Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

also, unless you plan on having them painted, check out http://wrapmyspyder.com/vinyl-category/f3-wheel-kits/ for an interesting wat to black out the rims.

Spyder Garage

llyrad, how hard was it to do the Plasti-Dip? Did you remove panels or just tape them off?

Spyder Garage

Default Remove Panels

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmChris View Post
    llyrad, how hard was it to do the Plasti-Dip? Did you remove panels or just tape them off?
    For the side panel portion (covering where the accessory headlights) I removed the full side panels and than you remove 2 screws and the grey pieces slide out. 4-5 coats of plasti dip- 30min drying time per layer. Let dry for a day (just to be sure and to let it cure) and put back together. Taking the side panels apart and using Plasti-dip are incredibly easy (and I am not that 'mechanically inclined).

As for the front grill "S" accent. Remove the 4 black screws from the front grill(outside accessible), to remove the whole grill, then there are 10 screws to remove from the removed grill and you have your accent piece, very very easy to do.

A couple little tips with Plasti-dip, you don't want to touch the pieces at all once you start spraying so I recommend using a stand like the one I made and make sure when you have 360' access to it (I had the stand on a table sitting in middle of garage), so you move around the object rather than moving the object itself. Doing it this way requires no taping at all. Just have the parts resting on the wood and your good to go.

If you need any more specifics shoot me a PM and I will help you out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 12 V USB Question

Quote Originally Posted by llyrad View Post
    Almost forgot added the BRP 12v USB kit. I assumed this kit would have all the wiring required to make it plug and play which is why I paid the crazy amount they asked for it, but there is no wiring at all and still had to make a trip to Home Depot for the connectors. My advice to all those that are going to do this project, save the money and buy the plug adaptors from ebay or amazon for less than 10 bucks. The toughest part is finding the cable under the left service panel, it is covered in black tape and zip tied to a larger black cable.

OK....I just bought a USB Plug and fuse wire from Amazon as I need to connect my GPS. This seems like the perfect spot to install it. I did see the wire inside and now have a silly question. What did you use to make the hole in the cover? I don't want to damage it using the wrong tool/drill bit. Crazy, I know....BTW, the ryde looks awesome!

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default No trick to this one.

Nothing fancy for this install (12v plug). Just grabbed a wood bit for the drill that was about the same size as the plug and spun out a hole for it. Although I did have to slowly enlarge it so plug would fit in nice and tight, as there is a rubber washer on it that allows it to be waterproof.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Thanks. I figured out I'd start with a standard bit then use a round file to get to the right fit. Thanks again!

Nothing fancy for this install (12v plug). Just grabbed a wood bit for the drill that was about the same size as the plug and spun out a hole for it. Although I did have to slowly enlarge it so plug would fit in nice and tight, as there is a rubber washer on it that allows it to be waterproof.

Spyder Garage

Default Minor Additions

Instead of using the Brp foglights I just went led lighting at the A frames.

Still haven't gotten around to upgrading the spring to the one BAM used as I am not sure what exactly needs to be done to it (not mechanically handy) but will ask those questions on my trip to Spyderfest 16!

Even with all the lighting I still hit a Coyote at highway speeds this fall in the evening at Highway speeds. Surprisingly little damage to the F3 other than body panels and the front rads considering that Coyote exploded (have pics but very graphic).

The 2015 Trip from Edmonton to New Orleans went very well (over 11000km) other than the extreme heat and the 2 chunks of gravel that put wholes in my drive belt.

When the weather warms I'll be plasti-dipping the wheels black as I will need to save some money for all my purchases at Spyderfest (first timer, and so far the only Canadian going)

Spyder Garage

Loving this! Very very nice!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Default Minor Upgrade

Still snow on the ground here in Northern Alberta, but we had a couple of nice days so I took the F3 into get the recall done for the shock support plate. And I figured while I'm here I upgraded the rear shock to the one designed for 2 up ($210 bucks = to about $170 of your US bucks ) much thicker spring and more coils, noticed a huge difference right away, it sits about the same height but is stiffer on the bumps and keeps it from bottoming out, and got the belt replaced. Now to find the time between snowfalls to get a 1000km on the bike (so it can be adjusted) before I leave for Spyderfest!

Spyder Garage

Default Blacked out Wheels

I had a little time this weekend due to new snowfall, so I Plasti-Dip(ped) the wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyderfeast

Enjoy the the trip wished I could join you but haven't got my rss out of storage yet

Still snow on the ground here in Northern Alberta, but we had a couple of nice days so I took the F3 into get the recall done for the shock support plate. And I figured while I'm here I upgraded the rear shock to the one designed for 2 up ($210 bucks = to about $170 of your US bucks ) much thicker spring and more coils, noticed a huge difference right away, it sits about the same height but is stiffer on the bumps and keeps it from bottoming out, and got the belt replaced. Now to find the time between snowfalls to get a 1000km on the bike (so it can be adjusted) before I leave for Spyderfest!

Spyder Garage

Default Happy

Now that the rims are cured, I think they turned out great. Just a few more 'grey' items to get blacked out and then see what comes up at Spyderfest

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Recommended Brand of Plasti Dip?

For the side panel portion (covering where the accessory headlights) I removed the full side panels and than you remove 2 screws and the grey pieces slide out. 4-5 coats of plasti dip- 30min drying time per layer. Let dry for a day (just to be sure and to let it cure) and put back together. Taking the side panels apart and using Plasti-dip are incredibly easy (and I am not that 'mechanically inclined).

As for the front grill "S" accent. Remove the 4 black screws from the front grill(outside accessible), to remove the whole grill, then there are 10 screws to remove from the removed grill and you have your accent piece, very very easy to do.

A couple little tips with Plasti-dip, you don't want to touch the pieces at all once you start spraying so I recommend using a stand like the one I made and make sure when you have 360' access to it (I had the stand on a table sitting in middle of garage), so you move around the object rather than moving the object itself. Doing it this way requires no taping at all. Just have the parts resting on the wood and your good to go.

If you need any more specifics shoot me a PM and I will help you out.
    Your plasti-dip work looks awesome!! I have the exact same colored F3, and hope to do the same black outs you did on the wheels, can am panels and front fender that is grey also. What brand of Plasti- dip did you use, and where did you get it from? I am looking forward to giving that project a try

Spyder Garage

Default Any Gloss with your plasti dip work

Sir, did you use any gloss with your plasti-dip work?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jstarmark View Post
    Sir, did you use any gloss with your plasti-dip work?
    No gloss used, just the flat black.

Spyder Garage

Been awhile since I posted, but a few things have been changed. Did not like the mesh material saddlebags as I do a lot of touring and them not being waterproof was an issue, plus taking them off took too long so I switched over to the SHAD saddlebags which are amazing (pricey) but being a hard case and fast disconnect (that can be locked) was too good to pass up. A lot more LED lighting has been added and I will be completely removing the Licence plate arm and putting a relocation bracket in under the tail lights. Ordered a Cat delete and hope to have that in a week or 2. Will post pictures of that install shortly.

66134563_10157558319488420_2442036160176848896_o.jpg