Thread: Knees

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Knees

My knees hurt a bit on long rides. Has anyone tried knee wraps or leg stockings while riding?

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default No...

Quote Originally Posted by mpapatonis View Post
    My knees hurt a bit on long rides. Has anyone tried knee wraps or leg stockings while riding?
    but you might think about adding highway pegs -- or large floorboards. I have the large Seal boards and can get my feet up and in the air just like highway pegs. Sure does help knees out lot by changing positions.

Just a thought, although I did not answer your question.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I move my legs back and forth to the rain deflectors. That definitely helps. Still gets to my knees on long rides though.

Spyder Garage

iburproben

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Options..!!

they will help by keeping the joints warm, circulation but movement is the best. Floorboards give you a range of motion highway pegs let you straighten you knee more. Stretching and walking around when you stop will help a lot. We always do at gas stops or rest stops....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default IBRUFEN

Quote Originally Posted by gmcgarrity View Post
    iburproben
    IMG_4781__39251.1400160635.500.750.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Knees

I wrap mine in asbestos bandage, but that's mainly to keep the heat off

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Seems like the highway pegs aren't any farther out than the rain gaurds. Any other advantage to them?

Spyder Garage

What Chupaco said above

...and, if it's the riding angle that makes your knees hurt, that extra 2 inches on the Can-Am Comfort seat made a BIG difference for me. ...or the Ultimate Tallboy seat with backrest, if you want a nice upgrade.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    they will help by keeping the joints warm, circulation but movement is the best. Floorboards give you a range of motion highway pegs let you straighten you knee more. Stretching and walking around when you stop will help a lot. We always do at gas stops or rest stops....

I have a 2014 now so the floor boards helped but.... I've had one knee replaced 2x and the other has had numerous surgeries, so I also added Lamonts new highway pegs that attach to the floor boards and those give me yet another option to move my legs around (I'm also 6'4" with long legs)

sometimes I wear rubber knee braces, haven't tried the 'circulation' socks but would think those could be useful on long trips

but as Chupaca said, in the end.... getting off the bike and walking around and stretching works best.... where ever you are going will still be there even after a few rest stops.....

Spyder Garage

The Ultimate Tall Boy seat really helped me. Put my knee's at less of an angle

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems like the highway pegs aren't any farther out than the rain gaurds. Any other advantage to them?
    Yup! The rain guards aren't designed to hold any weight... Make a mistake with them, and you'll be buying a replacement!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Floorboards and "pegs"

In Aug of 2011, when I got my 2011 RTSSM5, First thing I did was look around for the above items. Inspector Gadget had made some and pricing was very reasonable and looked adequate. Coming up on 3 years later, the originals are still doing the job. They are due for new tread surface, will order it soon. He also did my heel/toe shifter and a couple other things I can't even remember. 47,000 miles worth of wear and going strong. Not that others don't make quality accessories, don't misinterpret this post, but his products are well done. He is not a Spyder Lovers sponsor, but search it here and I'm sure you can find his web page.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gmcgarrity View Post
    iburproben

As far as far as the suggestion on "pegs", it depends on your knee pain.

My worst knee pain is on the side of my knee where I have lost whatever the doc said I lost there lol. W that said, the pegs actually make my knees feel worst if used too long.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I move my legs back and forth to the rain deflectors. That definitely helps. Still gets to my knees on long rides though.
    get Lamont's NBV peg brackets and pegs. Very easy to install, I did and I'm "wrench" challenged! If you keep using the rain deflectors, eventually you will break them...I know I did. And they are expensive.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Knees

I put highway pegs on and that helped some, then I took of the water wings so I can move my feet forward. that helped a lot. now I'm going to order the ultimate seat for the tall man, it moves you back one and a half inches. P.S. my feet don't get wet anymore than they did with them. in fact on my 2014 I saw no appreciable difference. hope this helps. pegs are from Lamonster.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also have the Ultimate Tall Bot seat with the Utopia backrest installed

the new Lamont floorboard pegs do go further forward than the air damns

since I can't stretch my legs out to sit on normal highway pegs what I did was get a couple of stubby started pegs and mounted them pointing inside of the peg brackets so when I use the highway pegs, my legs are right along the inside towards the hike

IMG_2384.jpg

pardon my toes.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lookerjdc; 06-30-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am planning on Lamont's new pegs that go on the floor boards. But I have short legs and want to be able to have them right above the front of the floor boards, and not outboard of them. My problem isn't my knees but my butt hurting from the position of my legs and pressure points on my thighs.

Spyder Garage

I stand up periodically while driving and that helps.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I am planning on Lamont's new pegs that go on the floor boards. But I have short legs and want to be able to have them right above the front of the floor boards, and not outboard of them. My problem isn't my knees but my butt hurting from the position of my legs and pressure points on my thighs.
    its really easy to adjust Lamonts new pegs (and would be even easier if you have someone that can position them while you are sitting on the bike).... lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jccjr50 View Post
    I stand up periodically while driving and that helps.
    Be super careful doing that. I had a friend get pulled over and ticketed for stunt riding for standing up to stretch. It was a MAJOR battle that lead him to court because it's, from what I'm told, a very serious offense.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lchain View Post
    I put highway pegs on and that helped some, then I took of the water wings so I can move my feet forward. that helped a lot. now I'm going to order the ultimate seat for the tall man, it moves you back one and a half inches. P.S. my feet don't get wet anymore than they did with them. in fact on my 2014 I saw no appreciable difference. hope this helps. pegs are from Lamonster.

by the way I ordered the seat today. I'll let you know how it feels after I install it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Be super careful doing that. I had a friend get pulled over and ticketed for stunt riding for standing up to stretch. It was a MAJOR battle that lead him to court because it's, from what I'm told, a very serious offense.

Really? Never heard that before, I'll have to ask around here. Being a military town they have tons of trouble here w/ motorcycles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I have already had one DVT and 5 Pulmonary embolisms. I wear ted-hose when I can, but I will gladly pay any stupid ticket to avoid a three week hospital stay and a fourth near-death experience.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............