Thread: BRP back rest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP back rest

installed the factory back rest today, it was a piece of cake to do. the one thing i don't understand is that with all the planning and engineering that went into this bike, why didn't they make the back rest adjustable. i am sure i will get used to it but for some reason i feel like i am pushed forward. i am thinking that if i put some washers between the bottom plate and the seat, at the back part of the plate it will tilt the back rest towards the rear seat. i almost never ride 2 up so no worries there about a passenger. so what do you think. thanks

Spyder Garage

You asked the $64,000 question. For the money, it should be adjustable since we are all not made from the same mold.

Your not alone though, same issue here with Corbin, and Utopia. They have a very small adjustment factor--but I have found neither perfect.

Riding position is a very personal thing and it has always been difficult for me to find that perfect sweet spot for the 500 mile days. That's why I can't do them any more.

I do enjoy the 100 - 200 mile days though. Hope you will be able to do more--should you desire.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    installed the factory back rest today, it was a piece of cake to do. the one thing i don't understand is that with all the planning and engineering that went into this bike, why didn't they make the back rest adjustable. i am sure i will get used to it but for some reason i feel like i am pushed forward. i am thinking that if i put some washers between the bottom plate and the seat, at the back part of the plate it will tilt the back rest towards the rear seat. i almost never ride 2 up so no worries there about a passenger. so what do you think. thanks
    I have a factory backrest coming for my '14 seat and have heard the same issues about being pushed forward. Hubby told me he would put the washers on, just like you have suggested, to tilt it backwards. Have you been able to take a long ride yet?

Spyder Garage

if it is pushing you forward, you have either the wrong bracket or the wrong backrest, i had that same problem initialy and swapped the bracket out and now it is fine, but i also put 1/2 inch washers at the back of the bracket for more tilt.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Rather than adding washers or spacers between the seat pan and bracket, I removed the 2 front socket head screws from the "receiver" the backrest plugs in to and loosened the 2 at the rear. I put 2 thin stainless steel washers between the receiver and bottom bracket at the front and reinstalled the 2 socket head screws. After everything was tightened up and installed in the seat, the backrest angle was about perfect for me.
    I hesitated shimming the bracket away from the seat pan because it looks like the bracket is designed to be supported by the frame spine under the seat. I know there is a lot of give in the plastic seat pan but I didn't want to put extra stress on it.

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i did remove the bottom bracket today and i put some washers between the locking mechanism and the bracket plate, it helped a lil but i still feel the backrest moves me forward in the seat. i will see how it feels on the trip upstate tuesday. is there a different bracket for under the seat?? if so can someone tell me where to get it

Spyder Garage

i did remove the bottom bracket today and i put some washers between the locking mechanism and the bracket plate, it helped a lil but i still feel the backrest moves me forward in the seat. i will see how it feels on the trip upstate tuesday. is there a different bracket for under the seat?? if so can someone tell me where to get it

BRP makes two different brackets and back rests, one is for the comfort seat and one is for the stock seat and the do not interact.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John,
    If they're $450-"ish" dollars now; what would an adjustable version cost us??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    John,
    If they're $450-"ish" dollars now; what would an adjustable version cost us??

Hopefully LESS!!!!

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i just checked, i have the one for the comfort seat and that what is on the bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default back rest

If you take the bracket loose from the seat you can then put one small washer between the plate and upright that is bolted to it, very easy to do. the washers go on the front two allan head bolts. good luck.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default back rest

If you take the bracket loose from the seat you can then put one small washer between the plate and upright that is bolted to it, very easy to do. the washers go on the front two allan head bolts. good luck.

Spyder Garage

i just checked, i have the one for the comfort seat and that what is on the bike.

get them to exchange it for the stock seat one if you can and see if that is better.

cruzr joe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Back rest

I also had problem with back rest pushing me too far forward and ,for the price, was very disappointed it had no adjustment. I ended up taking the cover off and bending the sides of the backrest backward in a vice and removed some of the padding. Solved the problem, but a shame to have to do that to such an expensive add-on.