Thread: Gas Cap

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Cap

I have had my RS for a month now and I am loving it!

I do have two questions maybe someone can reassure me about.

1. Went for a drive Saturday and stopped to put gas in. As I picked up the gas cap to put it back on after filling up, I noticed something rattling in it. So I shook it a little bit and two small plastic pieces fell out of the gas cap onto the ground. I could still hear some more rattling so I shook it some more. I ended up with about 10 small plastic pieces falling out of the gas cap. They looked like they had been been broken off of something hard plastic. They were each kind of triangular shaped and about 3 cm. I have a little over 300 miles so far so I am not close to my first 600 mile checkup. Should I call the dealer? The cap has never been dropped. I would hope none of those pieces could have ended up in my tank. I kept the pieces to show the dealer when I go.

2. My brakess are squeaking a bit still. I assume that is something that will occur during the break-in time and nothing to worry about. It's not constant.

Thanks for in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by Ktowngal; 05-15-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    2014 RS , White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes, you should get it to the dealer. There is at least one thread on the forum about a ryder not being able to get his cap off due to breakage within the cap.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

looks like the ratchetings system shattered. If you can get it on and off without trouble you can wait for your service otherwise take the cap and pieces to your dealer and have them get you a new one. There have been some problems with these new caps. The brakes should clear up you could clean the disks do a little hard braking in case they are glazing a bit. Welcome to the roadster world your on your way to tons of fun and miles of smiles..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As others have said, the brakes are normal.

Your gas cap is shot and you need a new one. Personally, I don't make the cap click when I tighten it. I just snug it to right before the click and have no issues. Honestly, the caps are pretty junky and are known for being problematic.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Your gas cap is shot and you need a new one. Personally, I don't make the cap click when I tighten it. I just snug it to right before the click and have no issues. Honestly, the caps are pretty junky and are known for being problematic.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I do the same, but is there anyone who makes a better cap or are you stuck with the BRP one?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    I do the same, but is there anyone who makes a better cap or are you stuck with the BRP one?
    I was wondering the same thing. Will a universal cap from the auto store work?

Spyder Garage

After hearing from everyone here, my husband called the dealership. They said they have never had the problem before but they went right ahead and ordered a new gas cap. I will try another one since they should be paying for it. I guess I will be really gentle when putting the cap on after that!
    Thank you so much for the help.
    2014 RS , White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi,
    I'm the guy that had the problem with not being able to remove the gas cap. You definitely have made the right decision. good luck with your next cap. SO FAR mine remains Ok but we'll see how it is after several fill-ups.

Spyder Garage

Mines stuck a couple of times and it's taken me a couple of minutes to loosen off. Both times after a long run with the last bit in city traffic so my guess was heat/hot fuel issue (cap not venting properly?). I now tighten it very gingerly and so far no further problems but I'm going to sort out a replacement.

For those who are unaware the fuel caps on the RS/GS where replaced under recall about 18 months ago - there was a fire risk with the old ones. Mine is one of the new ones and it definitely seems top be poorly manufactured so I'm not surprised to hear others have had issues.

I did consider getting an after market one but decided not to because of this recall - as it does seem to be a weak point Can-Am would probably be all to ready to blame the 3rd party fuel cap if there was an issue.