Spyder Garage

Default Possible new owner of RT-T [2014]

Have been looking at maybe purchasing 2014 RT-T, and it looks like a wonderful machine for someone who has not rode for years, but I keep seeing post of people changing seats, tires,shocks,sway bars,etc. I understand seats and handlebars, but is the machine O.K. with the standard OEM shocks,sway bars, tires,etc.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's pretty dang good, right out of the box!
    A lot of the farkling is done in order to personalize the bike...
    The "Wants" outweigh the "Needs".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi

Just my two cents. I purchased 2014 rts-se6 in cognac 3 months ago. Put over 3,000 miles on it have had first service. Everything stock and it is a sweet riding machine. Semi-automatic transmission for me was a little clunky up to 1800 miles then smoothed out big time. There is no need to add any farkles (upgrades) to this machine trust me it is great the way it is. I think people just like making it there own and adding to it. Good luck and if you decide to buy you wont be disappointed I know I'm not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Me too; but for a different reason. The best advice I got was to take the Spyder pretty much as is, and ride it in stock form. This gives you a chance to learn how to ride your ride, and see how it responds under varying conditions. After a few thousand miles, then you can start changing stuff around. Since I have 8 years of riding a conventional trike mainly 2-up, the only options I am going to add are:
    1. BRP 25" Vented windshield
    2. BRP Adjustable side air vents
    3. Baja Ron's sway bar
    4. Bump Skid
    5. Larger brake pedal
    6. KOTT grills
    8. Missing belt guard
    9. Various Tricled lights
    Gee, that's quite a list.
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For certain; the farkling lists NEVER stop growing...
    Part of the fun, is seeing what I can get past the Missus next!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Mine is an out of the box RT-S except for a back rest and some additional lights. I find it perfectly good. 6,200 miles and counting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Farkling is half the fun of ownership!! However, my new RT (base) is just fine out of the box, and a darn site better than my old 2010, fully farkled....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

& that farkling is part of the fun! But the advice to ride it a while as it comes is sound. Then start adding what you think you really need. After you attend an event or two, you'll see what others have done with their Spyders and you'll get some ideas. Just hang on to your wallet!!!

Spyder Garage

Overall the machine is pretty nice as delivered.

I would very seriously get an alignment with the laser setup. This is a bit over $100. This was a HUGE improvement and made for a safer machine.

Rear tires, depending how much you ride, will decide your calender amount of time for the rear tire. Overall, the average is 6k miles on a rear tire. Rumor is the tires are softer compound and possibly BRP is coming back to the harder compound.

Seat is personal.

Sway bar, compliments alignment and does make a difference. Mandatory no. Nice yes. Inexpensive, pretty nice bang for the buck.

Most other stuff is discretion.

PK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Be Forwarned

Fine out of the box. But if you are a serious touring rider, be prepared to spend a day or two finding a dealer somewhere close to your planned route who MIGHT be interested i changing ing your rear tire because 6k miles is the about as good as it gets.

load it for a month on the road or pull a BRP Trailor and YMMV but probably not more than 6k miles. Oh yeah the POS rear tire is BRP expensive.

think twice or at least be forewarned.

Spyder Garage

I just recently upgraded from my '09 RS to a '14 RT-L, and when I say upgrade, it is an understatement. You see a lot of tire upgrades happening and that is a testament to how much fun it is to ride/how fast people are racking up the miles in a short period of time. You feel you have to ride everyday, and before you know it, she needs a new pair of sneakers.

As far as the other upgrades, look at the signature blocks of those upgrading. Most of those riders are owners of previous models and are seasoned spyder riders and have "pushed" the limits of the stock stuff and want to get more out of their spyders.

I probably won't be upgrading for a while unless we win the lottery as I'm still getting used to the different riding/handling characteristics of the RT. I did have the "nanny" kick in today on a ride to Estes Park on one of the turns as the rear end wanted to step out on me.

There is nothing wrong with learning how to ride the spyder stock, it's part of the fun of owning a spyder. Once you pushed the limits of the stock stuff, it will give you a better appreciation of your farkles once you start adding them.
    2020 Petrol Metallic RT-Limited Dark Edition

2014 Silver Platinum Satin RT-Limited SE6 Project Road Warrior Edition (previous ride)

2009 Red SM5 (Previous Ride)

Retired MSgt ('89-'13) U.S. Air Force - A-10 Crew Chief

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

I would venture to say you would not have to change a thing. They are very well made and for the average ryder. Once you master it you may find thing you would like to change and maybe not. Not everyone fits in the average ryder mold. Don't follow the heard build it to suit you cause you are the one driving it and paying for it...go for it you will not regret it..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default shortimer2 appreciate,s comments

I appreciate all the comments, makes me much confident on my choice of looking at Can Am Spyder. THANKS!

Spyder Garage

Three weeks ago, I purchased a 14'RT-SE6 in Cognac( traded a 2012 RTS-SE5) also, for me it is sweet machine right out of the box.

The 14'RT's are an AWESOME machine. I am keeping my 14'RTS-SE6 for a long time. Enjoy the 14'RTS-SE6. I have not added any extras to my 14'RTS-SE6 ( seat, shocks ect.) I have 986 miles on it, and getting 39.5mpg.

Your break- in mileage is:3,000 miles. When I have the time I next year I will do some farkling. The 14'RTS-SE6 is like night/day. Also, get your spyder laser aligned. Don't wait until something happens. and on your new Deanna777
    Last edited by Deanna777; 08-18-2014 at 07:27 PM.
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's pretty dang good, right out of the box!
    A lot of the farkling is done in order to personalize the bike...
    The "Wants" outweigh the "Needs".
    Dee
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats and Welcome!

Welcome and congrats on making a decision to buy a 2014 RT....it's an AWESOME machine. I also had a 2012 RT Limited and traded up to the 2014 RT Limited. Both machines were trouble free for me, but I already have more miles on my 2014 (about 8,000) and it rides GREAT!

Good luck with your selection of a 2014 RT!

Here's a list of farkles I have done -- every owner makes it their own from leaving it stock to adding something(s). It's fun to dream...so go ahead and have the dream, make it come true, and ENJOY

Any specific questions....don't hesitate to ask.....

Farkles completed (in the order I added them): HMT 3rd Brake Light w/ Dual Converter
    Helmet Guardian dual locks
    LED's on mirrors
    SENA Bluetooth
    BRP driver's seat backrest
    BajaRon's High Performance Sway Bar
    BajaRon's Heim Joint Links
    Bumpskid
    Netting in all compartments
    SPY 5000m Alarm
    FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn
    Smoothspyder Drive Belt Tensioner
    NBV Highway Brackets with Widow Pegs
    RT Stainless Steel KOTT Grilles
    Tri Axis Handlebars
    GPS Mount for Tri Axis Handlebars
    AutoSwitch Garage Door Remote Activator AS-7G
    Strada 7 Motorcycle Comfort Grip Covers
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 08-18-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a stock 2014 RT. The stock seat is very comfortable for me and my wife. After you have it a while you may want to do some farkles but it is a great machine out of the box!
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black