Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't Focus on the Negative!

I would like to offer an observation of my own about some 'Negativity' having been a worthy subject of discussion lately.

I used to ride dirt bikes a lot where I tended to encounter a great deal of hazards, obstacles, and otherwise negative riding conditions. The whole idea being to avoid or overcome all of them. It is very satisfying when you do. It can leave a mark when you don't.

One of the 1st things I learned is that you go where you look. You WILL end up at the very location where your focus is. Period!

In dirt bike riding, this translates into the unavoidable result that if you concentrate on the negative (the stump, rock, ditch, etc.) then you are doomed to encounter them. BUT! If you focus instead on where you WANT to go, that is where you WILL go. The results can be amazingly positive!

So while it is important that you recognize and acknowledge the negative, it is IMPERATIVE that you NOT dwell on it.

The other thing I discovered is that this does not come naturally. It takes determined practice.

I have since realized that this same principle applies to every aspect of life. And I would suggest that it applies even here on our beloved Spyderlovers forum.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ron.......that was deep....
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

A simpler way to put it is:

If you go through life looking for crap, what do you expect to find ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

For Ron....

If I'm not on ignore.

...and not a gay hug.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    For Ron....

If I'm not on ignore.

...and not a gay hug.

I don't have anyone on ignore. You never know when even the worst of us will post something worth reading. As they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day. (Military clocks are then right 1/2 as often).

Spyder Garage

So I'm a broken clock? Putting you on ignore now.

I would bet that even the ones here that are at each others throats would get along great in person!

These cyber words get so mis-conscrewed w mis-emotions its not funny....and sometimes things are said to be funny and not taken as funny.

In person i think we would all get along fine.

If not I'd just pee on your tires as dogs do....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Ron.......that was deep....
    Maybe.

...but I'd have to say that it also makes a LOT of sense. Including as it applies to the apparent "issue at hand" (which admittedly I don't fully understand). After all, there ARE a number of people in the world who can tend to be... shall we say... "a bit disrespectful at times"? Why not simply ignore them? (In fact, I think we have a button here for that.)

That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth. IMHO, this forum is far too valuable, to too many members, to get hung up on, or even offended by, a few "bad apples".
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    So I'm a broken clock? Putting you on ignore now.

I would bet that even the ones here that are at each others throats would get along great in person!

These cyber words get so mis-conscrewed w mis-emotions its not funny....and sometimes things are said to be funny and not taken as funny.

In person i think we would all get along fine.

If not I'd just pee on your tires as dogs do....

Spyder Garage

Agree Ron, look where you want to go, not at those things that will make you crash.

At some point, most everyone will come to terms with what is really important. Not money, Spyders, or how many fights you win behind a keyboard.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default "scientific" title

[ Thanks for bringing this up Ron. I first experienced the riding predicament as a child on a bicycle, centerpunching my neighbors kitten that had wandered out in the street. I was quite sad. Only YEARS later, after plenty of m/c experience did I understand POINT FIXATION. It especially applies to single track vehicles. I agree that it can also happen in our lives if we develop or lapse into a single track mind.
    Anyway, thanks for the reminder Ron. from another Ron

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It certainly works on driving a Spyder. At first I watched close to the front of the bike and it was all over the place. Once I started aiming down the road the ride got much better and easier to steer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well put..!!

thanks for that..hope everyone reads it and can understand. This social media thing is truely mislabled. To be social you have to be there. Here you have to be civil, polite and read the lines, between the lines and under the lines cause you can't see them...thanks again...!! your right on..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

No one can hurt or offend you unless YOU let them. It is not the other person it is YOU. If some people are so sensitive and politically correct perhaps a forum is not the place to be. Or at least take a time out when YOU let someone else ruffle your pin feathers.

Lighten up and take a deep breath. Lets get back to talking Spydertalk!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rattigan Roger

...... when I once tried to apologized for not acknowledging his input to a question I posted here sometimes back, issued these sage words that have never been forgotten...

" You don't have the power to offend me" .

Brilliant come back and I searched diligently to discover where this quote originated. "The Reader", I discovered, was the base source. "You don't have the power to upset me" You don't matter enough to upset me".

Bottom line is I learned a quick and valuable lesson that day. If we allow the words of others to upset or offend us then they, at that moment in time, truly have the Power. Letting it go stops the jolt we experience from being the brunt of this power surge and allows us to get back to functioning somewhat normally.

So, the next time someone tries to exert their power over you with words that you find offensive think happy thoughts of Kate Winslet.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default .......

thinking.......!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I beg to differ on this statement --- " One of the 1st things I learned is that you go where you look " I have heard this before from a few people... BUT
    when riding I look at lots of other things... ie road signs, and such... BUT I have NEVER HIT ONE OF THEY YET .. !!

OSM

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I would like to offer an observation of my own about some 'Negativity' having been a worthy subject of discussion lately.

I used to ride dirt bikes a lot where I tended to encounter a great deal of hazards, obstacles, and otherwise negative riding conditions. The whole idea being to avoid or overcome all of them. It is very satisfying when you do. It can leave a mark when you don't.

One of the 1st things I learned is that you go where you look. You WILL end up at the very location where your focus is. Period!

In dirt bike riding, this translates into the unavoidable result that if you concentrate on the negative (the stump, rock, ditch, etc.) then you are doomed to encounter them. BUT! If you focus instead on where you WANT to go, that is where you WILL go. The results can be amazingly positive!

So while it is important that you recognize and acknowledge the negative, it is IMPERATIVE that you NOT dwell on it.

The other thing I discovered is that this does not come naturally. It takes determined practice.

I have since realized that this same principle applies to every aspect of life. And I would suggest that it applies even here on our beloved Spyderlovers forum.

Spyder Garage

Default Sunday morning reflexion

This has been an insightful thread.

Thinking back on some past posts I have made, I'm inclined to think I could have done better.

In some other email communications with a couple of old friends who have somewhat differing political views from mine, I also think I have been overly harsh in some comments.

Thanks for starting this one Ron.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    No one can hurt or offend you unless YOU let them. It is not the other person it is YOU. If some people are so sensitive and politically correct perhaps a forum is not the place to be. Or at least take a time out when YOU let someone else ruffle your pin feathers.

Jack
    Im a dog, I don't have feathers!

Lol

Spyder Garage

Default written words

[QUOTE=BajaRon;888387]I would like to offer an observation of my own about some 'Negativity' having been a worthy subject of discussion lately.

I have since realized that this same principle applies to every aspect of life. And I would suggest that it applies even here on our beloved Spyderlovers forum.[/QUOT

To those I have not had the pleasure of meeting I can only read your words and apply my own meaning. Some of these words to me have been rather offensive-maybe a PM would be of better use instead of dragging the rest of the forum into it.
    I really enjoy -for the most part - the information and sharing of experiences and look forward to attending some of the rallies next year.
    Words on paper are left open to the viewer to determine their intent.
    My 2 cents worth after 74 + years

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    This couldn't have been said any better!

Some people just NEED to take time off as they take things to personally.

Unfortunately, when there isn't a whole lot to talk about, people start to complain and get on each others nerves. Then there are those members that thrive on the banter, and make it a point to poke both sides in a discussion for their own amusement. Think of it like a school room full of children with no curriculum or anything to do.
    This happens a LOT on tech forums when there is very limited tech....

Spyder Garage

Well said Ron!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    I beg to differ on this statement --- " One of the 1st things I learned is that you go where you look " I have heard this before from a few people... BUT
    when riding I look at lots of other things... ie road signs, and such... BUT I have NEVER HIT ONE OF THEY YET .. !!

OSM
    You're right! Poor word choice on my part. Any driving instructor will tell you it is important to keep your eyes moving and not to focus in on, concentrate or fixate on any single object or spot. 'Look' was too vague a word in my application.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Every time you respond to something negative you give it life and a place in your world.. every time you ignore something negative you begin to bleed it to death.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Object fixation....[emoji43] [emoji16] [emoji33] Probably one of the hardest things to learn or bad habits to break.....in riding and in life...