Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Issues changing down

My new RT started giving me problems at about 300km into its first decent ride. Pulled off the highway for a break and went to change down as I entered the service station, went down to 5th gear but refused to go any further. If I insisted it would give me an "E" where the gear indicator is on the dash. I fiddled about and managed to get into third to get rolling again. These symptoms continued all the way home, about 200km but it would refuse to change down at random gears - sometimes 3rd, sometimes 4th etc and I couldn't get first at all until I rode into my driveway. It was no fun trying to move off from lights in 4th or 5th gear, lucky this is such a torquey engine!

I rode to the dealer yesterday and the fault continued all the way there. I trust this dealer and the sevice manager said that some 2014s had this problem but he didn't want me thinking that I'd bought a lemon and they would sort it out for me.

So, there it is, has anyone else had this problem and knows what caused it? I'll post the answer when I know a bit more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sad news..!!

have not heard of this issue with the 14's. Hope they find the problem and we can find out what caused this. Have seen similar problems on earlier models due to various reasons but they had the 5 speed and a different clutch system..do let us know...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have not heard of or had this problem

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I posted this thread a week or two ago. If all you see is the letter E, without any other error messages or flashing lights, it appears to be caused by the shift sensor not keeping up with your shifting. I saw it once again yesterday, but as I have moderated my shifting speed it rarely shows up. Perhaps you are shifting down too quickly?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t-sensor-error

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

No, I don't think I'm shifting down too quickly, it just gets down to a certain gear and refuses to go down any further and it could be any gear where the refusal happens. I sometimes get an "E" when going from 1st to reverse or vice versa but I put that down to the RT being new and perhaps the actuating piston being a little slow since it always gets there in the end. Shifting up is fine.

I have fitted Rivco floorboards and the requisite heel/toe gear changer but looking at the way the lever is engineered it seems to only affect up shifting. The original lever still does the down shifting. Anyway, time will tell what the problem is but I don't think that I would be getting the big "E" if it was just a mechanical issue related to the gear lever.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gear position sensors have been known to give a little bit of trouble...
    Is the oil level in the bike proper? I've not heard of a low oil condition causing the "E" to show up, but it certainly does affect proper shifting of the bike...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Should have said, it's a manual. Oil level is fine. The more I think about this, the more I lean towards my own work in fitting the floorboards. If I have overtightened the bolt on the LHS it may not be allowing the shift lever to spring back after shifting (but I did check this after the installation). Three things work against that theory, though 1. Why would it be only on down shifting? 2. How can something mechanical generate an "E" message? 3. Why does it work sometimes and not others, and at various gear positions?

All a mystery to me but I'll email the dealer and ask him to check my work.
    Last edited by rollingstone; 12-21-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a manual RT and the only time I get the E is if I were to make a quick stop without downshifting and then when you try to go down to 1st I may get the E. It is the gear position sensor and maybe you did mess it up installing the floorboards.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHIFTING

Questions ????..........Did any of these issues occur before you added the floor boards and ...#2 did any occur before you installed the heel toe shifter ????.............if so IMHO I would take them off and see if this cures/fixes the problem!!!!!................If it does then you know where the issue is/was ........................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default CAUSES

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    That was why I asked about manual vs auto. Simple double check for no binding or interference which may be holding the shifter ever so slightly off the detent.

Then again, maybe the gear position sensor or what ever they call it is failing.

PK
    .............................Paul I agree , it could very well be the " GEAR POSITION SENSOR " I had one that went bad ( but it had 15,000 miles on it ) . I am suggesting easy, cheap solutions to start. If these arn't the cause then look further........IMHO........Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Answers

No, this didn't occur before the floorboards were fitted but neither did it occur after they were fitted - until about 300km into the first long ride. The only ride before that was a short one back from the dealer after picking it up. I tested it after I fitted the floorboards and it all worked fine plus it continued to work fine until 300km into the first ride. What puzzles me most is why it is only a problem with down shifting. I would have thought if it was a mechanical issue with the heel/toe shifter, it would affect both up and down shifting.

My previous 2011 RT had a GPS (gear position sensor) failure but the symptoms were totally different with the instrument panel showing alternately neutral then reverse. That sensor was replaced under warranty. The dealer, on that occasion, initially suspected the heel/toe shifter - I also had floorboards on that RT - but it turned out not to be the case.

Thanks everyone for the input, it is most welcome.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Game over!

OK, looks like this thread can finish now with me eating humble pie. I've just heard from the dealer service manager who says that the issue is with the heel/toe gear lever which is part of the floorboard installation on manual Spyders. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is but I'll get the full explanation when I pick it up which may be after Christmas as I'm suffering with a virus and it is really hot here at the moment.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default humble pie

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstone View Post
    OK, looks like this thread can finish now with me eating humble pie. I've just heard from the dealer service manager who says that the issue is with the heel/toe gear lever which is part of the floorboard installation on manual Spyders. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is but I'll get the full explanation when I pick it up which may be after Christmas as I'm suffering with a virus and it is really hot here at the moment.
    no need to eat humble pie, just getting up in front of everyone and admitting you goofed a little is more than most would do. good on ya as Aussies would say when I was there for six months in 2000-2001
    Andy

Spyder Garage

Default HUMBLE PIE ??????

.......You are welcome , see my post #10 , number #2 ..........Mike ..............My motto is always start simple

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default ...and the solution is..........

OK, thanks again to all for the input. I now know what happened, I slightly overtightened the bolt that holds the floorboard on the LHS; it goes through the gear change lever and wasn't letting the lever return after changing. I did check that it all worked OK at the time but it looks like I should have backed it off a tad more.

Good on ya all! and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to you and yours.

Robert

Spyder Garage

Thank you very much for posting about the outcome. Many, many threads talk about the problem and we never hear back what the solution was. Hearing both sides is important to all.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red