Spyder Garage

Default The dreaded Limp Home Mode

I never had the limp home mode problem that other Spyder owners posted about until recently. I had the bike jacked up to line up my belt so it was off the rear sprocket flange as recommended by BRP. To make sure that the belt was properly adjusted I started up the bike with the rear tire off the ground, shifted into 1st gear and let out the clutch and gently accelerated up to 20 -30 mph on the speedometer. All was fine until I put the bike all back together and went for a ride. Then all kind of faults shot across the screen, and the bike went into limp home mode. The faults codes are - C0051, P2545, and P0170. I can not clear the VSS fault, the check engine and VSS icons on the speedometer. Can anyone give me help in reseting the fault codes without going to the dealer? My bike was running great untill I made the belt adjustment.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DID YOU TRY THIS ? ? ?

I have done exactly the same as you .....But no fault codes resulted........Try removing the Key and moving at least 25 feet from the Spyder for at least 15 minutes. This will allow the computers to do a complete re-boot.........Mikeguyver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The key walk..!!

to check tracking you don't need speed. In the next one just idle and do it in reverse as well sometimes the belt walks off the edge of the rear sproket.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have done exactly the same as you .....But no fault codes resulted........Try removing the Key and moving at least 25 feet from the Spyder for at least 15 minutes. This will allow the computers to do a complete re-boot.........Mikeguyver
    If taking the key out doesn't work try driving a short distance .I had the same problem and it worked for me.

Good Luk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You forgot that your left pinky also needs to be in your right ear....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When my dealer adjusted my belt he ran the engine. Same fault he used BUDS to reset it. It is a VSS fault because rear wheel was turning when front was not so it though it was not getting traction. If it doesn't reset after a short ride off to the dealer with thee......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As Roger said, drive it and they will clear.
    I got the same codes and faults when I adjusted my belt.
    Turning off the key and walking away for 30 minutes did not clear them. Once I rode it down the street they cleared.

I logged it as I know when a dealer plugs in he is going to see them and I don't want them to take action so I am going to let the dealer know about it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I just experienced the Limp Home Mode Saturday in 100 degree weather. It came to a point when I was going up the hills, yes we have some roller coaster roads in Kansas, and I no longer had any gears left, not even Reverse. I am so disappointed as I have only had it just about two years with less than 6,000 miles on it. I am afraid it won't come home soon, if at all. Took two attempts and 4 hrs to get it home, I have to trailer it to Wichita tomorrow and they won't even be able to look at it until next week. :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk