Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin 660 set-up

First of all let me say that the 660 is a well thought out device if properly understood and set-up. I always tried to program it just before a ride and never achieved the results I was looking for and the 660 capable of delivering.

Here is what I accomplished today

• The 660 will pair (connect) to all (most?) bluetooth helmet headsets
    • The 660 will pair (connect) to all (most?) Smart Phones
    • The 660 is a MP3 player. it will store in several formats and play in STERIO through the wireless headset
    • The 660 will also store and play books and other media.
    • All the above is handled through the Garman
    • When you hook the device to a computer I got a free map up-date on a 2 year old unit, 2012 RTL
    • Also when hooked to the computer Garman downloaded a program called Base Camp which allows you to program trips and share the file with others.

Can't wait to get out and ride. Will it please stop SNOWING.

I assume that if the bluetooth helmet head set is not hooked up the sound will come out of the crappy speakers.

I do not have any of the BRP entertainment stuff or CB so I do not understand it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    First of all let me say that the 660 is a well thought out device if properly understood and set-up. I always tried to program it just before a ride and never achieved the results I was looking for and the 660 capable of delivering.

• The 660 is a MP3 player. it will store in several formats and play in STERIO through the wireless headset
    • When you hook the device to a computer I got a free map up-date on a 2 year old unit, 2012 RTL
    • Also when hooked to the computer Garman downloaded a program called Base Camp which allows you to program trips and share the file with others.

I assume that if the bluetooth helmet head set is not hooked up the sound will come out of the crappy speakers.

I do not have any of the BRP entertainment stuff or CB so I do not understand it.
    It looks like you're getting it figured out.
    Just a warning it will not play stereo through your crappy speakers. If I remember correctly it plays the left channel through all speakers and the right channel is gone.
    You can also check out websites like POI Factory and others and load Points Of Interest (POI) for places you may be interested in into your 660.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin 660 and Micro SD card

Purchased a 16gb Micro SDHC card to install in the Garmin. WOW! the Garmin will only accept the old (in computer terms) SD format, with a 2gb limit. Cannot find any in the stores as they are all the SDHC format. On to Amazon.com. Yep, they got them, as low as .09 each. Think I'll order a dozen.

Spyder Garage

Purchased a 16gb Micro SDHC card to install in the Garmin. WOW! the Garmin will only accept the old (in computer terms) SD format, with a 2gb limit. Cannot find any in the stores as they are all the SDHC format. On to Amazon.com. Yep, they got them, as low as .09 each. Think I'll order a dozen.
    Don't know where you got that information from but the maximum size micro SD card for the Garmin 660 is 8GB as listed on the Garmin web site. That's what is in mine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Don't know where you got that information from but the maximum size micro SD card for the Garmin 660 is 8GB as listed on the Garmin web site. That's what is in mine.
    Interesting, so my issue is the size of the micro SD Card 8GB vrs. 16GB. Searched all through the owners manual and not a word on the size limitation.

Thanks for the help, will run out and get one as soon as the snow stops and I clear the drive. (again)

Spyder Garage

Interesting, so my issue is the size of the micro SD Card 8GB vrs. 16GB. Searched all through the owners manual and not a word on the size limitation.

Thanks for the help, will run out and get one as soon as the snow stops and I clear the drive. (again)
    Copied from the Garmin site.

2Using an SD card size larger than 8GB is not supported for these devices. However, using one will not harm the device but it may or may not work. Also, Garmin supports all speed ratings (including unmarked cards).

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

LQQk at the serial number for your Garmin 660 and other Garmin products, if there is a LM in the serial number you have Life time Map updates free.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by condorflysu View Post
    LQQk at the serial number for your Garmin 660 and other Garmin products, if there is a LM in the serial number you have Life time Map updates free.
    There is no "LM" in the serial number. This unit came with the 2012 RTL we purchased used in June 2013. It was recycled through the original selling dealer with 610 miles on it. I hooked the 660 to my computer in July of 2013 and was able to register it. The original owner must not have. At that time I tried to do a map up date and was directed to the page where they sell map upgrades. I backed off and logged off. The other day I hooked back up to the computer and the Garmin site and they informed me that the maps need an up grade and they did it for free. We will see what happens next year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is no "LM" in the serial number. This unit came with the 2012 RTL we purchased used in June 2013. It was recycled through the original selling dealer with 610 miles on it. I hooked the 660 to my computer in July of 2013 and was able to register it. The original owner must not have. At that time I tried to do a map up date and was directed to the page where they sell map upgrades. I backed off and logged off. The other day I hooked back up to the computer and the Garmin site and they informed me that the maps need an up grade and they did it for free. We will see what happens next year.
    Garmin updates their maps quarterly.

Spyder Garage

Originally you had 60 days to get one free map upgrade from the first time it acquired a satellite lock. Other folks are reporting the same thing as you and that you are now receiving free map updates and they could not before. Dang and I bought the lifetime maps. There has been a lot of complaining about lifetime maps not coming with our 660. I wonder if BRP made a deal to upgrade all their Garmins.

OK folks, if you did not by the lifetime maps for Can-am Garmin 660 GPS plug them and find out if yours has been upgraded too!!!

For added incentive there has been a new map released since I checked last week.
    Last edited by billybovine; 02-05-2014 at 09:11 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013

The update is for 2013. There is a 2014.40 update but that requires money.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just checked the Map Info and it has the CN North America NT 2014.30 Well, I'll take it. Like I said in a previous post, we will see what happens later this year when it gets connected again. It also has the 2014.30 3D maps.

I would advise everyone with the BRP provided Garmin 660 to log it in to your computer and Garmin.com and see if you get the updates for free. Let us know the results.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default New Up-Date

After the last post I realized I did not have the latest map up-date. So on the other computer I plugged in the Garmin 660 and opened the downloaded version of "Garmin Express" BINGO it indicated a new map up-date was available. So... it is presently downloading the latest maps. FREE. A three hour download.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did get one update free then I had to purchase one update or the better lifetime maps to get the next update.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk