Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default sts or st limited

Right now I have a 2012 rs se5 with 29,000 miles and I love it! It will be 2 in August And I'm am looking to trade it in for a 2014 sts or a limited but I have just one question. ....here it goes. With the limited it comes with a radio can you hear it at speed with a helmet on or with a louder pipe on? I love how the st feels like my rs but better...takes some of the pressure off my body.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say..!!

is the price worth it. I just hook up my mp3 to the helmet and have the music or switch to FM radio. How did you do it with the RS..?? Maybe someone will let you know that has the limited...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You get: zumo GPS, saddlebags, radio and then cosmetic things. I thought it was definitely worth going to the limited because the radio was a must. I can easily hear the radio with ear plugs in going 65mph down the road. I know my passenger can hear the radio because I can hear her singing along with the music. I haven't tried it with a helmet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default ear buds

With the rs some cheap ear buds work ok. Love the limited with all the storage and the stereo could be a perk if you can hear it. Lol.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We don't use the radio on our RT since we got the Sena bluetooth headsets. Now we stream our music from our smart phones. Plus we can talk bike to bike.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    Right now I have a 2012 rs se5 with 29,000 miles and I love it! It will be 2 in August And I'm am looking to trade it in for a 2014 sts or a limited but I have just one question. ....here it goes. With the limited it comes with a radio can you hear it at speed with a helmet on or with a louder pipe on? I love how the st feels like my rs but better...takes some of the pressure off my body.
    I have a 2013 ST-L. I use a full face helmet, a shoei rf-1100. i usually leave the visor open anywhere between half inch and an inch all the time. you can easily hear at speeds up to 90mph, beyond that, i close the visor and are more worried about the traffic than the radio. i love my limited, the saddlebags are useful and so is the gps. oh, and the heated handgrips as well.

i always go top of the line, whatever i do. but i personally felt it was worth it for the limited.

Spyder Garage

I would not make a trade just to upgrade the radio performance.

Seating position is another positive though.

I do note an improvement in radio on my 2014 RTS. I can actually hear and make out the words to songs at speed. Not on previous RT models.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I would not make a trade just to upgrade the radio performance.

Seating position is another positive though.

I do note an improvement in radio on my 2014 RTS. I can actually hear and make out the words to songs at speed. Not on previous RT models.
    He'd be trading to upgrade the radio EXISTENCE

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default sts or st limited

Same here GPS, and my music is from my phone to the helmet...the STS has better price also, good luck....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Limited.jpgGo with the LIMITED!! You won't regret it. I can hear the radio with no problem at 80MPH. Now at that speed your dealing with wind and traffic noise and possibly exhaust noise, but overall, the radio is surprisingly loud and clear. Hope that helps. I thoroughly enjoy my LIMITED. I was contemplating on the STS as well, but the extra perks of the LIMITED was worth it to me.
    Last edited by mellowcmb; 06-11-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: adding pic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The BRP radio can be heard loud and clear; even with a full-face helmet in the way!
    Adding a pipe to the equation:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up ST Limited

You also get the chrome bits, if you're into that sort of thing. Heated grips.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default it's more then the radio

The radio is the only thing I do not know about. I love the heated grips I ride all year and the cruise and GPS and more storage and better shocks then the rs. The bars are different and I don't think my ram mounts will work so that is why I'm torn sts or limited. Ether way I go I get a great ride! !!

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

The plus side to the ST-S is that it's available in Circuit Yellow and it doesn't have hideous chrome wheels, however, the Ltd is great value for money. I'd have bought the Ltd if I'd been made aware of the £2,500 offered by BRP! I'm sure I could've lost the wheels somewhere. Now, if I wanted to upgrade to Ltd spec would cost me a fortune!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Chrome

There are plenty of ways to get rid of the chrome that comes as standard on the ST-L, I didn't like it on mine so got the parts powder coated.
    IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0178.jpgIMG_0188.jpg

Spyder Garage

I bought an ST-S and just added those extras that I wanted. I added saddle bags and a OEM radio. Found the best prices. Didn't want all the crome on a ST L as love the look of the black rims. Didn't need the GPS.

Spyder Garage

Consider where you will be riding also. On some of our rides, you would be lucky to get more than one or two radio stations tuned in. Sometimes no reception for miles.

Spyder Garage

Default ST-S

I got the ST-S and Just Had them Add the Radio At perches.... Worked For me...And Im with the others I don't like all the Chrome! I like it blacked out! Just Me....

Spyder Garage

I have the ST LTD and I love it. I just found out that you can download tunes and put the sim card in your GPS. The sound is great and if you don't like something you can just go to the next song. The sound is even better coming through the speakers and the gps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
    I have the ST LTD and I love it. I just found out that you can download tunes and put the sim card in your GPS. The sound is great and if you don't like something you can just go to the next song. The sound is even better coming through the speakers and the gps.
    Can you leave the GPS so that it always displays the controls for the songs?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default update

Ended up getting a 14 sts with a radio. We picked it up last Tuesday and I've put 1000 miles on it. The gas mileage is great over 33 mpg so far!! Message_1407256594697.jpg

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up sts or sts limited??

When I bought mine I got the sts se5 and also got the radio and fog lights then he threw in the liner for the frunk when I'm riding I can hear the radio at 60 mph , then I got the two brothers black carbon fiber double exhaust,sport fender man this thing is sweeeeeet now. Hope that helps

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If the STS LTD would have had the 1330, I would have bought it over my RT, which has a radio, as did my last RT. I had/have no problems hearing the radio, and my last RT has a Yosh installed. Having said that, I would never consider a full face helmet, so I can't answer that part of the equation. In my opinion the bags alone are worth the entry price, then add the radio, and GPS - that's $3,000 in farkles, and the current prices are hard to beat.

Keep in mind that the STS will probably have the 1330 for 2015, or so says my dealer.