Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just wanted to say THANKS to all of you who have contributed to this list!!!!!!!!! There is wonderful information here for folks who have never ridden a spyder before.

I have been looking around a lot lately to try and find the Spyder I want to purchase, but in the meantime I have been searching these forums on an almost daily basis reading about all the mods people are doing. It's really giving me the itch to go buy one, especially with the great deals right now on the '14s.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great post

I am guilty of changing gears too early, now I know what I should be doing, I will

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ttc View Post
    Great post

I am guilty of changing gears too early, now I know what I should be doing, I will

FYI - The opinion on RPM is just that. When taking it easy, or around town, I keep it under 4K rpm, usually cruising around 3500rpm. I have no idea why folks recommend more, (mileage is not a valid reason) unless the discussion relates to SE models and preserving the clutch. I also observed that the 2009 SE5 I drove was a vibration machine where as my 2011 SM is SMOOTH. There is ample power available from 3000rpm's and up for around town. For freeway / highway, or higher speed riding, more RPM's are useful, but definitely not NECESASARY. And revving the engine higher, is certain to use more fuel, not less.

Just my opinion, but I personally believe the RPM recommendation (to stay over 5K rpm) is misguided, and wrong. Perhaps there was some change made after 2008, that made it smoother, but either way, I don't run my vehicles anywhere near their torque peak at steady speeds, unless max towing, into the wind. The lowest rpm that provides sufficient power, that the engine rus smoothly at, is the correct rpm.

Lovin the new Spyder, 400+ miles in the first 5 days of ownership!
    Last edited by isthatahemi; 04-21-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by isthatahemi View Post
    FYI - The opinion on RPM is just that. When taking it easy, or around town, I keep it under 4K rpm, usually cruising around 3500rpm. I have no idea why folks recommend more, (mileage is not a valid reason) unless the discussion relates to SE models and preserving the clutch. I also observed that the 2009 SE5 I drove was a vibration machine where as my 2011 SM is SMOOTH. There is ample power available from 3000rpm's and up for around town. For freeway / highway, or higher speed riding, more RPM's are useful, but definitely not NECESASARY. And revving the engine higher, is certain to use more fuel, not less.

Just my opinion, but I personally believe the RPM recommendation (to stay over 5K rpm) is misguided, and wrong. Perhaps there was some change made after 2008, that made it smoother, but either way, I don't run my vehicles anywhere near their torque peak at steady speeds, unless max towing, into the wind. The lowest rpm that provides sufficient power, that the engine rus smoothly at, is the correct rpm.
    Lovin the new Spyder, 400+ miles in the first 5 days of ownership!
    Wondered about the high RPM ranges myself. I've had my 2011 RS-S, SM5 for a month now and noticed high RPMs lower gas mileage. Lower RPMs 4000 and under (around town) better gas mileage.
    Currently Own: 2011 RS-S SM5 - BRP Comfort Seat, Juice Box Pro, Two Brothers Exhaust

Previously Owned: 1991 GS500E

Spyder Garage

Personally, I don't care for the noise of an engine spinning 2K higher than necessary. Burning fuel, generating heat, and generally making a racket. Just me though!

Spyder Garage

Default Help with shifting points

So I just bought a 2014 spyder rs sm5 and was reading through the do's and don't for new spyder riders lots of great info but can't seem to find anything specific to the sm5 manual transmission it focuses on the semiautomatic. What speed and gear are outher riders using. Is this a high rev machine? I'm coming off a Harley vrod and the shifting points seem way diffrent. Any feed back would be grate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by malecrisis View Post
    So I just bought a 2014 spyder rs sm5 and was reading through the do's and don't for new spyder riders lots of great info but can't seem to find anything specific to the sm5 manual transmission it focuses on the semiautomatic. What speed and gear are outher riders using. Is this a high rev machine? I'm coming off a Harley vrod and the shifting points seem way diffrent. Any feed back would be grate
    While this information does seem to apply only to the SE5; the shifting points and rpm's do apply for the manual shift 900 series engine and tranny.

Coming off a Harley V-twin, you'll need to get used to running your rpm's higher than you are accustomed with your Harley. Running your model Spyder between 2500-3500 rpm's will not provide you with the power and control you need -- and besides, it is hard on the entire system. I ride an Ultra-Limited and a 998 SE5 RTS. I have become quite accustomed to running each in a different manner as they require. It just takes a few miles for you to figure it out, and you'll see.

One other difference to note for you though is that you are able to run your manual clutch at lower rpm's without being as concerned with clutch slippage as you would have with the SE5 at lower rpm's -- however, as just stated, you do not want to run your 900 engine at low rpm's.

Ride safe and enjoy yourself!

Spyder Garage

Default Near Halifax

Quote Originally Posted by Tlauden View Post
    Just wanted to say THANKS to all of you who have contributed to this list!!!!!!!!! There is wonderful information here for folks who have never ridden a spyder before.

I have been looking around a lot lately to try and find the Spyder I want to purchase, but in the meantime I have been searching these forums on an almost daily basis reading about all the mods people are doing. It's really giving me the itch to go buy one, especially with the great deals right now on the '14s.
    Let me know when you do buy your first Spyder. I live in Marysville, and we just got together today with two other new Spyder owners near here for a meet and ride. We were all introduced to one another through Spyderlovers.com.. Great web site and forum.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lurking

Good thread. And the first one I've read about the Spyder. Glad it was a "sticky"! (I did skip the middle posts about the older models as I'm looking at new ones.) I'm riding two wheels but considering the switch to 3. These things are interesting and look like fun, plus the wife likes them. (doesn't trust me on 2 anymore ) All my two wheel buddies have now switched to GW trikes (officially old farts now) .......I wouldn't mind being the oddball! Back to lurking now...........

P.S. Can you buy a service manual for the Spyder?
    Last edited by mike5511; 08-31-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
    Good thread. And the first one I've read about the Spyder. Glad it was a "sticky"! (I did skip the middle posts about the older models as I'm looking at new ones.) I'm riding two wheels but considering the switch to 3. These things are interesting and look like fun, plus the wife likes them. (doesn't trust me on 2 anymore ) All my two wheel buddies have now switched to GW trikes (officially old farts now) .......I wouldn't mind being the oddball! Back to lurking now...........

A service manual is available for the Spyder. I do believe you need to go to the web to find it though.

I apologize in not knowing exactly where to get one, but I bought mine online. If you google for it you will typically find a couple vendors; of which most often both will be the same vendor despite the different names.

I would post an ask question on Spyderslovers.com to see if someone can direct you to the best source. Be sure to let everyone know in the post and in your Spyderlovers.com signature what Spyder you own. (This is a big help to those being to help you.)

Ride safe, often and aware!

Illinois Boy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    A service manual is available for the Spyder. I do believe you need to go to the web to find it though.

I apologize in not knowing exactly where to get one, but I bought mine online. If you google for it you will typically find a couple vendors; of which most often both will be the same vendor despite the different names.

I would post an ask question on Spyderslovers.com to see if someone can direct you to the best source. Be sure to let everyone know in the post and in your Spyderlovers.com signature what Spyder you own. (This is a big help to those being to help you.)Illinois Boy
    There are a lot of them on Ebay at very reasonable prices. Most are in PDF format and come on a CD. That makes them easy to search.

Try this search link.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
    Your best bet quality wise is to buy the printed manual through the dealer, but that's also the most pricey way. Whoever the official producer of the Can Am manuals is, they apparently do not make a PDF copy available for sale. I really believe the PDF copies that are sold on the 'net are not legitimate, but the manufacturers must not care too much as the guys seem to stay in business, or else they're based in a foreign country somewhere where BRP can't reach them. The 2013 RT manual I got from Best Manuals is complete and is searchable. However, the images in the parts manual section suck. Resolution is quite poor. I usually end up going to the BRP parts website to get a good copy of a parts diagram. The price is right, about $30.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)