Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Electric vehicles Who will pay the road tax

Just because you get an electric Spyder or car, people think "at least I am not paying *** a gallon for gas". Well guess what, you will be charged a use (Fed Road tax and in some places a State road tax) on all electric vehicles, everybody will have to pay one no matter what you drive. It may not be now, but it will happen. And also, a very high electric bill. (Rates only go up!)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2023 at 03:38 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

My question would be how would this tax be applied? Would this be a flat rate tax or a per mile tax. And if per mile how would the mileage be verified? Sorry but it's a little too early in the morning for my brain to deal with such complex issues. Back to Saturday morning cartoons. That's my euphemism for C-Span
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

A few years ago I read the Federal Goverment was trying GPS on cars to see how many miles they went. Their first though was ( a few years ago) was around 33 cents I mile. That was the problem they were looking into "how the the Federal road tax on an electric vehicle?" If you are no longer buying fuel, (No tax money) some how they had to figure a way to pay for the road repairs.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Ohio charges $100 extra on registration for hybrid and $200 for ev
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

You can count on the fact that "they" will figure it out. "They" are not going to give up a tax bonanza.

My chance to jump in and say...EV's are not for me. I have been saying this for over 10 years now. We are starting to hear about problems with battery fires, and comments about running out of charge because there are not enough chargers. And, who wants to wait in line if each car has to wait 20 or more minutes for a "quick" charge. I can't wait to head out to a National park when the EV era is in full bloom.

Kool aid anyone????
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-18-2023 at 06:27 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    Just because you get an electric Spyder or car, people think " at least I am not paying *** a gallon for gas. Well guess what , you will be charged a use (Fed Road tax and some places State road tax) on all electric vehicles , everybody will have to pay one no matter what you drive. It may not be now , but it will happen. And also,a very high electric bill. (Rates only go up)
    Many people who choose to go electric do so to help save the environment (every little bit helps). Others because it's cool. Others because it's the wave of the future and they like being part of it. I don't think anyone expects it be more convenient or cheaper than operating a conventional ICE vehicle, at least not in the near term.

Gas and diesel taxes are a politically acceptable way of funding roads, paid for by those who use them (which is why off-highway diesel is cheaper than normal use fuel). Otherwise there would need to be tolls everywhere. Of course electric vehicles will have to pay their share of road costs.

For many of us, it's a non-issue, because ICE powered machinery and vehicles aren't going to be obsolete any time soon, if ever, if the oil companies have anything to say about it, which they do.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 03-18-2023 at 12:03 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I believe whatever the US Gov. wants ...... they will GET - and the Gov. has been working towards less Smog and Pollution from cars, trucks, & motorcycles for many years now, and they will get it ... and WE will pay for it, simple as that. UNLESS this whole thing falls apart, and I think THAT sure Might happen just any time .... but .... let's Just Ride and Enjoy every day while we still can. J.M.O.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2023 at 03:43 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    A few years ago I read the Federal Goverment was trying GPS on cars to see how many miles they went.
    You can be sure the American public would never tolerate allowing the government tracking their movements via GPS for tax purposes or any other reason. I certainly wouldn't.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Many people who choose to go electric do so to help save the environment (every little bit helps).
    Gas and diesel taxes are a politically acceptable way of funding roads, paid for by those who use them (which is why off-highway diesel is cheaper than normal use fuel). Otherwise there would need to be tolls everywhere.
    Those same people are blindly unaware/ignorant of where the batteries come from and how they are manufactured.
    State Excise Tax funds highways/roads. Our government has a tendency to waste those tax dollars on their pet projects rather than using the money wisely, hence the need to tax us more.
    21 Spyder base F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    You can be sure the American public would never tolerate allowing the government tracking their movements via GPS for tax purposes or any other reason. I certainly wouldn't.
    I don't think that is even a consideration at this point. Let's not worry about something that's pure conjecture.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Those same people are blindly unaware/ignorant of where the batteries come from and how they are manufactured.
    State Excise Tax funds highways/roads. Our government has a tendency to waste those tax dollars on their pet projects rather than using the money wisely, hence the need to tax us more.
    Now you're talking about state government, not federal. The excise tax rate and how those funds are applied certainly varies by state.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 03-18-2023 at 12:34 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    I believe whatever the US Gov. want's ...... they will GET . and the Gov. has been working towards less Smog , and Pollution from car's truck's & motor cycle's for many years , and they will get it ... and WE will pay for it , simple as that . UNLESS this whole thing falls apart , and I think THAT sure Might happen just any time.... but.... let's Just Ride and Enjoy everyday while we still can. J.M.O.
    You do realize I hope, there is no monolithic constant entity known as THE US Government. The direction of policy changes every election cycle, as public values and priorities shift over time. To paraphrase a cartoon character; "we have met the Government and they is US"
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Whatever they do I hope they include bicycles into the equation.
    If they use the road, then they need to pay also.
    It's gotten to where in parts of the country it is downright hard to commute without them in the way.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Whatever they do I hope they include bicycles into the equation.
    If they use the road, then they need to pay also.
    It's gotten to where in parts of the country it is downright hard to commute without them in the way.
    When they provide safe dedicated bicycle lanes, I'll be happy to pay.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A around town EV might be useful as you could potentially keep it charged in your Garage Charger.............If you have a house.

Secondly utilizing EV's for so called Climate Change control need to spend a little time to in depth study the absurdly of of such reasoning.......From Battery production, Tires and Grid power requirements.

I think having something like a Chevy Bolt for around town usage providing you have the ability to charge it at Home would not be a bad idea.

My $.02 worth.........
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Almost all ol the proposals for taxing electric vehicles a road use tax will be at a higher rate than what would be the same miles on a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle. The electric vehicles are a lot heavier and would cause more wear and tear on the roads, due to the weight of the batteries required to power them. You can be sure the government will be getting all the road tax money thy can out of them.

The problem with not using a GPS system of some kind to determine road use of electric vehicles, is that much of the current road tax is a state tax and every state is different. It is controlled now, but which state you buy the gas in. If the vehicle was electric, the tax would have to use a GPS system to determine which state the vehicle is driven in, or the tax would have to be paid at the charging station. If it is charged at home, the home owner's power bill will go up. There is already a tax proposal in some states for charging electric vehicles. As I understand it, the slow home chargers have little affect on usage, but the home quick charging systems put a significant drain on the grid and would show up with the smart meters. The slow chargers might work for a grocery getter, but a work vehicle would not be ready for another day with the slow charge rates. I am not an expert, but I once had a residential electrical contractor license and I have read a lot on the subject.

I don't really care much what they do. I am old and don't plan to ever buy another vehicle. The only way I would is if my old truck was ever totalled out. Let the grandkids worry about that stuff.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I have an all electric car. Great for commuting back and forth to work or local trips. Absolutely worthless for any long distance travel.

It is a shame. But the EV myth is widely believed. The grid is not able to reliably sustain the current load. Under current restrictions it is nearly impossible to build a generating facility these days. No one is explaining how this plan to go all electric comes together.

EV's being less polluting is a myth. You have to leave out a lot of facts for this narrative to survive. Just as it is a myth that ethanol fuel saves on pollution and fossil fuels.

Most are simply not interested in looking behind the curtain. So, the Wizard of Oz never comes face to face with Paul Harvey...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have an all electric car. Great for commuting back and forth to work or local trips. Absolutely worthless for any long distance travel.

It is a shame. But the EV myth is widely believed. The grid is not able to reliably sustain the current load. Under current restrictions it is nearly impossible to build a generating facility these days. No one is explaining how this plan to go all electric comes together.

EV's being less polluting is a myth. You have to leave out a lot of facts for this narrative to survive. Just as it is a myth that ethanol fuel saves on pollution and fossil fuels.

Most are simply not interested in looking behind the curtain. So, the Wizard of Oz never comes face to face with Paul Harvey...
    I agree 100%
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I belong to MC club and we have a meeting once a month for breakfast and to BS with one another. We meet at a local restaurant which is located at the end of an off ramp of a MAJOR north/south interstate freeway. The owner of the restaurant, over the last year, installed a very large EV charging station that's powered by a GIANT array of solar panels that covers the entire parking lot. The dam thing is huge! There are four charging stations and one super fast charging station. Over the past year, I've never seen more than one EV at a time hooked up to a charging station. I spoke with the owner and he said he hoped to be seeing a return in about five years, but he said at the rate things are going right now it's likely to be more than five years.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 03-18-2023 at 01:42 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    A around town EV might be useful as you could potentially keep it charged in your Garage Charger.............If you have a house.

Secondly utilizing EV's for so called Climate Change control need to spend a little time to in depth study the absurdly of of such reasoning.......From Battery production, Tires and Grid power requirements.

I think having something like a Chevy Bolt for around town usage providing you have the ability to charge it at Home would not be a bad idea.

My $.02 worth.........
    I think the objective is to drastically reduce the pollution caused by ICE vehicles used in commuting, for which the EV is ideally suited.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think the objective is to drastically reduce the pollution caused by ICE vehicles used in commuting, for which the EV is ideally suited.
    Which does not take into consideration the pollution created by generating and delivering the electricity, the horrific devastation created in mining the lithium, or the disposal of the material when spent.

The story is focused only on the sweet spot. Tailpipe emissions. When you widen the lens to take in the full picture. It's not nearly as rosy. If it were. They would be telling the whole story.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Which does not take into consideration the pollution created by generating and delivering the electricity, the horrific devastation created in mining the lithium, or the disposal of the material when spent.

The story is focused only on the sweet spot. Tailpipe emissions. When you widen the lens to take in the full picture. It's not nearly as rosy. If it were. They would be telling the whole story.
    Next step I think will be tackling methane emissions from bovines. Expect the cost of red meat to go way up to pay for all the mandated re-usable cow fart capture bags. I think....

Somehow, we have got to clean up the atmosphere, which is currently a more urgent issue than the relatively minor environmental damage caused by mining the minerals used in the manufacture of batteries and solar panels.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 03-18-2023 at 02:38 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Gotta love all the EV haters. I am always amused at the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    If you have a cell phone in your pocket, you already are Greg. Every second of every day you carry that phone around. And if your car/truck is newer than say 2012 or so, it is also.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Somehow, we have got to clean up the atmosphere, which is currently a more urgent issue than the relatively minor environmental damage caused by mining the minerals used in the manufacture of batteries and solar panels.
    I couldn't agree more.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I am willing to bet that the State of Maine will come up with a way of taxing at the public charging stations! They have there hand out in your pocket every time you turn your head!
    2012 RTL , Pearl