Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Virgin 2014 RT SM6 - A Clean Slate - What to do / What not to do

Hi.. I just bought a brand new 2014 RT SM6.. put about 1000 miles on it.. joined here because every Spyder owner I have met said to do so..
    Honestly.. not sure what to do.. any help for a noob.. anything I must do (yes other than enjoy).. should do.. shouldn't do..
    For example..
    Not sure about changing the pegs..
    Or buying the analog gauges..
    Or the cargo inserts..
    Or a driver backrest..
    Add the fog lights..
    It's a clean slate, but want to make sure I take care of it.. and get the most enjoyment out of it.. suggestions? warnings? advice?
    Thanks in advance!

Spyder Garage
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dog603 View Post
    Hi.. I just bought a brand new 2014 RT SM6.. put about 1000 miles on it.. joined here because every Spyder owner I have met said to do so..
    Honestly.. not sure what to do.. any help for a noob.. anything I must do (yes other than enjoy).. should do.. shouldn't do..
    For example..
    Not sure about changing the pegs..
    Or buying the analog gauges..
    Or the cargo inserts..
    Or a driver backrest..
    Add the fog lights..
    It's a clean slate, but want to make sure I take care of it.. and get the most enjoyment out of it.. suggestions? warnings? advice?
    Thanks in advance!
    Fact.... Do what you want to do to it.... You will get 1000 OPINIONS here..... FACT it is up to you to do what you want to do to YOUR bike.... I had a person tell me sushi was good... that was his opinion.... he lied it is nothing but fish bait.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ride it and find out what you think is missing or you need to add to make it more enjoyable. Go to spyderfest in April in springfield, mo. you will see just about everything you can add to the spyder. there is no rush, we don't subtract points if you are slow to add farkles. This is our machine, so what you do is just for you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Log some miles before thinking about:
    1 What needs changing
    2 What you'd LIKE to change

It's easy to confuse the two lists
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Baja Ron's Missing Belt Guard - is a must have. Has anyone given you a Gremlin Bell yet? Those are the "must haves"

I bought the base model (SE tho) too, and took the chrome analog clock & thermometer from my Honda and attached them to the gauge blanks - I also ran out and bought a set of Seal Floorboards, which I prefer over all others - then added a couple of spyder decals, and a shorty antenna, coffee cup holder, and RAM mount for my GPS. Santa has already purchased Baja Ron's sway bar for me, and I think I'm pretty much done with farkles.

The stock radio w/iPod is perfect for me, I have no use for any type of "communication systems", and the weather out here isn't bad enough to warrant all the "gear" - a Costco $20 suit is plenty. A lot of folks use a smart phone for a GPS, and out East, it would probably work. Out West, not so much... still lots of "cell holes" out here, and I REALLY don't want to hear a phone while I'm on my Spyder...

So, other than my top line - everything else is optional, get it when you decide you need it...
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 09-02-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!! Welcome..!!

to the roadster world and this most informative site.. As to what to do etc...I agree with those telling you to ryde and enjoy and on those off moments go to our sponsors and see all the cool stuff. Search the albums and see what has been done to spiffy up the roadsters. Then consider what you need (safety, comfort) and then what you want (flash and bling) known as farkles here...be safe..
    Last edited by Chupaca; 09-03-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default 12v power on dash

Congrats and welcome! My recommendation is getting a 12v power source somewhere on your dash. Especially if you have a smart phone you like to have in reach. I use mine as my GPS among other things. Great how-tos in this forum for different ways to do this.

Spyder Garage

I'M NEW HERE TOO, JUST TRAVEL AROUND IN THE FORUMS THAT WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA WHAT IS POPULAR AND THE SAFETY STUFF.
    VERY GOOD SITE JUST ASK ANY TIME YOU HAVE A QUESTION , YOU'LL GET AN ANSWER ( PROBABLY MORE THAN ONE LOL) , BUT YOU WILL GET GREAT ADVISE, AND EVERYTHING ON HERE IS SHARED, NOBODY IS HOLDING STUFF FOR THEMSELVES . STUFF = FARKLES.

2014 RT LTD Cognac ; Stanless Steel Kott Grilles , BajaRon Swaybar ,
    Belt Guard , Cargo Nets for storage , Ride N Go Cup Holder , Spyderpops Bumpskid.

Spyder Garage

OK, I just bought an RTS SM6. This is my second Spyder so I may have a leg up on you.
    It is virgin. I've done a couple of things to it so far. As far as farkles (modifications) go, yes everyone is right, to each their own, and you may or may not want to add this or that.
    I think, however more to the point the "really really really ought to do" list is as follows.
    1) Get a laser alignment.
    2) GET a laser alignment.
    3) GET A LASER ALIGNMENT.

That's really all the "must have" list. The rest is dependent on your own tastes. Ride your Spyder like you stole it. Once you have a few thousand miles on it, consider the rest of your list. I've included yours and added a couple of my own, in what I feel the order you might consider them in.

A) I also got a set of BAJA Ron Links installed to replace the plastic OEM ones. Not a necessity, just a reliability issue and peace of mind. You could easily wait until one of your breaks (if ever) before you replace it.

B) I had a Spyderpops bump skid installed. I found my previous Spyder was getting the bottom scratched so I had it installed from the get go.

C) I'd suggest the fog lights. The more light you have on the Spyder the better off you are.

D) I also bought the OEM backrest. I installed the Utopia backrest on my previous Spyder. A backrest is IMHO, invaluable for long distance riding, but you may find it different for you. Try to find someone local who has one and just try it out.

Do you need a communication system at all ? Wireless music and passenger communication into your helmet ?
    How about a GPS ? Both of these items are more for long distance riding. I'm really liking my bluetooth system.

Personally, I don't like floorboards with a manual shift, but some people love them You will most likely need a heel/toe shifter if you do.

The analog gages and cargo inserts are nice, but are more bling than anything else. Not really necessary.

How much of a noob are you ? Just new to Spyders, or new to riding ?
    There is some minimum gear you should have.
    Helmet, gloves, jacket, rain suit.

I may sound like a blow hard (and I am), but you asked.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

and on the new ryde.

The do's and don'ts list is a must read.

I am also in the camp that recommends to drive your RT SM6 just like it is for a bit, and then determine what, if any accessories you may want.

I would not spend extra for the analog gauges, the on board ones are just as accurate. The driving lights are a good add on--you can't have too many lights. I added a Custom Dynamics trunk light bar--also good lighting.

Enjoy your new ryde and keep us posted as you farkle your

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    A lot of folks use a smart phone for a GPS, and out East, it would probably work. Out West, not so much... still lots of "cell holes" out here,
    My Android tablet works super for GPS and has no cell capability at all. The Sygic GPS app is great, only costs about $30 for lifetime, and is available for iOS and Android. Go to www.sygic.com

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank-you.. great info.. sometimes even the boards are daunting as to where to start.

great info.. sometimes even the boards are daunting as to where to start!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Farkles...

Need to add that one to the dictionary.. lol..
    Thanks!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Big Thanks!

I hoped to get the type of info you sent.. so thank-you.. the rock guard does look like a must.. I will be ordering..
    I nice fellow from CT is sending me a Gremlin bell.. again thanks!

I thought about the gauges.. a rental version I had used before buying had them.. but I hear they are not that accurate so I decided against it for now..
    I have a gps mount so I am good there..

Just a cupholder for now I think with the rock guard..

We have our suits.. helmets.. no comms needed it is such a quiet ride..

All great info.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Baja Ron's Missing Belt Guard - is a must have. Has anyone given you a Gremlin Bell yet? Those are the "must haves"

I bought the base model (SE tho) too, and took the chrome analog clock & thermometer from my Honda and attached them to the gauge blanks - I also ran out and bought a set of Seal Floorboards, which I prefer over all others - then added a couple of spyder decals, and a shorty antenna, coffee cup holder, and RAM mount for my GPS. Santa has already purchased Baja Ron's sway bar for me, and I think I'm pretty much done with farkles.

The stock radio w/iPod is perfect for me, I have no use for any type of "communication systems", and the weather out here isn't bad enough to warrant all the "gear" - a Costco $20 suit is plenty. A lot of folks use a smart phone for a GPS, and out East, it would probably work. Out West, not so much... still lots of "cell holes" out here, and I REALLY don't want to hear a phone while I'm on my Spyder...

So, other than my top line - everything else is optional, get it when you decide you need it...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank-you!

Yes I agree... and had a 12v port added onto my dash.. fused to the battery.. for my gps and direct for battery tender.. Thank-you!

Quote Originally Posted by iSpyder View Post
    Congrats and welcome! My recommendation is getting a 12v power source somewhere on your dash. Especially if you have a smart phone you like to have in reach. I use mine as my GPS among other things. Great how-tos in this forum for different ways to do this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dog603 View Post
    Need to add that one to the dictionary.. lol..
    Thanks!
    peace love farkle shirt.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Arrow Big Thanks.. lots of good info!

Lots of great info.. thanks!

-Laser Alignment.. emphasized.. lol.. ok.. is this something my local CanAm Guy usually can do?
    -I will check into the Baja Rons Links..
    -And the Bump Skid.. looks good..
    -The fog lamps are another good idea.. I agree.. the more light I am throwing the less someone can say I didn't see them..
    -I am up in the air on the backrest.. I think I need to ride more.. I find myself slouching and thought this might help me..
    -I have the GPS/12v power covered.. and Bluetooth isn't really needed for me.. I use the IPOD connection (love it) for music..
    -I have to see how my plantar fasciitis deals with the pegs/vibrations as to whether or not to go with the floorboards..
    -But I like what I say with the road peg installation on Spyderpops.. very cool..

New to Spyders.. not so noobish to bikes (borrowed my bro's quite a bit)..

Thanks for all the suggestions and taking the time to shout it out!

Finally figured out how to set radio stations.. lol.. THEN found the REAL directions in the forums.. lol..

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    OK, I just bought an RTS SM6. This is my second Spyder so I may have a leg up on you.
    It is virgin. I've done a couple of things to it so far. As far as farkles (modifications) go, yes everyone is right, to each their own, and you may or may not want to add this or that.
    I think, however more to the point the "really really really ought to do" list is as follows.
    1) Get a laser alignment.
    2) GET a laser alignment.
    3) GET A LASER ALIGNMENT.

That's really all the "must have" list. The rest is dependent on your own tastes. Ride your Spyder like you stole it. Once you have a few thousand miles on it, consider the rest of your list. I've included yours and added a couple of my own, in what I feel the order you might consider them in.

A) I also got a set of BAJA Ron Links installed to replace the plastic OEM ones. Not a necessity, just a reliability issue and peace of mind. You could easily wait until one of your breaks (if ever) before you replace it.

B) I had a Spyderpops bump skid installed. I found my previous Spyder was getting the bottom scratched so I had it installed from the get go.

C) I'd suggest the fog lights. The more light you have on the Spyder the better off you are.

D) I also bought the OEM backrest. I installed the Utopia backrest on my previous Spyder. A backrest is IMHO, invaluable for long distance riding, but you may find it different for you. Try to find someone local who has one and just try it out.

Do you need a communication system at all ? Wireless music and passenger communication into your helmet ?
    How about a GPS ? Both of these items are more for long distance riding. I'm really liking my bluetooth system.

Personally, I don't like floorboards with a manual shift, but some people love them You will most likely need a heel/toe shifter if you do.

The analog gages and cargo inserts are nice, but are more bling than anything else. Not really necessary.

How much of a noob are you ? Just new to Spyders, or new to riding ?
    There is some minimum gear you should have.
    Helmet, gloves, jacket, rain suit.

I may sound like a blow hard (and I am), but you asked.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the info!

Agreed on all.. I will checkout the trunk light bar.. not sure why they would not have put this on just for visibility sake.. looks like a great idea..
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    and on the new ryde.

The do's and don'ts list is a must read.

I am also in the camp that recommends to drive your RT SM6 just like it is for a bit, and then determine what, if any accessories you may want.

I would not spend extra for the analog gauges, the on board ones are just as accurate. The driving lights are a good add on--you can't have too many lights. I added a Custom Dynamics trunk light bar--also good lighting.

Enjoy your new ryde and keep us posted as you farkle your

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My first farkles are always the bump-skid, anti-sway bar and links. If you don't ride gravel roads a lot, I'm not sure the belt guard is needed.

I hope you can come to the Spyderfest in Missouri in the spring. You'll find all sorts of farkles you didn't know you needed!!