Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there a 2014-15 Gas Cap Issue on some models?

I received the following that is supposed to be from Facebook. I don't know if it is a collection of thoughts, feedback, comments, or what. What I received was two pages long. I've shorted it to make it a quicker read, as I think you'll get the jest. Is there a gas cap issue and have any of you on the forum experienced such?

Rob

From Facebook posts ...............

• There have been some increasing reports lately regarding the BRP gas caps; some have been locking or breaking when trying to unscrew them.
    • I got the dreaded broken gas cap tonight on my 2014 RT-S.The gas cap just would spin in either direction freely. Thank god I was home to use my large channel locks to break/remove the gas cap.I had like no gas in the tank to ride to the dealers to remove the cap.I called my dealer and they said bring the broken cap in tomorrow and they have replacements in stock.Better to happen at home then on the road.I just hope the new gas cap is years of trouble free service
    • I guess this is common?
    • Suggest replacing with Stant gas cap, don't take a chance. Stant gas cap #10835 at Advance Auto Parts or #11835 at Pep boys. The Stant replacement has a better design that avoids the problem. As you unscrew the cap, the first quarter turn relieves any internal pressure or vacuum allowing the seal and cap to come off without difficulty.
    • Is all on 2014 and 2015 models!!!!!
    • I have not seen a person with a recalled cap complain of this (2010-2013 models).
    Last edited by robhowen; 06-28-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

There is a Service Bulletin out on 2014 RT gas caps.
    Replaced under warranty.

Had mine done 1 month ago.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I received the following that is supposed to be from Facebook. I don't know if it is a collection of thoughts, feedback, comments, or what. What I received was two pages long. I've shorted it to make it a quicker read, as I think you'll get the jest. Is there a gas cap issue and have any of you on the forum experienced such?

Rob

From Facebook posts ...............

• There have been some increasing reports lately regarding the BRP gas caps; some have been locking or breaking when trying to unscrew them.
    • I got the dreaded broken gas cap tonight on my 2014 RT-S.The gas cap just would spin in either direction freely. Thank god I was home to use my large channel locks to break/remove the gas cap.I had like no gas in the tank to ride to the dealers to remove the cap.I called my dealer and they said bring the broken cap in tomorrow and they have replacements in stock.Better to happen at home then on the road.I just hope the new gas cap is years of trouble free service
    • I guess this is common?
    • Suggest replacing with Stant gas cap, don't take a chance. Stant gas cap #10835 at Advance Auto Parts or #11835 at Pep boys. The Stant replacement has a better design that avoids the problem. As you unscrew the cap, the first quarter turn relieves any internal pressure or vacuum allowing the seal and cap to come off without difficulty.
    • Is all on 2014 and 2015 models!!!!!
    • I have not seen a person with a recalled cap complain of this (2010-2013 models).

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

my gas cap on my 2014 was difficult to take once... has not done it again... maybe I should consult my dealer before getting stranded ..

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When it goes bad you can not get it off w,ithout proper tools so hope u have enough gas to get to dealer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 and I'm going to purchase the Stant cap at Pepboys as I don't want to take the risk. A new cap is something like $7; not worth the risk of not being able to get my cap off and I suspect the 2015 factory cap is the same as the 2014 one (not a fact, a guess).

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    There is a Service Bulletin out on 2014 RT gas caps.
    Replaced under warranty.

AJ

Spyder Garage

I did't wait till I had trouble. A new stant is only nine bucks. Got one at advance auto last evening.

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know if the 2015 RT's are included?

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I had posted a few weeks ago a PN for Stant cap we have been using with no problems. The cap has a vacuum vent and a vacuum release as you loosen the cap. Stuck the oem cap in the frunk. Cap at Walmart was less than $10.

PK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default This happen on my sts

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I had posted a few weeks ago a PN for Stant cap we have been using with no problems. The cap has a vacuum vent and a vacuum release as you loosen the cap. Stuck the oem cap in the frunk. Cap at Walmart was less than $10.

PK
    Before my trip i filled up , when i got to my destination i wanted to fill up again and my gas cap kept turning . the cap was making a clicking sound but will not open . My tech blames this on the heat . I think he is correct . I left the bike cool down for bout 2 hours and checked again , the cap open with no issues . So now i just do not close the cap tight. I called my dealer and he said he heard of this happening to couple units . The heat expands the nozzle of the cap and then will not open . Cap is not quality. Getting a new one soon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PK
    Stant 10835?
    (AutoZone)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Stant 10835?
    (AutoZone)
    No sir, Stant 10819 from Walmart. I went with this cap for two reasons.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stant-1081...l-Cap/16783614

1) This cap has a vacuum vent. after seeing the other guys fuel cell collapse from a failed vent system, I wanted a cap that would be sealed with pressure and not leak fuel, while capable of allowing air in as a failsafe in case of an oem vent valve failure. The oem fuel cap has no venting at all. Basically a cork. Whether it is heat, positive or negative pressure sealing the cap I have no idea. If there is vacuum on the tank, or pressure on the tank, it could make removal more difficult.

2) The Stant cap has the ability to vent the tank to ambient pressure prior to loosening the fuel cap. The handle during removal, opens a valve that bleeds of pressure or vacuum. Basically the handle is rotated but the cap remains secure, when the handle is full open, the cap loosens.

PK

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting this. Is the cap a recall item that I can aquire for free, or should I just go out and purchase the one posted here?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No sir, Stant 10819 from Walmart.

PK
    Walmart; I quit shopping there
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Post #2

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Is the cap a recall item that I can aquire for free, or should I just go out and purchase the one posted here?

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Walmart; I quit shopping there
    Then buy one at the auto parts store or another place that may have it. Walmart is not my favorite either, but sometimes is an acceptable alternative.

PK

Spyder Garage

PK
    From Walmart; Same brand and part # ? I dont have an Advance or Pep Boys near me.

Anyone; I have the ST-Limited......I will assume at this point that all caps are the same ?.....will fit my Spyder.

Thanks !!!
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

On Amazon; Stant Gas Cap #10835 $6.05 Free shipping with $35 purchase. I will order one !

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8N3MI/...I2T5H8NFUKRGKT
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I purchased both the 10835 and the 10819 and the pre-vent feature of the 10819 is clearly there versus the 10835. Both seem to seal and fit perfectly. I'll keep the 10819 on the bike as the pre-vent feature seems like the right thing to me. I purchased the Stant 10819 from Amazon while I got the other one from Pepboys. Both are available on Amazon as well.

Thank you PK for your explanation.

Rob

No sir, Stant 10819 from Walmart. I went with this cap for two reasons.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stant-1081...l-Cap/16783614

1) This cap has a vacuum vent. after seeing the other guys fuel cell collapse from a failed vent system, I wanted a cap that would be sealed with pressure and not leak fuel, while capable of allowing air in as a failsafe in case of an oem vent valve failure. The oem fuel cap has no venting at all. Basically a cork. Whether it is heat, positive or negative pressure sealing the cap I have no idea. If there is vacuum on the tank, or pressure on the tank, it could make removal more difficult.

2) The Stant cap has the ability to vent the tank to ambient pressure prior to loosening the fuel cap. The handle during removal, opens a valve that bleeds of pressure or vacuum. Basically the handle is rotated but the cap remains secure, when the handle is full open, the cap loosens.

PK

Spyder Garage

I purchased both the 10835 and the 10819 and the pre-vent feature of the 10819 is clearly there versus the 10835. Both seem to seal and fit perfectly. I'll keep the 10819 on the bike as the pre-vent feature seems like the right thing to me. I purchased the Stant 10819 from Amazon while I got the other one from Pepboys. Both are available on Amazon as well.

Rob
    ​My dealer replaced my cap today under warranty. I'll be returning my Stant to Advance Auto Parts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good for you. I didn't want to wait as I didn't know how long it might take BRP to acknowledge the issue on 2015s and I didn't want to get caught with the inability to get the cap off.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    ​My dealer replaced my cap today under warranty. I'll be returning my Stant to Advance Auto Parts.

Spyder Garage

Rob
    So maybe I should go with the 10819.....

I did look at both on Amazon and they say basically the same specs...no mention of the venting feature of the 10819.....but if you say it is vented....you think that one is better ? Thanks !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The short answer is "I think so". But, I'm not an expert. They look slightly different and the lock/unlock works slightly different. You feel the release in the first 1/4 turn as you take it off. I don't feel it so much on the other one. Like I said, I left the 10819 one on the bike. Knowing what I know now, I would have just purchased the 10819.

Good luck in your decision making.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    So maybe I should go with the 10819.....

I did look at both on Amazon and they say basically the same specs...no mention of the venting feature of the 10819.....but if you say it is vented....you think that one is better ? Thanks !

Spyder Garage

The short answer is "I think so". But, I'm not an expert. They look slightly different and the lock/unlock works slightly different. You feel the release in the first 1/4 turn as you take it off. I don't feel it so much on the other one. Like I said, I left the 10819 one on the bike. Knowing what I know now, I would have just purchased the 10819.

Good luck in your decision making.

Rob
    Thanks...I will order that one !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Rob
    Your welcome.

As far as whether people run the oem cap or the 10819 or even the warranty cap does not bother me. We are going to continue with the vented 10819 Stant cap, if for no other reason than the failsafe of a second vent system.

I do keep the oem non warranty replacement cap in the frunk in case it is ever needed.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default Service Bulletin out on 2014 RT gas caps??

[QUOTE=PaladinLV;998260]There is a Service Bulletin out on 2014 RT gas caps.
    Replaced under warranty.

Does anyone know whether BRP have released a reference number for this Service Bulletin as I'm trying to ascertain if it has reached Australian dealers yet?

Thanks,
    Gerard