Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question Check Transmission warning

Hi, I ride a 2011 RSS, SE5 I Just changed my oil at 12K. Used Castrol 4T racing oil, full synthetic. Took a ride to Flagstaff Sat and had several check transmission messages come on. I've never had this issue after an oil change. Any thoughts from you great guys. Thanx

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would be looking at your oil. Does it meet or exceed BRP specs? If not you need to change it again.

BRP out = BRP in

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

not a guru on oils but you have to make sure the oil you are using is for this type of engine meeting the specifications in your manual. If you have been using this oil and your levels are at or below full you should not have this warning. You should check to see what codes are coming up to help pin point some. Gear shift indicator, shift selenoid/actuator and clutch can cause this....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

We had this happen to us. Right after an oil change we got a check transmission code, numerous times, checked oil etc... That wasn't it. It ended up being the shift level on our SE5 it went bad causing the transmission error as it was having trouble sometimes going from fear to gear. Might want to have checked if it not the oil issue.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Givi Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kawakii View Post
    We had this happen to us. Right after an oil change we got a check transmission code, numerous times, checked oil etc... That wasn't it. It ended up being the shift level on our SE5 it went bad causing the transmission error as it was having trouble sometimes going from fear to gear. Might want to have checked if it not the oil issue.
    I have had this happen as well, but also check your oil level and make sure it has the correct ratings.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default check transmission warning

I'm using Castrol Power RS Racing 4T full synthetic. Will check level in a.m. Thanks, I knew ya'll would lead me in the right direction.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Check Transmission

I forgot to put this in my post , sorry, oil meets or exceeds API, SL, and JASO-2.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Can-Am Spyder 2012 RS SE5

My bike has been in the shop for 3 weeks with transmission problems. This is the 3rd transmission problem I have had. I only have 8,000 miles on my bike. I took bike in to dealer for oil and filter change before a trip out of state. 250 miles later lost my transmission outside of Page, AZ. Was in 4th gear and lost everything. Could not shift up or down. Bike acted like it was in neutral. Could only drift to side of the road.
    July 2012 at gas station, check transmission light went on and could not shift out of neutral. Sept 2013 stopped at red light, took of and bike would not let me shift out of 1st gear. Check transmission light came on again. Pulled over but the bike would not reset. Tried several times but it would not go out of 1st gear.
    I don't think that my current problem has anything to do with the oil change. I certainly hope the dealership knows what kind of oil to use.