Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Heat Recall WB 2013-10

Here is a link to the Warranty Bulletin 2013-10 (Campaign # 2013-017) That covers the Heat Recall for the 2013 RT. It is 30 pages long, including the cover letter. Sorry the pictures are not sharper. I didn't have a digital copy, so I had to make a .pdf file from a printed copy.
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-26-2015 at 03:07 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I can't get the link to work.

Bill C.

Spyder Garage

Definitely looks like a lot of work went into this fix. I hope it works for all you 2013 RTers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i just said that on the other tread, steve said it would take about 4 hrs. to me it looks like a lot more work than that

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Definitely looks like a lot of work went into this fix. I hope it works for all you 2013 RTers.
    wyliec, did you get the file to open? It's a dropbox link.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Interesting.....

Acoustic panels are being removed and tossed. I am sure this is to let the scoops get more air into the back of the engine compartment!
    People that added the Vertix scoops saw no benefit probably because those acoustic panels are blocking any air from them going inside.

Total redo of the Evap system!

Some of this could easily apply to other model years!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks pretty extensive. Hope this does it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I hope this fixes everything. I will be glad when its done

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hope this works to reduce heat

Wow there is allot of work in this recall fix; hope they good mechanics at my dealership. Enlarging holes in panels and new evap canister and hose re-routing. I hope the remapping does not impact the cat bypass removal. My dealer said they order parts for mine today. I hope I am not the Guinie pig for this at my dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Thanks!

Interesting.....

Acoustic panels are being removed and tossed. I am sure this is to let the scoops get more air into the back of the engine compartment!
    People that added the Vertix scoops saw no benefit probably because those acoustic panels are blocking any air from them going inside.

Total redo of the Evap system!

Some of this could easily apply to other model years!

Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    wyliec, did you get the file to open? It's a dropbox link.
    Yes. I have drop-box, and when I clicked the link, drop box was activated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rob,
    Thanks for posting that link in here!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting the link. Learned alot.

Somewhat disappointed that the fan reversal did not make the repair list.

New air scoops
    replace evap system with new canister and after filter
    convert fuel supply system to pcm controlled fuel pressure (returnless, IE eliminate the regulator).

These all seem like positive steps and should actually add to what many of us have already done so no real down side. I will leave results to later when folks ride repaired bikes this summer. But I am VERY skeptical this will do much for driver heat discomfort. It may help with the fumes which are my only real complaint left.

Louise bike is scheduled for the work next week. Will be interesting to see how they handle a bike that already has a good bit of heat reduction work done.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

with all of your points. Especially the lack of fan reversal. I'm going to wait a month or two to allow my dealer to complete a few of these before mine.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

that's a wise choice.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks..!!

For the link. Now to wait for the first ones to road test this. I think they got it...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

So for us that have the cat modification wont really know for sure so put cat back on or leave it off?

Spyder Garage

Thanks robmorg for the obvious effort you've gone to in disseminating this info owners of 2013 RT's have been eagerly awaiting.
    Unfortunately the link you have posted (for some unknown reason to me) isn't working.
    Could you or anyone else that has access to this information pleased repost or offer another method to obtain BRP response "PLEASE" ?? In anticipation of a positive response, many thanks, Kenn for "Down Under"

Spyder Garage

At least they did not use any of the methods that they installed on my bike when I agreed to be a test donkey. Non of them worked including reversing the fan below 6 MPH.

In my opinion fans should be added under added scoops for city driving, slow driving, and being stopped at traffic lights etc. Also exhaust should have been routed away from the bottom of the gas tank. It is now only a couple of inches under the gas tank and will continue to heat the fuel to boiling in the hotter temps within 20-30 minutes as usual.

I really do not think this will do it unless you never get under 45 MPH.
    For those in the Northern climes it should be a slight improvement but in S. CA, AZ, NM, and W. TX I am pretty sure this is going to be another futile "band aid" fix. Non of the four fixes they tried on mine ever made a difference. Short of matching the proper engine with the designed new frame in 2013, I cannot see the major improvement that the 2013 owners are entitled to.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Thanks for posting the link. Learned alot.

Somewhat disappointed that the fan reversal did not make the repair list.

New air scoops
    replace evap system with new canister and after filter
    convert fuel supply system to pcm controlled fuel pressure (returnless, IE eliminate the regulator).

These all seem like positive steps and should actually add to what many of us have already done so no real down side. I will leave results to later when folks ride repaired bikes this summer. But I am VERY skeptical this will do much for driver heat discomfort. It may help with the fumes which are my only real complaint left.

Louise bike is scheduled for the work next week. Will be interesting to see how they handle a bike that already has a good bit of heat reduction work done.
    They are converting it to dead head fuel delivery? Really? I guess that's an easy way to increase fuel pressure at idle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcoulter19 View Post
    I can't get the link to work.

Bill C.
    Bill & Kenn,

The link is to an Acrobat PDF file. So in order to open it in a browser, the browser needs the Adobe Acrobat extension. Easiest way to get that is to install (or reinstall) the free Adobe PDF Reader program. It can be downloaded here.

If you are using a mobile device, your mobile browser will likely ask if you want to download the file. Then you will need the Android or Apple Adobe Acrobat app to open it.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Thanks!

Interesting.....

Bob
    Bob,

I take it that these "Acustic Panels" to be trashed (page 5 of the Warranty Bulletin) are NOT external panels, right? (See picture below from shop manual.) They must be behind the top side panels, right?

Also note that the air deflectors are also trashed - obviously to make room for the air scoops. I've gotten to like my BRP 3-way adjustable air deflectors.

Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob,

I take it that these "Acustic Panels" to be trashed (page 5 of the Warranty Bulletin) are NOT external panels, right? (See picture below from shop manual.) They must be behind the top side panels, right
    Correct. It'll be interesting, or not, to hear how much more noise comes out from under the tupperware with those panels gone. They have a layer of insulation on them about 1/2" thick.

When the BRP rep showed me the photos of the fix at Spyderfest he said the air deflectors would have to be removed, but I was left with the impression there maybe was a new replacement air deflector to be installed. Obviously that is not the case.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    So for us that have the cat modification wont really know for sure so put cat back on or leave it off?
    I certainly do NOT intend to put mine back on. Looking at the details of the recall bulletin, there should be no reason to do that.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Correct. It'll be interesting, or not, to hear how much more noise comes out from under the tupperware with those panels gone. They have a layer of insulation on them about 1/2" thick.

When the BRP rep showed me the photos of the fix at Spyderfest he said the air deflectors would have to be removed, but I was left with the impression there maybe was a new replacement air deflector to be installed. Obviously that is not the case.
    Thanks, Mac.

The hole that is cut in the side panel looks more than twice as large as the vent that is there now. Those new scoops are going to be big. Looks to me like the intake (and trim piece) for the scoop will cover where the original air deflectors used to attach. I wonder what color those scoops will be. I doubt that BRP is going to send them painted to match the panels.
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-27-2015 at 12:09 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Mac.

The hole that is cut in the side panel looks more than twice as large as the vent that is there now. Those new scoops are going to be big. Looks to me like the intake (and trim piece) for the scoop will cover where the original air deflectors used to attach. I wonder what color those scoops will be. I doubt that BRP is going to send them painted to match the panels.
    The pics in post 12 from BRPCares http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...afety-Campaign, show them to be textured black with chrome trim.

Not only are the OEM deflectors going to be gone, but so will the upper inner wing of the Baker Air Wings.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)