Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Accurately getting 15 psi into tires

Guages are most accurate when used in the middle of their range. So a 120# tire guage is not what I prefer for the front tires. Wondering what works good for you.

Spyder Garage

This is what I use to check the pressure. Easy to adjust by either pumping in air or letting air out, and their is no air loss when disconnecting. I also used it for adjusting the air in the rear air bag. Of course if more than a pound or two is needed I use my air compressor, and then final adjustment with the hand pump.

https://www.shoputahharley.com/produ...kaAonHEALw_wcB

There are other brands available, but I had this from my Harley days.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I use this and this. Works really good and seems very accurate always within a tenth or two of my FOBO2 TPMS.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0684

and

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0602

Spyder Garage

While gauges may be most accurate in the middle of their ranges, a variety of gauges with similar or identical ranges from different manufacturers could have substantial variations, as could multiple gauges of the same model/style from the same manufacturer, although one would expect those from the same manufacturer to have smaller, variations but don't bet on it. The consumer has neither any idea of the calibration accuracy of individual gauges at the time of purchase nor the degradation of calibration over time and use. We're not dealing here with scientific laboratory accuracy either so, IMO, the safest bet is to do some research on gauges, select the one that meets the standard(s) one expects and dole out the $$. Again IMO, one wants a gauge that is easy to use and, most important, results in the least air escaping when pressing onto and removing the chuck from the valve stem. After that, one then has to only contend with the amount of air in the tires to get the ride the rider finds best for their preferred quality of ride. FWIW, I purchased the gauge in the picture from the dealership when I bought my Spyder. As a matter of practice, when I check tire pressure weekly or before a ride if the bike has not been used within a week of last pressure check, if the gauge reads below the pressure I routinely set I add more air than necessary and bleed it down with the gauge to the setting I prefer. I use a floor bicycle pump that is more than adequate for Spyder tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought several fairly expensive gauges some years ago, intending to keep one with each vehicle. I also have a good one on the end of the air hose for my compressor. They are all the rotary dial analog type.

Recently, I had reason to compare the reading for trailer tires on two different gauges and found they were 6psi different. I then brought together all my gauges and found variations between several of them. Then I checked them against the TPMS on my truck. Eventually I was able to narrow it down to the two or three that were most inaccurate and sidelined them. I wish I had done this when I first bought them; I don't know if the 'bad' ones started out that way or became that way over time.

Rather unsettling to discover after all this time that I never really knew what pressure I had been running in my Spyder tires particularly.

Consumer Reports says digital gauges seem to be the most reliable type so I may get some of those.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Small digital gauge to start with and FOBO's for final adjustment.

Spyder Garage

This air gauge has a "no air loss" feature. I never here that frustrating FFFFT.

https://images.pepboys.com/images/pr...8100/20475.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    This air gauge has a "no air loss" feature. I never here that frustrating FFFFT.

Hey, that's the same gauge I use. The FFFFT= about 1/2 to 1/4 psi, depending on how fast you are. I've discovered hearing aids help with the process. LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Hey, that's the same gauge I use. The FFFFT= about 1/2 to 1/4 psi, depending on how fast you are. I've discovered hearing aids help with the process. LOL
    I never tried using hearing aids to check air pressure. How does that work?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

15 PSI will lead to cupped tires. do your homework.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    This is what I use to check the pressure. Easy to adjust by either pumping in air or letting air out, and their is no air loss when disconnecting. I also used it for adjusting the air in the rear air bag. Of course if more than a pound or two is needed I use my air compressor, and then final adjustment with the hand pump.

Interesting. How do you adapt it to attach to a standard tire valve?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You will never know until you get a pair.

Spyder Garage

Same here PW! I use it on my Specialized E-bike as well. It does take a lot of pumps to increase a front tire by 2psi though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post

I wondered if that would work on a tire. HD is proud of their stuff ($), but it's usually quality.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I use this and this. Works really good and seems very accurate always within a tenth or two of my FOBO2 TPMS.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0684

and

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0602
    I like the air chuck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    While gauges may be most accurate in the middle of their ranges, a variety of gauges with similar or identical ranges from different manufacturers could have substantial variations, as could multiple gauges of the same model/style from the same manufacturer, although one would expect those from the same manufacturer to have smaller, variations but don't bet on it. The consumer has neither any idea of the calibration accuracy of individual gauges at the time of purchase nor the degradation of calibration over time and use. We're not dealing here with scientific laboratory accuracy either so, IMO, the safest bet is to do some research on gauges, select the one that meets the standard(s) one expects and dole out the $$. Again IMO, one wants a gauge that is easy to use and, most important, results in the least air escaping when pressing onto and removing the chuck from the valve stem. After that, one then has to only contend with the amount of air in the tires to get the ride the rider finds best for their preferred quality of ride. FWIW, I purchased the gauge in the picture from the dealership when I bought my Spyder. As a matter of practice, when I check tire pressure weekly or before a ride if the bike has not been used within a week of last pressure check, if the gauge reads below the pressure I routinely set I add more air than necessary and bleed it down with the gauge to the setting I prefer. I use a floor bicycle pump that is more than adequate for Spyder tires.
    Bicycle pump with a guage was on my mind!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

Cruzr Joe
    This falls in the homework category!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood View Post
    I wondered if that would work on a tire. HD is proud of their stuff ($), but it's usually quality.
    I use a pump similar to that on my shocks on my sleds, I find that when you have to unscrew the hose, lot's of times you will loose a little air! I can't picture how many times you would have to pump the thing to do a car tire size unit!! Think you would get very tired!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Interesting. How do you adapt it to attach to a standard tire valve?
    It threads on standard valve stems. The valve under the seat for the air bag is the same size as the tire valve stem.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I use a pump similar to that on my shocks on my sleds, I find that when you have to unscrew the hose, lot's of times you will loose a little air! I can't picture how many times you would have to pump the thing to do a car tire size unit!! Think you would get very tired!!
    That's why I use my air compressor to get close. A lot of pumps to add air, but it's free exercise

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood View Post
    Guages are most accurate when used in the middle of their range. So a 120# tire guage is not what I prefer for the front tires. Wondering what works good for you.
    If you want a pencil-type gauge, look in the ATV section or the lawn mower section, you can usually find a low-pressure gauge that goes to 30 psi. If you want a round-dial type gauge, look in the same areas. Digital gauges seem to be the best, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    While gauges may be most accurate in the middle of their ranges, a variety of gauges with similar or identical ranges from different manufacturers could have substantial variations, as could multiple gauges of the same model/style from the same manufacturer, although one would expect those from the same manufacturer to have smaller, variations but don't bet on it. The consumer has neither any idea of the calibration accuracy of individual gauges at the time of purchase nor the degradation of calibration over time and use.
    And, when you do your comparison of several gauges, you may find that a few of them agree, but you still have no assurance that they are the 'accurate' ones. Even taking them to the tire store to compare against THEIR gauges is not much of an assurance. Where do you go to check accuracy?

That is the gauge that I have settled on. I know that we have one in the Spyder, I think I also have one for my Suzuki.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    And yet, according to at least two of the tire experts here, 16 PSI is perfect. If using 15 PSI is cupping YOUR tires, it might be a matter of gauge accuracy, tire brand and construction or simply a matter of riding style. I think there might be a bit of 'homework' on YOUR end, too.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If my FOFO's are not lying to me, my tire pressures are constantly in flux due to many ambient influences. During a 200 mile Sunday ride over cold mountain passes and down into warm valleys and along twisty river gorges, my tire pressures constantly change. But, the tires ride well and hang onto the corners and there are no signs of them cupping. Buy quality car tires keep them properly inflated and that should be the least of your worries. Enjoy the ride. Bladder pressure ranks higher than tire pressure if you know what I mean. LOL

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Accuracy of the gauge is not critical, repeatability is. Even if your gauge is off by 2 psi find the pressure reading on it that gives you the performance and tire life you want. But it needs to have good repeatability so every time you check you can be sure how much is it has really changed from that last time.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

This is what I use, allows inflation, deflation, digital read out, easy push to connect and almost no loss pressure at disconnect. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White