Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Madstad Brackets & Shield on a F3

To start please keep this in mind; I am 5'7", wear glasses, don't like to ride with a helmet, I had a Madstad setup on my 2008 GS, and I always wear in-ear headphones ( the type that seal your ears ). My F3 had a Blue Ridge shield before I replaced it with a Madstad 20".

Here is what is most important to me in a windshield:
    1: Protection from road debris, blown sand, bugs.
    2: Silencing the wind noise.
    3: Stable glasses, no blowing in the eyes.
    4: All the typical stuff - clarity, lack of distortion, stability, durability.

On the Madstad site, http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.13866/.f , they say that their shield makes a "dramatic" improvement over the Blue Ridge. I rate that as True.
    The bottom-line is that it does an excellent job, it works.

I don't have to wear goggles at expressway speeds, in 3 days of testing ( at 85 mph plus ) I never got wind in my eyes or shaky specs. Wind noise ( which is highly accentuated by in-ear headphones, see this for details http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...695#post968695 ) was fine - under 45 mph, none really . . . . 55 to top expressway speeds, very good, not a bother at all. Wind noise (reduction) was way better than on my GS and much better than the stock shield on my ST-S. As I said above, wind noise ( reduction ) is one of my biggies - - - I am really smiling over how good the Madstad is at this. As far as debris, I didn't hit anything really big, but today with lots of blowing sand, only a few grains hit my face and in the conditions where that happened, I was impressed. It works.

Assembly
    Well, I thought it was easy - I did it, and while I am mechanically competent, I am also very klutzy. From memory, it was easier than the on I put on my GS. Madstad has posted the assembly instructions - which has great pictures of all the parts - and you can view it here: https://system.netsuite.com/core/med...addrcountry=US

The instructions were clear and I though were very well done. The only thing that would have made the assembly go faster would have been if the individual packets of screws and washers were labeled, there are several and I was always wondering "Is this the one?" I would also recommend that you cover the F3's vents/grills that are in front of the instrument cluster. I am always dropping washers, screws, screwdriver tips into any available slot - so I did - and it saved me from having to take the bike apart to retrieve them. 3 times.

All the components were there and very good quality.

Measurements
    On the 20" shield:
    At full-down, the shield top edge is 15" up from the bottom of the BRP logo on the instrument cluster. There is an angle - the edge is about half way between the cluster and the top bolts that hold the handle bars.

At full-up, the shield top edge is almost directly above the two top handlebar bolts and measures 18".

At full-up and full forward, the shield top edge is just under 20" to the bottom of the BRP logo on the instrument cluster.

With a tape measure, the curved widest part of the shield is just under 21", across the back, in a straight line, it is 19". A straight line across the top is 14".

Really, there is only one flat surface on the F3 ( outside of the bottom of the trunk/glove compartment ) and that is the gas cap, which the shield does not really get close to. Combine that with the angle of the shield and its adjustability, angles and curves - it can be hard to imagine until you see it. I can say this, while the top of the Blue Ridge was under my chin, the top of the Madstad 20" ( at full DOWN ) is right at my eye level. As they
    recommended on their site, I [probably] should have gotten the 18" shield. As it is, I can hardly think of why I would want to raise it any higher, but lower would be nice.

Operation:
    In the older model I had on my GS, you needed an Allan Wrench to adjust the shield, this version you just loosen two knobs and position the shield up/down/in/out with your hands. Then tighten the knobs and you are good to go. Fast, simple, really easy.

The brackets move about 3.5" up and 1.5" out. At the full up and out setting, the shield is nearly perpendicular ( for those of us who want to look like a motorcycle cop from the 50's )

In person, the shield looks like it is floating in front of the rider - that looks real different from the BR - I think of it as the "Susan Storm" effect ( for those into comic books ).

Performance
    As I said, it works. The experiences below vary somewhat, depending on speed.

The air envelope does not feel quite as "firm" as on the BR, and since the shield is smaller, it is closer on the sides, but in all my tests, there was no buffeting or wind-rip. I think Rondo mentioned that "you get wind" on your body, I did too, but it felt more like circulation, not wind blasting.

At the full down and back position, the shield top at eye level, the little hair ( short ) that I have left was getting 'air', but less than a hairdryer ( if I can remember what that was like so many years ago ). I could just start to feel the air envelope about 9" above the top of my head ( above 55 mph ).

I have no clue as to what a passenger would experience.

I 'think' your hands are more exposed than with the BR, but probably 50% less exposed than a shield-less F3. I did feel sand hit them today and yesterday riding to the top of the Sandia Mountain ( still snow up there ) my hands got cold - that surprised me.

The shield does have a strong air-flow up the inside surface, but I don't think it hits the rider. I am not sure how that will work in the rain, but I don't think it will ever fog up.

Yesterday on a 3 lane expressway down a steep canyon, 75+mph going in and out of lanes passing semis going 70 at least, there was no noticeable wake blasts. I was very surprised. Today, in high winds, two lane road across a mesa, 65+ mph, meeting semis going a similar speed - no real wake blasts when we passed each other - I was like "Wow!". Due to some cross winds ( 40-50 mph ) when one semi passed - it kicked up some sand and that was the only time some sand hit me in the face - just a few grains. It was really windy here today - I paced tumbleweeds at 45 mph and sheets of blowing sand at 40 mph. In similar conditions, the Madstad so outperformed the BR and the shield on my ST-S, with the Madstad, it was like being in a convertible with the top down. When the road turned across the wind, yup, you got hit with crosswind, but it didn't feel like getting slammed in similar conditions.

So, going 85 mph into 45+mph winds, my glasses didn't bounce or move. Perfect!
    Given the high speeds and wind, the shield did jiggle a little, but I didn't notice any at normal expressway conditions.

I rode for about 20 minutes with a 3/4 helmet, it was quieter, not as fun. No bobble-head, but I don't get that with the BR either. All other riding experiences were without a helmet.

Riding at 45mph in normal conditions, for those inclined, you can smoke a cigarette without burning your face with hot ashes.

The End
    Hey, I really like the Blue Ridge - not at first, but I really like it now. But for all the things that count for me, the Madstad system works. For me, it is a keeper.

Tom

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Excellent Report

Thanks - this gives me hope that I bought the correct windshield. There were no other options out there (available), but Madstad seemed like the first good good one.

I hope to get mine in a few days. Hope it is as good as you describe.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am going to be in FL next week. Might try and go by there if they will let me.

Spyder Garage

Default Picked up my Madstad windscreen today.

Quote Originally Posted by godfatheroftek View Post
    I am going to be in FL next week. Might try and go by there if they will let me.
    I had Called Madstad 2 days ago and today they had mine ready. There are about 35 miles from my house. Great, friendly bunch of guys. If your lucky ask them to show u their laser cutter they use for cutting all their brackets. It is awesome. I installed a Blueridge Monday and did a 50 mile test. Very painfull on my ears at 73 and no fun at other speeds. I took it off the next day and ordered the 22 Madstad the next day. I only have 35 miles on it but so much better than the Blueridge. I'm 6' and when they installed it it came up to high so they took it off and chopped off 2 inches and then I took a couple mile ride and said it would be fine. I maybe could have gone with the 18. I stopped a couple times and adjusted it but don't have enough miles for a really good test but so far, don't need ear plugs, no wind blast into my eyes from a leaky full face helmet. The side skirts give cooling air to body but not pressure 91 degrees out today and I could leave the chin and face shield fully open till 55 before I felt I should lower it as it sticks up above my helmet. I'm really pleased with the switch. I talked to the owner today about a mount for GPS on center bar of windscreen bracket. He came up with a spacer he will make and drill and tap between the bracket and the gauge housing which will be more stable with the weight of the gps and cut down on any road and windscreen vibration. All said I'm very happy as I just could not use the blue Ridge. Madstad has sent a windscreen to BRP for them to test and if they like them they will carry them for their dealers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default It sounds nice being that close to the factory

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymac View Post
    The side skirts give cooling air to body but not pressure 91 degrees out today and I could leave the chin and face shield fully open till 55 before I felt I should lower it as it sticks up above my helmet. I'm really pleased with the switch. I talked to the owner today about a mount for GPS on center bar of windscreen bracket. He came up with a spacer he will make and drill and tap between the bracket and the gauge housing which will be more stable with the weight of the gps and cut down on any road and windscreen vibration.
    I didn't think I would care for the side-skirts, but it is like they are invisible. I was going to test the shield without them, but probably will never get around to it - seems kinda pointless to mess with it.

Yes, I thought the crossbar would be perfect for a GPS/iPhone mount too.

And yes, it is a completely different ride with the Madstad shield, the F3 just seems to cut through the wind. I didn't notice any changes in the bike's handling. Just a more comfortable ride.

Tom

Spyder Garage

A common complaint about the Madstad is that it looks bad and that the brackets interfere with your line-of-sight. Please comment on these.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Default sight and ugly bracket

Quote Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
    A common complaint about the Madstad is that it looks bad and that the brackets interfere with your line-of-sight. Please comment on these.

I'm going for a ride later today to test the adjustment of shield. I will take a pic while I'm sitting on the bike and will post it. I have to look down to bring the bracket into view. A small item 2 feet in front of the F-3s u might have to look thru the bracket but I will be putting a gps or phone on mine and that will be what you see as it will cover the bracket. The Blue ridge is a little better looking, sleeker design but as to function for me I could not use it. I won't be switching back.

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad brackets

The brackets are prominent, but the quality and finish are so striking that it almost comes off as part of the bike. I did not notice any interference with vision. The Madstad makes such a difference in the quality and COMFORT of the ride that I am happy with the appearance. The shield itself is so clear and optically perfect, that it appears to float in the air in front of you.

Ron

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Ron. That's what I wanted to hear.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default First off . . . . . . . .

. . . . . No, ( I don't think ) that the brackets interfere with the rider's line-of-sight. When you look at them, you see them. When riding, they are effortlessly "overlooked". Actually, space/area wise, I think the Blue Ridge hardware takes up more square inch area. But, no, the Madstad brackets don't get in the way of seeing anything in front of you.

As for the "common complaint" that they look bad or "ugly", that gets into opinions and people's tastes. That discussion usually ends with; "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." and "To each his own.". Of course that discussion starts with, "No, it needs more skulls." - "No, fewer flames." - "A Hello Kitty sticker would really make that look nice." - "Blue LEDs can make anything look good.". In these discussions, I always feel free to raise my eyebrows and walk silently away.

Vondalyn summed it up really well for me in her post about the accessories on her F3. When she was talking about her shields, she said:

1. Gauge spoiler -- I like it, but have to (hate to!) admit that I like the windshield better, so this is hanging on a hook in the garage above my tool chest for now until I get a wild hair this summer and swap them again.
    2. Blue Ridge Windshield -- this is the perfect windshield for most of my riding, and I actually think the sypder looks right with it on, it was odd to see the gauge spoiler on it when I swapped back and forth for awhile. My first impression when I saw it was that the gauge spoiler looked wrong. Funny how quickly I adapted to the windshield.

I underlined what I think the key point is, when you see something different, it can look "wrong" - especially if you keep on noticing it. After I installed the Madstad shield and stood back and looked at it, I was struck by how different it looked from the naked F3 and from the F3 with the Blue Ridge shield on it. After 3 months of the Blue Ridge on my F3, it should look different. Like Vondalyn, I quickly adapted and by the next afternoon F3 looked "natural" again.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Default Pics of the Madstad

For all those wanting pictures of the Madstad on an F-3S here u go. Went for a 170 mile ride today and for me the Madstad has it all over the BlueRidge. This Madstad is the 20 inch model and pics looking forward with me sitting on the seat I'm 6' even.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Is it just me? Kidding of course!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default wondering . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymac View Post
    For all those wanting pictures of the Madstad on an F-3S here u go. Went for a 170 mile ride today and for me the Madstad has it all over the BlueRidge. This Madstad is the 20 inch model and pics looking forward with me
    sitting on the seat I'm 6' even.
    . . . . . . did you get a tinted model?

Tom

Spyder Garage

Default Tint

Yes I got the first shade of light grey.

Spyder Garage

Default Tuesday

I went with the dark grey tint (only dark black tint is darker), should have by tuesday, will post a pic of the tint. Which tint do you have on that pic?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by llyrad View Post
    I went with the dark grey tint (only dark black tint is darker), should have by tuesday, will post a pic of the tint. Which tint do you have on that pic?
    This is the light grey The lightest tint they have.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default If you are asking me . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by llyrad View Post
    . . . . I got the clear, no tint. I am curious to see what the darker tent look like on the F3 - I am expecting it to be nice.

Tom

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FORM VS. FUNCTION

What's the point if something is Beautiful, ( ie OEM windshield ) but you don't ride it much because it's uncomfortable..........To me this is a NO - BRAINER get a Madstadt and have some FUN ....................JMHO, Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Madsdat

I ordered a medium gray in color windshield and should be delivered late this coming week.
    True-Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad

Madstad 20" tinted, "Dark Grey". I'm 6'1" and my eye line is a few inches above top of rim at the lowest setting, so their sizing chart is bang on. Couldn't be happier with the change in air flows! Went from Full Face helmet being pulled up and back to wearing my 3/4 with my visor up completely and using just the built in sunshades in my Bell helmet.

Spyder Garage

Should I assume that my 5'0" wife needs the 18" model?? (yes, I'm ready for the jokes......)
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Should I assume that my 5'0" wife needs the 18" model?? (yes, I'm ready for the jokes......)
    At 5ft yes, you might be able to use the ones from BRP (Blue Ridge), but if you were to order the Madstad the 18" for sure. I just had my wife on mine to try to answer your question. She is 5'2" and with the 20" screen her eye line is about 3" below the top of the rim. So 18" would be perfect for her.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My advice is . . . .

. . . . Go with the 18".

I am 5'7" and I am looking right at the top of the 20" shield - it is right at eye level. And it is at the lowest setting.

With the 18", I would guess she would almost always ride a with the shield at it's lowest setting too.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad

Stuff that works is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
    these work on my Roadrod. I want them to make one for my next bike, too!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Been calling for three days now trying to order one. Hopefully they call me.