Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I check my mpg each fill up, gives me a good clue if there' s a problem. Number of miles on the trip meter divided by gallons of fuel pumped. Clear the trip meter after each fill up.

Spyder Garage

The wife and i just got back from a 1395 km ride .Gas mileage was 54.5 CA ,i have never averaged that high before .Bike ran fine with no problems ,other than the piece of ........ radio.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

2017 F3L here (1330 engine, SE6), ridden mostly 2-up (80% of time), probably averaging around 55-60 mph (90-100 km/h) on secondary highways. We like to do day trips on back country roads at reasonably enjoyable speeds (not slow, but not racing). Our rydes take place in Ontario in summer, FL in winter, with some mid-America mountain ryding in between. We routinely go 250 miles (400 km) between fill-ups, and still have probably 25 miles (40 km) left in the tank. After 13,000 mi (19,000 km), we have averaged between 37-41 US mpg (best was around 44 mpg). With 9 lit-up bars on the fuel gauge, I figure on getting 25 miles (40 km) per bar; this pretty much should leave me with 25-40 miles (40-60 km) safety range. Headwinds, mountainous terrain and/or pulling our (light) trailer will decrease this dramatically, as will increased speed. Any Interstate or trailer hauling drops us closer to 30 mpg , or perhaps an expectation of 20 miles per fuel gauge bar (about 200 miles max). We don't use eco mode, rarely turn on cruise control; often down-shift manually, keeping revs above 2500/2700, use brakes sparingly, like to challenge the twisties, but far from ryding on the edge. We enjoy the day, love the Spyder, don't really worry all that much about the cost of fuel used. Always have used premium - 93 octane.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    I read somewhere that the first CanAm Spyder RT was out of gas at 100 miles. Just don't know what the tank size was though. And that was only a 2 cylinder engine. I have ridden hard, watched that gas tank light thingy fire up and kept on going. Next stop 7.0 gallons. I think that tenth was the filler tube. And the packing of course. Not to worry, I carry a spare gallon in the frunk in a spun aluminum gas tank. Still, when the light comes on I think you've got about 40 miles. That was my result but to be fair, I slowed from 75 to 60 when the light lit. Be a good thing for someone to test and tell.... (just a note, one trip on my BMW K1200LT, I completely ran out of gas with engine stoppage as I rolled into my garage. And that was when I bought the spare fuel cell)
    Isn't anyone concerned about running their tank dry or at least to the point the fuel pump is high and dry. Running tank fuel pumps dry is supposed to increase wear. The fuel is a lubricant for them. Running them to where they are not submerged in fuel is also not supposed to be so good. They use the fuel as a coolant. This goes for cars too.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I have tried ECO mode and it took me back to when I was 13 years old and got my first mini bike. I don't ride in the alley any more. I do not use it and I find when I get on the throttle DATA goes out the exhaust. I have been through more back tires then front. It puts a smile on my face wind through the air wings and I love it. Sorry no DATA here but hey who's counting. Why did they give me 6th gear if not to use it? Missouri got rid of 55 MPH for me. I think honestly I run premium ride in formation when with KC SPYDER RYDERS. On my own let her rip.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I check my mpg each fill up, gives me a good clue if there' s a problem. Number of miles on the trip meter divided by gallons of fuel pumped. Clear the trip meter after each fill up.
    That's pretty much an exercise in futility. To see one example of how MPG varies look at my graphs in this post. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1313299. It's the first post in the thread I link to above. Tank to tank MPG goes up and down like a kid on a trampoline. Even the 4 fill average varies a lot. There are just too many variables at play to have any consistency at all between tankfuls.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For you maybe an effort in futility, but it works for me, just so the number is in the ball park. I did check your graphs before I did the comment, I know riding conditions will vary affecting performance of the machine.

Spyder Garage

I found a lost gas receipt ,44.4 mpg not 54.5 .Still good ,but hard to beat the st 1300 .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

As a chemical engineer with years of experience in engine combustion and heat transfer both IC and turbine, I can assure you that, whether 2 cyl or 3 cyl, air cooled or liquid cooled, a 12:1 compression ratio engine will thank you for using "high test" fuel. 91 - 93 octane (depending on the measurement method). With today's computer controlled engines however, the lower octane may not hurt your engine, since, at the first indication of detonation, the computer will reduce the timing to eliminate same. This will, however, reduce your power, and your fuel mileage.

Spyder Garage

Several weeks ago, I did a three-day ride from the Seattle area to Winthrop, WA with the PNW Spyder Ryders group. About 185 miles one-way. When I got there, my dash odometer said I had 52 miles left in the tank (new software update of a '18 RT-L Dark). I took the long way home, which ended up being about 215 miles, and odometer said 22 miles left. Didn't check the mpg on either one, but I definitely could get an easy 225 miles on a tank if I wanted to stretch it (I usually top up at 175-190 miles, just to be safe). Right in line with your stats, Pallidis Aranea. By the way, I'm a stats nut as well -- spent my career as a labor market economist and budget analyst with the State of Oregon before retiring many long years ago.
    I think I am, therefore I am. I think.
    George Carlin

'18 RT Limited Dark - Champagne
    '15 ST-S White/Orange (sold)
    '14 Ducati Monster 1200 (rear-ended)
    '12 Triumph Street Triple R (sold)
    '99 BMW R1100S (sold)
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Hello AeroPilot, I'm from the other side of the globe based in New Zealand and I read your post with much interest. I own a 2016/17 vegas pearl white 1330 RT and whilst fuel economy is not a major concern, it still is a topic that I am interested in. I saw in the sales info that BRP claimed a fuel range of 250miles (400Kms), this was a welcomed feature from my previous RS Spyder, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to pan out that way. The best I have achieved is 200 miles with no bars showing and the fuel light on. I ride with a friend who owns a 2015 F3 which has the same engine and what I believe is the same capacity fuel tank and he consistently obtains 250mile + range, and that's when we are riding and cruising together. Admittedly the RT is pushing a little more surface wind area and possibly carrying more weight, but I thought not at the expense of 50+miles in range. I talked to our local dealer and he said that the fuel mapping maybe different between the bikes with the RT producing torque lower down, I however struggle with this as you would have thought if the torque was being produced at presumably mid range cruising speeds, then it would be more fuel efficient. He then went on to say that maybe we could remap the fuel system accordingly, but when I spoke to the mechanics about this, they were reluctant to consider this. ( I think that this type of work was beyond their capabilities anyway). It would be interesting to talk with the BRP gurus around this subject, whether there is any truth in different torque curves between the RT and F3, but I am having trouble finding the right people and addresses to ask about this. The cost of fuel over here is worth mentioning as we are paying $2:30 per Litre, so I understand that a US gallon is 3.9L, thus a gallon is worth $8:97. Would anybody know of a subject matter expert in this field that I could at least chew the fat with so to speak...…..Morris Jones
    2016 RT , Pearl White