Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Question for 2020+ RT owners about computer reflash

As the title states, I would like to know if anyone has reflashed their 2020+ RT? I am thinking the results should be the same as on the earlier models, since the drivetrain is the same. I know it is early and some may be hesitant due to them still being under warranty. I ask this because I have a 2016 F3T now and am happy with the bikes performance with just a cat delete. It peels out with no trouble at all. But when I rode a demo model 2020 RTL, it was very smooth, but felt a bit weaker. I understand the larger sprocket on the F3T gives me the illusion of more power, but the 2020 felt weaker than my 2014 RT also. I love the newer body style, but would like a little more power. Don't want to make the move from my F3T until I am certain I will be at least as happy with my new ride.
    Thanks for any input. Please note, I am not knocking the 2020 in any way, just stating my opinion and concern.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope to have mine reflashed in the next few months but I know you want an answer now. I'll be following this to see what others w/2020+ RTs say.

Spyder Garage

To me, my 2020RT performs at about the same level as the better 500cc motorcycles I've owned. I've always been satisfied with that level of performance, but I ride solo. It's too bad it took 1330cc to get there, but that does leave room for improvement. The 1330 achieves 100BHP/Liter, which was the performance standard for many years. As usual, my perspective is different than most, and I'd like to see a mileage/range improvement (and shaft drive), rather than more tire smoke.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

There is that! Also worthy to note that like so many other things, as things mature & the creature comforts increase, the girth expands a bit & weight increases accordingly; so over time, even the latest Spyders are hafta push juuust a little more air ahead of them & the engines hafta carry just a tad more weight than the earlier models, so things might not be quite as sprightly as they would be if all those other things had remained equal!

However, if you look at the rest of the Can-Am range & the engines the various machines run &/or those engines that they sell for other applications, it's pretty obvious that our Spyders are seriously de-tuned!! So a competent ECU flash practitioner who has some idea about Can-Am engines/tuning should be able to release a fair bit more without even getting anywhere near the power/torque outputs these engines are actually capable of reliably running - and there are a few practitioners who have done that 'release the un-tapped potential' with great success!! Maybe not too many upgrades have been performed on the 2020+ models just yet, but as you yourself are already aware Blacklightning, the driveline is still essentially the same so there's absolutely NO reason for there to be any issue with doing this on the newer 2020+ models/versions of the Spyder 1330 engine too - and if you get a chance to ryde any Spyder enhanced by an ECU Upgrade, you'll very quickly become absofreakinlutely aware of just how choked & chained back the OE Tune is!!

So get the upgrade done and really bring your Spyder to LIFE!! If you don't ever do it, you'll never understand - it's sorta like being happy enough riding a plow horse in a race with other plow horses, it'll probably do sorta OK... maybe . Heck, it might even win a race with other plow horses - but your Spyder is really a Thoroughbred Race Horse, and a bloody capable one at that!! Are you happy winning races between all the plow horses, or would you prefer to show all the Race horses out there a clean pair of heels - sorry, a smokin' back tire rapidly disappearing into the distance ahead??! I know which one of those two scenarios I prefer.... and funnily enough, when I'm not out there showing off that smoking rear tire (ie, most of the time!) I actually get better driveability & range/fuel consumption than I ever did before the ECU Upgrade - but mine is a V-Twin... altho the 1330's I've ridden with ECU Upgrades also do much the same, even if there's not quite such a startling difference/improvement... and the 2020+ 1330 engines are essentially the same as the earlier 1330's

Go On! Do It!! You KNOW you want to!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    ... I actually get better driveability & range/fuel consumption than I ever did before the ECU Upgrade - but mine is a V-Twin... altho the 1330's I've ridden with ECU Upgrades also do much the same, even if there's not quite such a startling difference/improvement... and the 2020+ 1330 engines are essentially the same as the earlier 1330's

Go On! Do It!! You KNOW you want to!
    You must be watching my play money account -- You're sure good at spending it! Made me rethink it, anyways.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    You must be watching my play money account -- You're sure good at spending it! Made me rethink it, anyways.
    . I can always have fun spending other people's money! .

But when it comes to 'making your Spyder what it always should've been', getting an ECU Upgrade done truly is up there with fitting a better anti-sway bar & tossing the OE Spec Kendas for some 'real tires'! .
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

To answer your question, Yes, I've flashed my 2020 RTL. I previously had a 2015 RTL. On that one, I sent the ECU to Wick-It Performance for the flash and was amazed at the difference. When I traded it for a 2020, I knew I wanted that same performance. I went the extra mile and bought the programmer so that I can revert to the factory flash if I ever have to. No regrets, and the performance is what I was used to in the 2015. Not long after, I went with the Akrapovic silencer. I'm now very happy with the performance and sound of this Spyder. If you can afford to do this upgrade, don't hesitate. You WILL notice the difference!!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. Yes, I do eventually plan on doing the ecu upgrade, rather I keep the 2016 that I have, or go with the 2020RT. I am kinda used to having fast things (currently have 200 hp 2010 yamaha Vmax, 2002 s/c ford lightning, and 2017 ford mustang GT), but I would be hesitant to do the reflash on a new vehicle. That is the only reason I haven't done the reflash on my 2016. I use it more for cruising, since I have the Vmax for when I really wanna ride fast.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Have you researched the Pedal Commander Throttle Response sold by SlingMod. I have no experience with it, but reviews are pretty good. Plug n play. Maybe someone here knows more about it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesjammer View Post
    Have you researched the Pedal Commander Throttle Response sold by SlingMod. I have no experience with it, but reviews are pretty good. Plug n play. Maybe someone here knows more about it.
    The PC DOES NOT increase power, it only improves the throttle response..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    The PC DOES NOT increase power, it only improves the throttle response..
    Exactly but it still helps to wake up the bike. I see it this way, the flash gives the bike the hp/tq it should have had from the factory and the Pedal Commander give it the throttle response it should have had from the factory. One of the nice things about the Pedal Commander is that you can change the settings. Handy if you tend to ride in the rain (you want less sensitivity) and in the dry curves (more sensitivity). Since this bike has already put me deeply in debt, I figure another $750 won't matter. As soon as I get my 3k mile service (in the next couple months), I'll get the Stage 1 flash and handheld.

Spyder Garage

This is a video showing part of what the Monster Stage 1 upgrade reprograms...

https://player.vimeo.com/video/225105370
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Monk who are you having your reflash done with. ? i have a 2015 Rts that i would like to have a reflash on thank You Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobfeeney View Post
    Monk who are you having your reflash done with. ? i have a 2015 Rts that i would like to have a reflash on thank You Bob
    I think I'm going to get Monster FI's Stage 1 flash and their handheld device. The handheld is more money but if the bike should ever get updated, I want to be able to reinstall the new flash. Just waiting for another 600 miles to get my first 3k mile service done.