Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Hesitation on start?

I have around 10 years experience riding standard motorcycles, and 10 years before that racing three and four-wheelers, so adjusting to the Spyder hasn't been too difficult. I'm thinking about buying either an RT or an ST. My passengers would of course prefer I get the RT. I'd have no problem with that, except both 2013 RTs I tested have an issue that bugs me.

I'm not much of a mechanic, so I'll explain it as best I can! When I go from a complete stop and give the RTs too much throttle, it hesitates for a second or two before it 'catches' and speeds ahead. The workaround is more gradual throttle, which I'm sure I could adjust to. My fear, though, is being in a situation where I need to gun it and it not responding. The ST's I test rode did not have that issue and were very responsive! Both RTs I rode had been sitting out in the cold and the STs were inside, if that makes any difference, I know my bike doesn't like the cold too much.

So my question to everyone, is this a common issue? Something I should be overly concerned about?

Thanks,
    Clint

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try grabbing the ":loud grip" after the bikes are fully warmed-up; there'll be no hesitation.
    And...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would say it is not normal. You did not say if they were SE (Semi Auto) or SM (Manual) shift. The SE will take a little build of RPMs before the clutch fully engages. You may want to try a 2014 RT it has an improved drive train.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

They were the SE models. I'll give the 2014 a go, thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

the pre 14's have a centrifical clutch system requiring 3,500 rpm's to fully engage. When at operating temp they are very responsive but you do have to keep them up over 4,000 rpms. The new 1330 triple with the 6 speed tranny has a hydraulic clutch which is much more responsive...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The nanny also does not allow 'jack rabbit' starts. The throttle is throttle by wire. The grip controls a signal to the computer and the computer tells the engine how much air & fuel to inject and monitors engine rpm. Engine acceleration is therefore restricted. Here's a quote from the 2013 Owners Manual

NOTE: This vehicle is equipped with
    an ETC (Electronic Throttle Control).
    The throttle plates in the throttle body
    are controlled electronically and can be
    opened or closed irrespective of the
    throttle twist grip position when necessary.
    It may happen that when you
    accelerate, the VSS (Vehicle Stability
    System) prevents engine acceleration
    in order to maintain vehicle stability.
    Then, when the vehicle is stabilized,
    the engine RPM would increase as requested
    if the throttle was maintained.
    This would be felt as a "delayed" acceleration

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Interesting. At least I wasn't imagining it! Thanks for the explanations, that helps. Now I just need to find a decently priced 2014 RT. It was a lot easier finding the 2013s, now I know why!

Let's see, every vehicle I've owned in the last 22 years added together equals around 10k...and this is looking to be 20K+. And yet I'm still intending on getting one!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonReborn View Post
    Interesting. At least I wasn't imagining it! Thanks for the explanations, that helps.
    One place where you can really feel the hesitation is to be stopped at a traffic light, light changes, you gun it hard doing a hard left turn. If the turn is sharp enough you'll feel nanny hold back and then you'll feel the release after you get straightened out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, that sounds about right. Where I felt it most was turning out from the dealership. It wasn't the friendliest of intersections, so having it hesitate with cars coming panicked me a little!