Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

I'm puzzled by all this tyre chat. I've ridden biked for 30 years and had many, but rear tyres have always been expendable. 1,500 - 2,000 on the back of a Buell 4-5,000 on the front was about standard. Kawasaki GT 550 was 3 or 4 times that, but, to me, that's just what I expect from soft, grippy bike rubber. I'd be scared to death fitting hard , relatively slippy car tyres on a motorcycle.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRES-----TIRES-----TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    I'm puzzled by all this tyre chat. I've ridden biked for 30 years and had many, but rear tyres have always been expendable. 1,500 - 2,000 on the back of a Buell 4-5,000 on the front was about standard. Kawasaki GT 550 was 3 or 4 times that, but, to me, that's just what I expect from soft, grippy bike rubber. I'd be scared to death fitting hard , relatively slippy car tyres on a motorcycle.
    ....Since you are a NEWBIE I'll go slowly..........You are comparing apples to oranges .......Real Mtc tires on a Real (two wheel ) Mtc. wear out completely different from what happens on a Spyder..............Mtc's lean...../ \ / \ ...Spyders don't .......I completely agree with you that CAR tires on a TWO wheel Mtc is not a Good idea .............But the Spyder is really more like a " MORGAN CAR " just without the bodywork....And no one who is putting CAR tires on the Spyder is having any issues with TRACTION.......Me included , and I've logged over 25,000 miles using various car tires .......................Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Mspiv View Post
    I am am perfectly capable of finding a dealer to change a tire. I would like to keep up with the group I am riding with. The hotels are all arraigned and none of the allow for a tire change stop . And no oil change neede. I will be a bit over the 9200 mile range but not that bad.

as for Milage on motorcycle tires go, I ride a Goldwing. I tour heavily loaded, and I get at least 20k or better on tires
    Wish I had known you the 40 yrs I rode a Goldwing... NEVER got anywhere near 20K.... would have loved to steal your secret formula I'm on my first 7K on the '14 RT-S and still have a good amount of tread on the back tire..... hoping I was lucky enough to get one of the "older formula" tires...... Time will tell....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used to get 4,000 out of the OEM Dunlaps...
    Got 6,000 miles out of the first Kenda, and thought I was in Heaven!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default tire wear

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I found it interesting that the Arachnid that is on my Spyder is wearing on the outer edges. If Vee Rubber and Kenda got together and took the middle of Arachnid and the sides of the Kenda maybe they could make a tire that would last.

put more air in the tire, I started at 26 psi and adjust from there.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default tire options

Quote Originally Posted by Mspiv View Post
    So we bought a 2014 Limited because we love to tour. The T in RT is for touring Right?

So in a couple of weeks we will set out for an 10000 mile Cancer fund raising trip called The Ride For The Relay.

I would love love to complete this ride with the group I set out with. But that is probably impossible since I will need to replace at least 1 rear tire possible 2 during this trip.

are you serious!?

Is BRP ADDRESSING THIS ? Or like most other engineering issues, burying their head in the sand. I am becoming disenchanted.

I may be to late but I put a nitto nt 450 205/55/15r on my new 14 rt and the speedo and rpm's match the kendas perfectly. good tire good on wet and dry roads. took about 600 mi. to brake in now even better. got the tire at big O tire , 105 plus tax took to my dealer and had it mounted 90. total 195 and I don't look to change it for 30,000 mi. at the soonest. tire is so close to the same width as the old junk kenda you can't even measure the difference. and don't tell them what your buying the tire for. good luck.

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Since you are a NEWBIE I'll go slowly..........You are comparing apples to oranges .......Real Mtc tires on a Real (two wheel ) Mtc. wear out completely different from what happens on a Spyder..............Mtc's lean...../ \ / \ ...Spyders don't .......I completely agree with you that CAR tires on a TWO wheel Mtc is not a Good idea .............But the Spyder is really more like a " MORGAN CAR " just without the bodywork....And no one who is putting CAR tires on the Spyder is having any issues with TRACTION.......Me included , and I've logged over 25,000 miles using various car tires .......................Mikeguyver
    Wonderfully condescending! As a NEWBIE I couldn't possibly have a valid opinion now could I? The fact that I'm amazed that a tyre on a motorcycle of any variety can last anything like 6-10,000 miles must mean I'm an idiot, right? But, hey, why not throw in a reference to, I can only assume you mean the Morgan 3 wheelers, to divert from the real issues? An anachronistic throwback to the 1930's with half the power to weight ratio of a Spyder and a frame made out of wood. Any tyre suitable for that will surely suit a Spyder? Really? I push my Spyder hard, round twisty Scottish roads where grip counts over mileage every time. I'm trying to keep up with bikes and mostly succeed. I need grip in the corner and traction on the exit. I do have traction issues that adding a car tyre could only exacerbate - but I'm just a NEWBIE so, clearly, a 'no one'! Get off your high horse and wind your neck in!

Spyder Garage

Fat Chip,

My expeareance with the stock rear tire was that it would skip out when pushed hard. I beleive due to it's two ply rating. My wife would complain loudly and I would have to slow down to keep her happy. After I put the Khumo car tire on I found that it would hold the line better ( no skip out) and I can now take those curves a lot faster with no complaints from the wife.
    Bottom line - the car tire handles better and the bonus is that it lasts longer as I now have more miles on it then the OEM and it still looks new.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wonderfully condescending! As a NEWBIE I couldn't possibly have a valid opinion now could I? The fact that I'm amazed that a tyre on a motorcycle of any variety can last anything like 6-10,000 miles must mean I'm an idiot, right? But, hey, why not throw in a reference to, I can only assume you mean the Morgan 3 wheelers, to divert from the real issues? An anachronistic throwback to the 1930's with half the power to weight ratio of a Spyder and a frame made out of wood. Any tyre suitable for that will surely suit a Spyder? Really? I push my Spyder hard, round twisty Scottish roads where grip counts over mileage every time. I'm trying to keep up with bikes and mostly succeed. I need grip in the corner and traction on the exit. I do have traction issues that adding a car tyre could only exacerbate - but I'm just a NEWBIE so, clearly, a 'no one'! Get off your high horse and wind your neck in!
    We take twistys pretty hard over here, too, and I believe more plys will cause it to grip better. Now, if you are 90 lbs. soaking wet and ride one up (which I'm not and I don't) a car tire may not work for you! When I first joined the sight here, I got put off by a few around here, but quickly found that the wealth of information was worth a little crap every once in a while. Hang in there!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    We take twistys pretty hard over here, too, and I believe more plys will cause it to grip better. Now, if you are 90 lbs. soaking wet and ride one up (which I'm not and I don't) a car tire may not work for you! When I first joined the sight here, I got put off by a few around here, but quickly found that the wealth of information was worth a little crap every once in a while. Hang in there!
    Yes, unfortunately not all members are welcoming and realize that just because a person is new to this forum means little in their ability to contribute or overall wealth of knowledge and experience.

As far as Spyder tires go, I think the common wisdom is they are made to a price point (to be kind) and their performance is adequate, but just. A variety of automotive tires seem to perform better and have longer life at the same time.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Hi Guys:

I used to work for Goodyear. They make different tires per contract for the auto companies. The auto companies told them how much they were gonna spend per auto and if Goodyear wanted their business, they had to meet that price. So the tires made just for that company were not as high quality as what is in the tire stores. That is probably what Can Am does.

Tallow

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Yes, unfortunately not all members are welcoming and realize that just because a person is new to this forum means little in their ability to contribute or overall wealth of knowledge and experience.

As far as Spyder tires go, I think the common wisdom is they are made to a price point (to be kind) and their performance is adequate, but just. A variety of automotive tires seem to perform better and have longer life at the same time.

Spyder Garage

Default rear tires

My wifes 2010 rts has been running general altimax rt 215/60-15 rear pretty much since new, average 25000mi. or so she almost only rides 1 up so scuffs tire pretty bad run 17psi. 1 up 20psi. when pulling bunkhouse camper , factory tires and recommended pressure ratings are ridiculous , she has 65000miles now . She also has 175/65-14 General Altimax fronts ,@ 21psi. about to change with 35000mi. on then lots of tread but starting to cup . Hope this helps someone, I think some have changed shocks trying to fix an inferior tire problem the fronts handle MUCH better than oem. due to better sidewall construction, and since I know someone will ask "0" issues since new with different tire sizes. She rode this bike from S.E. Texas to P.C. Hwy 1 and then to Alaska no issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An update on my 14 RTS rear tire replacement. I pulled the rear tire, took it to my dealer and had them install the Michelin Hydroedge I bought on Amazon for $85. They gave me a little static about putting a different size tire on, but after I insisted, mentioned this site and told them others had done it and it was well within the programming parameters of the wheel speed sensors, they installed and balanced it for $25. Took it home and installed it. Got the belt tension set at 225 on the cricket and tracking just off the inner edge of the rear sprocket. After all this, took the wife on a high speed ride and she could tell the difference immediately. Much smoother, more grab in curves. The stiffer sidewalls keep the tire tracking better. Running 28 psi for now. No issues with wheel speed sensors at all. Haven't checked speed accuracy yet. Added bonus, the 1/2" rise in the rear tire has put the top edge of the windshield below my normal scan zone, which is a big plus!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by syclemom View Post
    My wifes 2010 rts has been running general altimax rt 215/60-15 rear pretty much since new, average 25000mi. or so she almost only rides 1 up so scuffs tire pretty bad run 17psi. 1 up 20psi. when pulling bunkhouse camper , factory tires and recommended pressure ratings are ridiculous , she has 65000miles now . She also has 175/65-14 General Altimax fronts ,@ 21psi. about to change with 35000mi. on then lots of tread but starting to cup . Hope this helps someone, I think some have changed shocks trying to fix an inferior tire problem the fronts handle MUCH better than oem. due to better sidewall construction, and since I know someone will ask "0" issues since new with different tire sizes. She rode this bike from S.E. Texas to P.C. Hwy 1 and then to Alaska no issues.
    I ran those Altimaxs on my 08 and thought they were an excellent choice.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing all other bykes will have to change rear tires at least once if using OEM. Or you can buy an Kumho and be good to go.