Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spongy clutch lever issue on new 2013 Spyder ST

Getting weary of issues with my new 2013 Spyder ST. Figured I would see if anybody has had an issue with the clutch lever getting spongy, making it nearly impossible to shift out of gear? Had to pull my Spyder back into the garage this morning and take my dependable truck into work because I could not get it out of first gear.

Also, like others I am having the standard heat issues that others have been talking about, especially on really hot days. Yesterday, on a 60-mile ride from Gettysburg back to Northern Virginia, my right foot nearly burned up (the IR probe measured 148 degrees on my footpeg when I got home). The dealer had me speak with the lead tech, who said that I should expect a covered engine to get hot. But 148 degrees where my right foot is, near the brake? I have read all the potential fixes, including new panels, but I am getting the feeling that the dealer is going to push back. What is the best way to approach this situation? Deal with the dealer first, or BRP? It seems that the latter will simply be unresponsive.

Any advice on either of these would be really appreciated. Even though I love the Spyder (when it is not scalding hot and shifting properly), I am beginning to regret purchasing it. I don't want to feel that way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Seems like..!!

you need to go to your dealer and have him flush the hydraulic system for your clutch and check for any leaks. You can bleed the system and see if this clears it up but if the fluid is contaminated it will come back.
    On the heat right foot..spyderpops has been the best solution to redirecting the hot air off the radiator in my case. It's known and been that way since they started making the GS/RS/RSS's....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Chupaca. I went to the ST section of Spyderpops but did not see anything for the heat issue (saw it for other models). Were you referring to the missing heat shield?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

Quote Originally Posted by tjmphd1 View Post
    Thanks Chupaca. I went to the ST section of Spyderpops but did not see anything for the heat issue (saw it for other models). Were you referring to the missing heat shield?
    Actually it is the air management system on the RS/GS/RSS. You might get in touch with them about it. I don't know if there was a change on the ST where this would not work. They are great folks there and can help you out...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default So I am totally mechanically disinclined...

Chupaca you are a lifesaver! I checked the clutch fluid reservoir--totally bone dry! I filled it with DOT 4 brake fluid and it is back to normal. My bike has only 600 miles on it so I am wondering and worried about why it was empty. Any thoughts anybody? Also, I must have been driving it over the last few days with little or no clutch fluid. Did I do any undue wear and tear on it? Any thoughts much appreciated!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you got the issue with the spongy clutch lever solved. Not a mechanic here, but am sure the mechanical ones will supply you with more information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Back to dealer ASAP

There is no way the resivor should be dry in only 600 miles!
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Hi Princeau, I am thinking the same thing. I was supposed to drop it off for its first maintenance (600 miles) but I think now I am going to change the tenor of my message to them when I drop it off (fix it all or I am not picking this thing back up). I guess only two plausible explanations could cover this situation--a leak, or they did not check it/fill it prior to me picking it up. Combining this with the fact that my foot was blasted with 140 - 150 degrees on the ride yesterday, and I am quite upset with this purchase. I love the bike, but I am really getting discouraged fast. At least, for God's sake, let me make a single payment before the thing starts causing problems!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

Do have the system checked for leaking. Have heard of one other that found the system unusually low but never found out what they found. Comes fully operational from factory so they may not have topped it off dealer didn't check or it is leaking...also check on the air re-direction for your foot...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the bike shifted ok, then there is probably no damage. I do agree that the fluid should not be "gone" with that little mileage. Only two things that will cause low fluid is a leak or bad clutch discs.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The clutch went spongy on my 2013 ST on the way home from work one night with about 800 miles on the odometer. By the time I got it home the clutch lever was doing nothing at all. I checked the fluid and it was dry, so I called the dealer and a few days later they sent a guy out with a trailer to get it. Turned out the slave cylinder piston went out and scratched up the cylinder walls so they replaced that and a bunch of other affected parts under warranty. Took about 2 weeks for them to fix and I was not happy at all. Less than a 1000 miles and it had already crapped out on me!
    But after more than a 1000 trouble free miles since then I have started to trust it more, lots of new vehicles have issues during the first 1000 or so miles, just getting the bugs out. The dealer said they had only had one other Spyder with a bad clutch before mine and that clutch failures were very rare. Not sure if that was just blowing sunshine up my butt or the truth, but I am glad its working right now!

if your reservoir was dry its very likely you have a bigger problem than just low fluid. If your fluid was gone it went somewhere, preferably on the ground because an external leak is much easier to fix, but if you don't see any leaks its probably going inside your gearbox like mine. I would get it looked at before you end up stranded and have to get it towed. Brake fluid doesn't make very good gearbox/engine lubricant either, so adding more fluid every time it goes dry is not a good solution.
    Last edited by WashingtonApple; 06-30-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default spongy clutch

Hello, I'm new to the board also but have been reading for a while. I had the same type problem on my 2013 STS. I did a 1800 mile ride from Michigan to NJ and had no problem. A week later I was in NY for the Americade and on the 3rd day the clutch was getting spongy on a ride. Getting it out of reverse was impossible with out shutting it off. Then I could no longer shift so I suspected no fluid in the clutch. I stopped on the side of the road and there was almost no fluid in the reservoir. A guy at a nearby house had some brake fluid and got me back on the road. Took to the local dealer who said there was a bad o-ring in the clutch which was replaced under warranty. Only problem it took 2 days to get the o-ring. I have put on another 1000 miles and all is running ok. I hope your problems are all resolved soon so you can get back to riding.
    2013 sts , yellow

Spyder Garage

SOLVED the heat issues on my 2013 ST-S with the new panels. Didn't want to spend the money, but I don't regret it now. Installation was easy. We live in South Riding! We should ride sometime!