Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally... My New Russell Day Long Seat

I just received and installed my Russell Day Long seat! It's been a long wait, but it's finally here!!

I placed my order in December, shipped my seat off in early February and just now got it back! But it looks and feels awesome!!

I've only put about 30 miles on it so far, but it's soooo nice! It's like a perfectly molded butt cradle... and it's only suppose to get better with a 500 mile break-in period!

I can't say enough about the quality and expert craftsmanship... I've got an adjustable SmoothSpyder backrest and they took special care to ensure my wife's seat adjustments wouldn't interfere with its ability to rotate forward or back! And then the stitching and finish-out! I spoke with Kim at RDL several times and she was such an incredible help! I ultimately decided to go with vinyl sides (standard) and the Sunbrella fabric covering for the seating area. Didn't do leather because in Texas it's just too hot and I'm about functionality vs perception.

And too make my anticipation that much harder... after I installed the seat... dead battery! So after a few hours of tracking down a new battery and installing it... it was an awesome ending to the day!

I highly recommend Russell Day Long so far... I admit, they are not cheap, but they are perfectly made to you and since I ride my Spyder as my daily commuter, it's worth the investment!! And with their comfort guarantee it's hard to beat!

See you on the road! And I'm definitely looking forward to the road trips to SpyderFest and SpyderQuest this year!!

PS - they definitely pack it in nice and safe on the shipping back!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Very nice! Those that have gone with the brand always say good things.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It even LOOKS comfortable! ...as well as being nice to look at.

I'm curious about that backrest though. Since it is so far forward, I assume it is a driver backrest and not a passenger one, right? Does it snap off easily when you want to ride 2-up?
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post

I'm curious about that backrest though. Since it is so far forward, I assume it is a driver backrest and not a passenger one, right? Does it snap off easily when you want to ride 2-up?
    When you ride 2-up the backrest flips to the back and becomes the passenger's backrest

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post

Yeah, the support arms you see rotate backwards and the backrest angles a bit differently and becomes the backrest for the passenger. You can even move the backrest pad up for more upper back support. At that point the driver has no backrest, except the chest of your passenger (preferably female... and always my wife!!!). There's no removing or disconnecting, just slight loosening and tightening with built-in ratchet bolts.

It's made by SmoothSpyder - http://www.smoothspyder.com/backrest/

Spyder Garage

Default Worth a 1000 words.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then you saved a lot of typing. The word "beautiful" doesn't do that seat justice. Thank you for sharing with us.

Spyder Garage

Hey Jon,

Looks really nice and must be comfortable.
    im thinking about getting a new seat, but the Russell is out since riding season is just around the corner here.
    We can legally ride our bike here in 3 days since we wont require winter tires.
    Snow melting fast here.

Talk to you later,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm a firm believer in the Russell seats. I had one on my 08 GS and it was my first mod on my 2012 RT. They are truly day long seats. Plus you can get up in the morning and do it again. I've not had a sore butt using my RDL seat.
    I Have their backrest as well. It just slides out to remove. Takes about 3 seconds. Plus it folds forward to allow easier access and egress for the passenger.

Spyder Garage

We have had our RDL now since Nov, 2011 with about 40,000 riding miles on it. Best seat I have ever had. It only gets better.
    In case you are wondering what it looks like on an RT, go the their site and look at the picture galleries. The silver RT is ours with the RDL installed..
    Last edited by Dudley; 03-12-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    Yeah, the support arms you see rotate backwards and the backrest angles a bit differently and becomes the backrest for the passenger. You can even move the backrest pad up for more upper back support. At that point the driver has no backrest, except the chest of your passenger (preferably female... and always my wife!!!). There's no removing or disconnecting, just slight loosening and tightening with built-in ratchet bolts.

It's made by SmoothSpyder - http://www.smoothspyder.com/backrest/
    What a great idea! Thanks for the explanation and the link. Sounds like you enjoy the backrest in EITHER position.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat