Thread: Corbin Backrest

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Corbin Backrest

Does anyone happen to know what size bolt the corbin backrest uses? When i got home from my ride Saturday i noticed the drivers backrest was a bit loose so I went to tighten it and the bolt was missing

Spyder Garage

Same thing on mine. Sorry do not know the size but got the replacement at Home Depot and used lock tite on it this time. Hope it stays put this time.

Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Is it the same size that is used to secure the backrest to the Saddle? Thats the one i'm missing. The adjustment bold is still in place.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    Is it the same size that is used to secure the backrest to the Saddle? Thats the one i'm missing. The adjustment bold is still in place.
    Are you talking about the screws that hold the backrest? If so I think those are a #10 screw if I remember right.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Are you talking about the screws that hold the backrest? If so I think those are a #10 screw if I remember right.
    No i'm refering to the screw that goes through the saddle and into the rod at the bottom that keeps the backrest of sliding up and out of the hold on the saddle itself.

Spyder Garage

That one is the same, 1/4" 20

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    That one is the same, 1/4" 20
    Cool Thanks!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The actual design of how the bolt pushes against the back rest post to hold it in place is not the strongest way to attach a back rest and if you lean against it in a curve, you'll help it to work it's way loose.

On a related note, I kept noticing that the drivers backrest bolt on my Corbin kept backing out, but strangely the passenger one has never moved. Probably from the vibration of the engine. I put some Locktite and a lock washer on it and it hasn't moved since.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trm17118 View Post
    The actual design of how the bolt pushes against the back rest post to hold it in place is not the strongest way to attach a back rest and if you lean against it in a curve, you'll help it to work it's way loose.

On a related note, I kept noticing that the drivers backrest bolt on my Corbin kept backing out, but strangely the passenger one has never moved. Probably from the vibration of the engine. I put some Locktite and a lock washer on it and it hasn't moved since.
    Thats exactly how mine is acting. Guess i'll use some locktight once i get a new bold for it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trm17118 View Post

I can't really see putting very much weight onto the backrest - especially in a turn where you typically slide down and in to the turn.

On a recent trip I took the backrest along and thought I would try it out just on my way back home --- but I forgot to take my Corbin key - so I couldn't remove the rear seat and thus couldn't properly install the backrest.

I ended up just using it without the bottow screw - and it worked just fine. Still not sure if I like having a backrest or not.

Spyder Garage

Default Corbn Backrest

Recently installed the Corbin saddle seat & back rest. Big improvement over the stock seat (in my opinion). But noticed very quickly that the back rest itself is loose, it woobles from side to side. Took the back plate off (mistake, was a pain getting screws lined up again because the screws go thru the foam in the back rest) and didn't see any adjustments to eliminate said play in the backrest.

E-mailed Corbin to ask if this was normal, never got a response. The square post is tight and secure to the front saddle, the back rest is also attached securely to the square post except for the side to side play.

Any suggestions or info on this issue would be helpful.

Thanks