. Then next day went to ride it again and same issue. I took the cable off and then put it back on (kind of a PITA) and that helped relieve the situation. After that have ridden it several time without issue. Sounds like it might be known problem, but from my experience which it has not done before or since, that there may be something in the programming that may even confuse this thing. Was wondering if you had rolled your bike at all without being on it and then engaged your EPB that may have precipitated this occurring? Thank you.
    There were a number of times when I had to push it backwards down a very slight incline but in those situations I was quick enough to hop on and apply the regular foot brake. I never did use the parking brake to stop it. On at least three occasions I was able to get the parking brake released without have to disconnect the cable. I would put in in 1st and give it just a little throttle. Then shift into Reverse and again a little throttle. Then back to 1st. After a few times I felt the bike give a very subtle nudge which indicated the parking brake finally released. I don't know if this procedure actually did any good or if it would have eventually released on it's own, but it worked for me. I think you can find a copy of the BRP Can Am Warranty Bulletin relating to the parking brake issue here:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...74648-0001.pdf

Good luck.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired