Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default First Impression 2020 RTL

For ****s and giggles stopped at the local dealer to check it out. They had a Chalk White RTL Chrome. I was impressed to say the least. It looked great. Sat on it and everything fell into place. Handlebars, seating position, and those floor boards. Wow were they comfortable. Even the back seat area with more room. They had just delivered a blue one. And they have 3 red ones sold already. That's where the joy ended. I knew talking trade in I was going to get hammered. I have a 2016 F3L. Added the rear trunk, amp, speakers, trailer hitch, Ultimate seat, W/S and lots of other stuff. Including another year of warranty. He opens the book, looks at me and gives me a below wholesale trade in price. I said that's crazy. He replies your bike just isn't worth anything. How much you knocking off yours? Nothing. I don't have to. I had a good laugh and walked out. The salesman I had been talking to came out to the parking lot, said he was sorry we couldn't get a deal done. Nice guy. Felt sorry for him he had a dick for a boss.
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

And so it goes with dealerships. Nothing has changed in all my 80 years. All dealerships have the attitude of "screw you and more money for me". This includes autos, trucks, and motorsports.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

WOW! that is indeed sad that BRP has those kind of dealers with such attitudes... I would tell every Spyder owner OR potential owner in your part of the world about your "Richard Noggin's" attitude..
    find another dealer and happy riding.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I have held the opinion for some time now that the real weak link in BRP products is the horrible reputation for inconsistency in their licensed Dealer/Service network. I have never seen this with any other motorcycle brand (maybe I've been lucky). It's as if BRP doesn't know (which I doubt), or doesn't care, or knows and cares but cannot do anything about it. Whatever the reason, I think it is limiting their sales and brand appeal.

Spyder Garage

I suppose the dealer could have been a bit more gentle with you but the fact is: Used Can Am's depreciate like a rock thrown off a cliff. In comparison, average depreciation on a 4 year old car is 50% so they are similar. Accessories are worth nothing on resale.

If you can't allow the dealer to make a profit you can't expect him to stay in business to service your vehicle when it's needed.

By the way. I am not now nor have I ever been a motorsports dealer or employee of one. I'm just a pragmatist.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob204bc View Post
    I suppose the dealer could have been a bit more gentle with you but the fact is: Used Can Am's depreciate like a rock thrown off a cliff. In comparison, average depreciation on a 4 year old car is 50% so they are similar. Accessories are worth nothing on resale.

If you can't allow the dealer to make a profit you can't expect him to stay in business to service your vehicle when it's needed.

By the way. I am not now nor have I ever been a motorsports dealer or employee of one. I'm just a pragmatist.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob204bc View Post

I agree trade ins are bad, and yes dealer needs to make a profit. Re read my post. Below wholesale trade in, on FULL retail new bike. Just how much does he need to make. That's a deal that sends him to Hawaii for a week. I have the BRP trunk on my bike. Not worth anything? I have traded in bikes before. Was always treated fairly and not blatantly lied to. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Spyder Garage

Resale value isn't that Good on any motorcycle. I traded my 2014 Indian Chieftain with 17 k miles after 2 years for my 15 RTS. I had 5k in accessories including factory trunk. Total 28,000 not counting tax and fees. Gave me 19k. So lost over 9k in 2 years and bike was in high demand.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I agree trade ins are bad, and yes dealer needs to make a profit. Re read my post. Below wholesale trade in, on FULL retail new bike. Just how much does he need to make. That's a deal that sends him to Hawaii for a week. I have the BRP trunk on my bike. Not worth anything? I have traded in bikes before. Was always treated fairly and not blatantly lied to. Tom
    Take the top case off and sell it on Facebook/spyderlovers. I'm sure it wont' take anything off your trade in value. Kelly Blue Book trade in for my 2018 F3 Limited was $17,400. the Dealer gave me $16,000 and no charge for delivery or assembly. Based on what I've seen Spyders sell for I thought it was a decent offer. A lot easier than trying to sell myself. With the BRP $1000 rebate and extra year of warranty I went for it.

Spyder Garage

It's unfortunate that your dealer didn't want to budge off list price. I'm thinking that's the way it is for a new model year. Theres no doubt, they will sell like hotcakes.
    My dealer up here (Caswell Cycle) in Mora,Minnesota, has always given me a fair price on new Spyders or snowmobiles. BUT, he knows that all my servicing and most add-on's are going to be at his shop. Even clothing.
    In reality now days though, there is not usually a lot of mark up for a dealership to make on new vehicles. The money now days is in service and accessories.
    In the past on all my vehicles, cars and sports that I'm negotiating on, the first thing out of my mouth is that ALL my servicing, etc will be done at that dealership.
    I'm very loyal to my dealerships. You take care of me and I will take care of you !!!

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, he could be hoping to double dip on big profits, but then again, he may want your bike low give it a week or two at high markup then unload it to get it off the floor. Obviously the other scenario is that the 2020 is currently out, and has a good demand. The economy for many allows them some toy money and maybe the dealer is banking on that.

Either way, no doubt what you have is sweet and you can always make the change when things cool off a bit in regards to demand. Most of my Spyder friends are liking the new 2020 but staying with their current Spyders as they do not feel the $30000 machine is worth the added new expense.

Spyder Garage

At least from what I've read here on SL, including Joe Meyer's very favorable comments, the 2020 RTL is getting very good reviews. As such, dealers have little incentive to dicker off MSRP. Would you if you were in the business? Give 'em a few months and see what may change.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Right on above. Mostly favorable reviews, latest, and bestest...makes for a tough to get deal on the 2020 RT's. Most will have to pay a little more to play.

Year end closeout will be the place and time for the best deals on the new 2020's.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-06-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The best time to buy a vehicle is late in the day on the last Saturday of the month, or maybe the last day of the month. If the dealer hasn't made his quota for the month he'll be more willing to deal. If he won't deal on the last day he sure isn't going to deal any better early in the month. One of the best deals I ever made on a car was between 5 and 6 pm on the last Saturday. Handed the salesman a check made out to the dealership with the amount I was willing to pay filled in, and the title for the trade in. I said all I have to do is sign these two pieces of paper, you take them, and you will have sold the car. I drove it home!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The best time to buy a vehicle is late in the day on the last Saturday of the month, or maybe the last day of the month. If the dealer hasn't made his quota for the month he'll be more willing to deal. If he won't deal on the last day he sure isn't going to deal any better early in the month. One of the best deals I ever made on a car was between 5 and 6 pm on the last Saturday. Handed the salesman a check made out to the dealership with the amount I was willing to pay filled in, and the title for the trade in. I said all I have to do is sign these two pieces of paper, you take them, and you will have sold the car. I drove it home!
    Another right on comment.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Don't be afraid to call around to make a deal. You might have to sell yours outright to get the best deal. Doing that, everyone makes out.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Right on above. Mostly favorable reviews, latest, and bestest...makes for a tough to get deal on the 2020 RT's. Most will have to pay a little more to play.

Year end closeout will be the place and time for the best deals on the new 2020's.

Agreed. There currently is not a brand equivalent to a Can-Am trike on the market so their only competition is another Can-Am. If you have opted to “trade in”, in the eyes of the dealer, you are a distressed seller. For dealers NADA is the Bible and you should know and be “ok” with that trade in value going in. If they offer less than that then they are screwing you unless the condition is unacceptable. That said the trade in process allows the buyer to bypass the pain of dealing with the parade of strangers contacting you and waisting your time. It allows ease of transfer of ownership to that sparkling new one sitting on the showroom floor. In the end you will ALWAYS get more with a private sale you just have to separate in your head the process of selling the old and the absolute joy of buying new.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Start to market your F3L for private sale. There is no rush, the 2020s will be here for a long time. The price you get in a private sale will most likely be better than what the dealer will offer. A private buyer will care about the items you have added and that will help your price. It might take 6 months to sell it, and in that time you will hear about any "issues" that crop up with the 2020 model. So patience will serve you well, and if the worse happens and you are forced to ryde that old 2016 F3L until February 2021, you will find that same dealer will be far more interested in dealing on a "left-over" 2020. Also, don't forget, this is the first year of a brand new model...….there could be some kinks that BRP still needs to work out. But, that 2020 is sure sweet.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

It is hard to beat trade in over private sale ,as for the tax saving you save.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Wait and see, a friend of mine whenever he was in the market for a new car would go to an auto show, He and his wife would decide on what car they were in the market for, and then wait 2 to 3 years for the bugs to be worked out and then buy that vehicle used Just a thought. Any of our vehciles we drive them until they have to be towed out of the driveway, I am hoping that our 13 RTL will be the same. Thanks guys
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

I agree with Hank 100% about the dealers and the ultimate loss of Spyder sales!!!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Update. Different dealer, much better deal. Seminole Powersports really worked with me. $3500 difference between dealers. Also said keep the Ultimate seat, and hitch. And he is switching my F3 wheels and car tires for the ones on the RTL for free. Both sides very happy. Tom

Spyder Garage

Update. Different dealer, much better deal. Seminole Powersports really worked with me. $3500 difference between dealers. Also said keep the Ultimate seat, and hitch. And he is switching my F3 wheels and car tires for the ones on the RTL for free. Both sides very happy. Tom
    Shopping around pays. Dealing with various dealers can be "interesting" to say the least. I went to two in my hunt for the F3. The difference was also night and day.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sadly enough the only vehicles one doesn't get screwed on in trade in too bad are Toyota's, Honda cars, Jeeps and sometimes full size trucks. I actually considered going back to 2 wheels after finally having both hips replaced. After looking at what I would lose on trade in I've decided to ride my F3T into the ground! lol After adding the BRP topcase and M2 shocks and other add ons...........The only people I'd freely give away 5000 dollars,in accessories, to are my kids. But I still wish that I hadn't sat on the new Indian Challenger lol

Spyder Garage

Just wait until the end of the model year when BRP overproduces Spyders and there are dozens sitting on the dealers' lots. Then they will be begging for your business. And by the end of the model year, BRP may have worked out some of the quality control issues we've also read about.
    2017 RTS , Blue