Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyders not for real men

I had a gentlemen about mid fifties come over to ask me some questions about my Sypder. His son had just bought a motorcycle and he was thinking about buying to and was looking at options. He said he had riden years ago but did not feel safe on them any more. So when he started asking questions I gave them the regular run down.

Yes its fun
    Yes its much more stable
    Yes its safer
    Yes its easier
    No its not hard to drive
    Yes they are expensive but you can find great deals on used ones
    See its automatic
    Yes it backs up

Then he said " well I really like it but its not for real men"
    "ok" i said "since more men then women ride them I will let them know"

As he walked away I thought to myself "well there goes another one that will buy something he cant really ride or will be to afraid to ride"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I had a gentlemen about mid fifties come over to ask me some questions about my Sypder. His son had just bought a motorcycle and he was thinking about buying to and was looking at options. He said he had riden years ago but did not feel safe on them any more. So when he started asking questions I gave them the regular run down.

Yes its fun
    Yes its much more stable
    Yes its safer
    Yes its easier
    No its not hard to drive
    Yes they are expensive but you can find great deals on used ones
    See its automatic
    Yes it backs up

As he walked away I thought to myself "well there goes another one that will buy something he cant really ride or will be to afraid to ride"
    Sometimes you have to wonder what goes on in someone's mind. Sounds like he had his mind made up ahead of time or just wanted to be a jerk.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some people just don't get it, and I'm totally OK with that. I didn't get it either until I spent some time on a good friends before I bought mine.
    Its a totally different type of ride.
    Also, the only part I think is easier is not having to put my feet down at lights. When riding hard I am much more worn out riding the Spyder hard vs anything on 2 wheels I've ridden hard....lol

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sadly they get into trouble and accidents getting the wrong one. Saw it way to many times...live and learn..key word here is "live "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

He'll be the guy that buys a brand new 2 wheeler and in 2 years barely puts on 2K miles and wants MSRP when he goes to sell it because he doesn't feel safe on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Bottom line is, they have to ride it. Once they do that, I feel most are sold. Then they realize, this is pretty cool !!!

Tommy J.
    Last edited by fireplug98; 01-03-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Default YUP.....

YUP..... me too....
    i was at a bike gathering at Quaker Steaks here in Greenville, SC and a couple guys in their 50's (i'm mid 60's) had about the same questions and answers... they walked away laff'n as if i were crazy... the next Saturday morning i brought my SPYD3R in for an oil change, and YOU GUESSED IT... the guy that was the most negative, had taken one out for a ride and i saw him roll back into the shop all excited... don't know if he bought it, but he had a smile on his face as big as TEXAS....

I get a hoot out of some people... if you don't like what they like, they think you're an idiot...
    my answer is: "if everyone liked only the same things, this life would be boring as hell"... 032.jpg

Spyder Garage

I've heard something simular said to me; only it was said as "...but it's not a bike". These types of comments are made by males with confidence issues and no amount of educating them will help them to uncloud their testosterone driven judgement. I just keep my distance from people like that because a comment like that proves to me that more than likely, there is nothing else they have to say that needs to be heard.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The last time I checked; I can still pee while standing up ... Yup! It's for men!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I hear: "It's not a bike." I agree, as the route words from Latin and Greek mean two wheels . . . Its a trike. I also don't care what they think . . . I haven't worried about what rude strangers think for most of my life!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Oh well, that's his loss now isn't it? As Ron White put it, "You can't fix Stupid."

I think most everybody who owns or has ridden a Spyder will agree, it's NOT a Bike in any traditional sense... it's much MORE than a Bike, it's a Roadster!

And I like it!

- Michael

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    I've heard something simular said to me; only it was said as "...but it's not a bike". These types of comments are made by males with confidence issues and no amount of educating them will help them to uncloud their testosterone driven judgement. I just keep my distance from people like that because a comment like that proves to me that more than likely, there is nothing else they have to say that needs to be heard.
    Nope...and it's not an ATV, side-by-side, hotrod, airplane, snowmobile, Ferrari, or a bunch of other cool toys. Seems quite boring only to like one kind of fun. I am sad for those with such narrow minds.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You must...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was at Memorial Day Thunder Run. A guy walks up to me--you know the kind--he has tattoos on top of tattoos, and doesn't have chest hair--he has twigs! We'll he walks up to me and snarls,"That is not a motorcycle." I replied "I know. It has too many wheels." He snarles again, "That is not a trike." Pronouncing "trike" like it is an evil, smelly thing from the bottom of a cess pool. I reply "You are right! The wheels are in the wrong place." He demands to know, "WHAT is THAT thing?" I shrug my shoulders and say, "I don't know."

His "buddies" started laughing at him.

I just strolled away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Convertable?

I was told by several friends/co workers before I bought mine, "you might as well just buy a convertable there is no difference." Once I took my first test ride I realized how stupid these friends where to say something like that. Putting a sun roof in my truck is way more like a convertable than my Spyder! My Spyder is just plain fun to ride!

Spyder Garage

If by "real men" he means, people that need to prove their manhood by riding something the other sheep will approve of, then he is absolutely correct. I like the fact that it is different. If I wanted to be another member of the heard I would have bought what they bought.

One last comeback to use when confronted over the "extra" wheel: If having one less wheel makes you so much better than me, does that mean that you are not as manly as that guy riding the uni-cycle?

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Somebody said, they would be the one who has a two wheel for sale in a couple years with a few miles on it. I am more concerned about the idiot, who says I am a man and I need to ride a motorcycle, then crashes causing death or injury to others. Too scared to ride safely.
    The Dragon bites a lot of guys every year, that admit they are in over their head for speed, but try anyway. Tree of shame or worse.
    Oldmanzues

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Real men don't worry about being real, or being manly.
    ...and to start a list of what real men don't do, let me go first:
    1. Real men don't disrespect other people, for any reason.
    2. Real men don't hit women or children.
    3. Real men support their families.
    4. Real men don't drink too much, and don't use drugs.
    5. Real men don't lie.
    6. Real men earn their living.
    7. Real men don't fail to aid those in need, whether asked or not.
    8. Real men are not obese.
    9. Real men don't steal.
    10. Real men don't fail to compliment their spouses.
    11. Real men don't need approval of everyone.
    12. Real men don't need to join gangs to feel that they belong.
    13. Real men don't expect others to bail them out.
    14. Real men are not afraid to show love, compassion, or kindness.
    15. Real men Ryde Spyders, drive cars, and even walk.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool They breath an breed

You can give them the facts and be totally honest but they don't have a clue. Beside already having a closed mind set before the conversation he wasted your time. Your comeback was really cool though!

i would be willing to bet that he is or was a Harley owner and voted Dimocrat!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    You can give them the facts and be totally honest but they don't have a clue. Beside already having a closed mind set before the conversation he wasted your time. Your comeback was really cool though!

i would be willing to bet that he is or was a Harley owner and voted Dimocrat!
    i bet he doesn't vote, rarely bathes, and has trouble spelling his own name.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been there as most of us have. I've learned to ignore the comments.

Spyder Garage

Some people are ignorant by accident...

Some people are ignorant by choice...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try being under 40 and on an RT. I hear quite a few strange things. I just give them the "your stupid" look and they walk away feeling that way.

Spyder Garage

There comes a time in life when your spectacles get thicker than your testicles. Then it's time to add another wheel.

It was a tough transition for me, being somewhat macho but I am really glad I did. No regrets!

Spyder Garage

Sounds pretty insecure... and immature. And a boor.