Thread: my F3 ride

Spyder Garage

Default my F3 ride

I haven't posted to this forum in a long time. I'm a dealer, and i get to ride Spyders nearly every day. I truly appreciate each model for its strengths and weaknesses. If I had to choose one for my only Spyder to ride, it would probably be an ST. That said, I am more of a sport touring motorcycle rider, so I spend much of my free time on a Triumph Sprint ST. Its my favorite ride, until last week.
    I am NOT a cruiser rider! So when BRP unveiled the F3 I wasnt thrilled. Although it is MUCH better looking in person I wasn't sold on it. Not for me says I! Then I rode it, and I was STUNNED by the handling, FLOORED by the arm stretching acceleration, THRILLED by the reduced stability controls. I will OWN the first one that hits my shop! The Sprint is history!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Damn nice to hear.......

Spyder Garage

Wow, thanks for the post. I think you just upped the anticipation level. I'm sure you'll now get lots of questions.
    Dan

2014 RT-S SE6, 2012 RT-622 trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Good to hear you liked the F3 , looking forward to seeing it and Tetris driving one!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

thanks for your ride report...I had a 2009 RS got a 2013 ST.....love the ST....even through all the heat problems.....will test ride F3 November 6th....getting excited....just got the ST running good.....scary....it's only $$$$

Spyder Garage

Default 3 words

nothing negative here, but the 1st 3 words of your 2nd sentence tells me something....
    "i'm a dealer"....
    being such, aren't you required to say ONLY positive things about the products you sell...???
    just ask'n....
    dp

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    nothing negative here, but the 1st 3 words of your 2nd sentence tells me something....
    "i'm a dealer"....
    being such, aren't you required to say ONLY positive things about the products you sell...???
    just ask'n....
    dp
    I had the same thought at first, however I think he mentioned the fact simply to explain why he got to ride the F3, the rest is simply from a motorcycle enthusiasts point of view, IMO. We will all get a chance at a test drive, and some of the toughest critics are here
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by NovaSpyder View Post
    I had the same thought at first, however I think he mentioned the fact simply to explain why he got to ride the F3, the rest is simply from a motorcycle enthusiasts point of view, IMO. We will all get a chance at a test drive, and some of the toughest critics are here
    NOVA....
    i will be the very 1st in my neighborhood to TEST RIDE the new F3....
    i'm thinking that; if i like it, i'll buy it... but i'll also keep my RS, just in case....
    dp

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    NOVA....
    i will be the very 1st in my neighborhood to TEST RIDE the new F3....
    i'm thinking that; if i like it, i'll buy it... but i'll also keep my RS, just in case....
    dp
    Right on. I'll be waiting to read the test ride reports, we won't see any up here until probably April.

Dan
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Yes, I am a dealer, but no, I pay my own bills so I can say what I think. The point I'm making with the F3 is it is the first Spyder that I've really, really fallen in love with in the 5 years I've been selling them. Its that good. You ride it with your legs rather than your arms. It almost feels like a SkiDoo with the Rev chassis. When it powers off the corners it almost "tails" out which is so much fun! For those with flat tracking in their past its kind of like that when you drive it hard out of the corners, almost arst first! The acceleration is HARD at WOT, especially at 6k+. Unlike any Spyder before it. If you love performance, you will love it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    I haven't posted to this forum in a long time. I'm a dealer, and i get to ride Spyders nearly every day. I truly appreciate each model for its strengths and weaknesses. If I had to choose one for my only Spyder to ride, it would probably be an ST. That said, I am more of a sport touring motorcycle rider, so I spend much of my free time on a Triumph Sprint ST. Its my favorite ride, until last week.
    I am NOT a cruiser rider! So when BRP unveiled the F3 I wasnt thrilled. Although it is MUCH better looking in person I wasn't sold on it. Not for me says I! Then I rode it, and I was STUNNED by the handling, FLOORED by the arm stretching acceleration, THRILLED by the reduced stability controls. I will OWN the first one that hits my shop! The Sprint is history!

What an awesome story! Dealer or not, thanks for giving an honest assessment, especially coming from a dealer who gets to ride the lot and has done a test ride on the F3.
    It just goes to show that a test ride can really make the difference.

The F3 is stunning with the touring package plus the fact that it has the Rotax 1330 ACE engine. That's just my opinion.
    Last edited by iSpyder123; 09-29-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sold..!!

you are. Glad you found the one to own. Ryding them whenever and having your pick it must have impressed you a lot to want to own one..it will always be tge test ryde....congrats..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Its been years since I've ridden something I later had to have! I was very skeptical of the F3 going into the conference reveal. IMO the cruiser market is "soft" and certainly not very appealing to me. But this bike is so different in how it rides that it will really appeal to guys like me that are looking for a different experience. I'm not sure what the passenger experience will be (I suspect more like the ST) but I think a lot of "on the fence" two wheeler riders are going to love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; I think that your report ought to set some folks to drooling,
    Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    thanks for your ride report...I had a 2009 RS got a 2013 ST.....love the ST....even through all the heat problems.....will test ride F3 November 6th....getting excited....just got the ST running good.....scary....it's only $$$$
    The F3 is all but in your garage!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Riding is believing as they say.

I know exactly what you're saying. This by far is the most fun I've had on a Spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Triumphcycleman - I appreciate your thoughts and input. I'm still firmly ensconced in the 2-wheel world, and like Lamont's previous endeavors, I'm involved with heavyweight custom-type bikes. That being said, we just bought a 2011 RS-S for my wife, and it's a blast! Between the fun we're having with the Spyder and the cruiser-type riding position & performance of the F3, I'm very enthusiastic about the new machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, here's my dilemma: as a long-time RS rider, I'm used to really throwing my Spyder around in the twisties. I've long since optimized it for cornering (shocks, bars, seating position/boards/risers), and I ride it as hard as I can. It's no two-wheeler carver, but having ridden it back-to-back with both stock RTs and STs, neither of those can compare to how I've set my RS up.

All of which comes down to: how does the F3 handle? Given how critical "body English" is to cornering a Spyder (i.e. shifting weight forward and to the inside, feet pushing off the pegs/boards), the cruiser-style seating position has had me (and many other RS owners) skeptical.

I'm most definitely going to test ride an F3 as soon as I can get my hands on one, but in the interim: how is the handling in comparison to the current stable of Spyders, especially the RS?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    wow, can we trust you? that being said, maybe i'll hold on the slingshot till i can try the f3!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now I can't wait. Put my deposit down yesterday for my F3-S yesterday. Was first told November delivery...today I was updated with a Jan delivery...seems like it is definitely going to be worth the wait.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    wow, can we trust you? that being said, maybe i'll hold on the slingshot till i can try the f3!
    Yeah! He speaks the truth! What he's said coincides entirely with Lamont's findings and we know that we can trust Lamont!

I'm having the F3 catalogue sent to me and I spoke to my dealer yesterday about projected availability in the UK.

It's butt ugly from the front, but in a nice way....aggressive and not unlike a Lotus 7.
    1268927624-100_0311.jpg

We do lose a lot of storage compared with all other models, I'd certainly like to see bigger hard bags at the rear
    but it is what it is and I coped on two wheels for 50 years so I expect I'll manage.

I'm having one before I'm too bloody old to appreciate the performance!!

Frankly, I don't think that a drag from the traffic light would be quite as appealing with a colostomy bag!!
    Last edited by OJ UK; 10-01-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Whenever you folks do get that giant F3 brochure

Be sure to have your Lobster Bib handy.
    Firmly attached around the neck.

As there will be some extra drooling to factor into the mix. ;-)

I shall post a few home pics from this publication sonetime today.

It's so large, my flat bed scanner would only capture 1/2 a page per scan. So That's out.
    Will have to use my iPad to take some snap shots.

The overhaed shot is my favorite, and really captures the essence here.
    You can almost inhale and smell those lovely, new bike fumes. Hahaha

No, there isn't any GAS going on here like we acquire in the photography realm.
    Ah, you do know what GAS is don't you? Gear Acquistion Syndrome.
    But I do need new ryding gloves, another better helmet, some leather pants.
    Those are for clubbing in, not necessarily ryding breeches. And I don't mean baby seals. :-{

Chas