Thread: ECU Flash

Hybrid View

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    It won't do anything for you power/speed wise. It is only there to "supposedly" increase fuel economy by prompting you to shift sooner (more economical rpm) and possibly retarding the timing some but I'm not 100% on the that...
    IMHO " ECO mode " does change the MAP somewhat ….. If I have MY OEM 2014 RT in " eco " mode, it isn't as responsive ( and this has nothing to do with the shift lights )….. I think it does this via a slight RETARDING of the spark …. how this might relate to an ECU Flash I won't speculate on …. maybe Steve can enlighten us ...……………...Mike

Spyder Garage

Not sure about all the things that happen when ECO mode is engaged on the Spyder. I do know that BRP does a great job changing the performance of their vehicles electronically. I owned a Can Am Commander (4WD) for several years. It came with 2 keys. One was "standard" and the other was "performance". A very noticable difference of operation between the two. In addition, there was an electronically operated switch that changed other operational peramaters from "normal" to "sport" mode. One would think that you might want to keep the vehicle in sport mode with the performance key in all the time. That gave the highest level of power, speed, and responsiveness. Most times rock crawling required reducing responsiveness electronically to eliminate jerkiness of throttle caused by (me) bouncing around. Very effective. I highly suspect our ECO mode on the Spyder does more than just tell us when to shift. I tried it a couple of time just for kicks but haven't used it for a long time. I just know that BRP does know how to alter performance with more than just lights telling us when to shift gears..... It would be interesting to know how and what is effected in the ECO mode when the ECU is flashed..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO " ECO mode " does change the MAP somewhat ….. If I have MY OEM 2014 RT in " eco " mode, it isn't as responsive ( and this has nothing to do with the shift lights )….. I think it does this via a slight RETARDING of the spark …. how this might relate to an ECU Flash I won't speculate on …. maybe Steve can enlighten us ...……………...Mike
    My statement about power/speed was in response to the OP asking if it would give him "ludicrous speed or something". I wasn't saying that it didn't alter the MAP or that it only prompted for earlier shifting. In fact, besides the timing it may alter the fuel tables and throttle behavior as well.... At this point all I know is ECO is worthless and just basically a PITA to me!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic