Spyder Garage

Default Pool of Water in the Frunk

The last couple times I've washed with soap and water my RT (mostly using sponge and no pressure hose), I've found water in the front trunk. I'm not talking moist but along the lines of a bucket of water. Is this just a problem with my 2017 RT or is this a common problem? Any solution?

Given with what I see, I can't see any better way of closing/sealing the frunk so water doesn't seep in. Seems more like a design issue than a "me issue". But who knows. Given that I haven't driven the RT too much in the rain and store it in the garage, I can't tell if this is a problem I only see when the RT is parked and at standstill or also a problem also when riding in the rain. Either way, the wife isn't going to be happy to see her few clothes she's traveling be sopping wet if it rains. Any suggestions?

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

check and make sure that the rubber seal is properly in place (you do have a rubber seal, right?).

check and make sure that the Frunk lid is properly closing all the way.

check that the rubber seal has no broken or cracked areas, if so replace it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

if you accumulate too much water, there is a rubber plug on bottom under the fleece liner that you can pull
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    check and make sure that the rubber seal is properly in place (you do have a rubber seal, right?).

check and make sure that the Frunk lid is properly closing all the way.

check that the rubber seal has no broken or cracked areas, if so replace it.

Cruzr Joe
    ………… and also check that the seal around the Battery cover is in/on properly .... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand check the FUSE box covers …both sides ..... I also had water in frunk and discovered one of the fuse box covers wasn't tight ...... , after fixing NO more water in Frunk ..... I also drilled small holes in each corner , no water came in from doing that ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ………… and also check that the seal around the Battery cover is in/on properly .... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand check the FUSE box covers …both sides ..... I also had water in frunk and discovered one of the fuse box covers wasn't tight ...... , after fixing NO more water in Frunk ..... I also drilled small holes in each corner , no water came in from doing that ..... Mike
    This could be the issue. The last time I washed the RT I avoided the frunk lid as much as possible but still found water in the frunk. When I was drying things out I thought about checking the battery cover looked loose (but didn't check it firther) I wonder when I took my Spyder in it's 3000K checkup they didn't tigten some of the battery/fuse covers. I'll check it out! Thanks!

- Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

My money is on this; mine had water in it a couple of different times and turns out the battery cover was improperly installed allowing water shedding from the windscreen area to flow into the frunk.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not you and it's not the design of the bike's bodywork. So it's got to be something else.

If you bought it used, check to see if the previous owner made any modifications in or around the frunk 'lip' (where the gasket goes) that created a path for water to get in.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It's not you and it's not the design of the bike's bodywork. So it's got to be something else.

If you bought it used, check to see if the previous owner made any modifications in or around the frunk 'lip' (where the gasket goes) that created a path for water to get in.
    Pete I know you are trying to help on this ….. But have you read ALL the other Posts ????? /…………………….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Never had an issue with my '15 RT. Check your lid seal as it's not impossible for it to get pulled and to the side, particularly towards the top rear of the frunk.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete I know you are trying to help on this ….. But have you read ALL the other Posts ????? /…………………….. Mike
    Which ones do you mean, Mike?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Which ones do you mean, Mike?
    Careful Pete you'll end up on his bad boy list!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

No mods on the RT...purchased new by me. I'm going to take a look at the battery cover and fuse covers as Mike suggests. Perhaps when I hosed under the Spyder...that's how the water seeped in.

Spyder Garage

Rarely is it going to leak around the top hood gasket. Even if the gasket is bad. Some folks drill holes for battery tender cable or other wiring. I have seen posted, the battery tender cable wedged between the battery access cover. Fusebox access covers not install fully maybe. Most likely it is the battery access cover not installed correctly. Bottom or side pins not hooked. That leaves a gap.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I would definitly check my frunk un zip and make sure my fuse box is dry. Not the first time they were wet! Please check if it was that wet! It happens to the RTS. THe boxe's are suppossed to be water proof but on our 2014 they are not, check them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
    I would definitly check my frunk un zip and make sure my fuse box is dry. Not the first time they were wet! Please check if it was that wet! It happens to the RTS. THe boxe's are suppossed to be water proof but on our 2014 they are not, check them.
    You are confusing water leaking into the trunk from the fuse access covers and water leaking into the fuse box. Two different covers and completely different unrelated problems.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    No mods on the RT...purchased new by me. I'm going to take a look at the battery cover and fuse covers as Mike suggests. Perhaps when I hosed under the Spyder...that's how the water seeped in.
    Update. Three Spyder washes, one huge storm while parked, and one huge storm driving...and a dry frunk. Looks like the culprit was a loose batter cover. Thanks to all those that made the suggestions.