Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Has anyone reported the D.E.S.S. error on models earlier than 2014?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We might have seen a couple, but they were pretty rare...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KJWEB View Post
    Has anyone reported the D.E.S.S. error on models earlier than 2014?
    Prior to the 2014's, the setup was different. The DESS module on the older models received the information from the key AND did the authentication. If it liked what it saw, it told the ECM to start the bike. That's why on older models if you swapped the DESS module, you had to reprogram the keys. With the 2014's, the DESS module is just a pass thru -- it receives the information from the key and simply passes it on to the ECM. The ECM does the authentication and decides whether to start the bike or not. So the DESS module on the 2014's can be swapped out with no reprogramming of the keys -- the authentication information is stored in the ECM.

I would say that means that the DESS modules are totally different and experience on prior years does not relate to 2014's. I asked my tech, who's very good, if he had any idea why BRP would have changed their strategy. He thought about it and said it may have been to make it easier to add new keys for people. With the old system, it was cumbersome and took some time to program the keys. Now he said they can use BUDS and it's really quick. Sounded like a good thought to me but only BRP knows for sure why they did it.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces