Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS Recommendations

Is there a GPS similar in function to the high $$$$ Garmin Nuvi 600 series GPS's. I know it won't be water proof but thats not a problem for me as I'm not water proof either and tend to cover up when I see/smell rain.

What I'd like be able to do is plan my trip on my computer (that thing with a huge monitor and a keyboard and mouse) and download it to the GPS. Then pick the days ride from a list in the GPS.

Also I'd like Blue Tooth connection to my Sena SMH-10 so I don't have to even look at it.

Thanks
    JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

the model # but if you get the auto version it will be way cheaper. I use the same gps I have in my car and have even been the rain a time or two witg no problems but don't use it that much. Seeing as every back road leads to a freeway somewhere we just ryde till we find one. Use it only to find addresses...check the features on garmin web site then shop ebay...good luck...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I installed a Garmin 50LM on my wife's RTS, she has a 1qt freezer bag on hand in case of rain.

Steve (Shooter)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use my iPhone using an app
    called GPS Drive it works the same
    as a Garman even has the same voice
    Dave

QUOTE=jthornton;808138]Is there a GPS similar in function to the high $$$$ Garmin Nuvi 600 series GPS's. I know it won't be water proof but thats not a problem for me as I'm not water proof either and tend to cover up when I see/smell rain.

What I'd like be able to do is plan my trip on my computer (that thing with a huge monitor and a keyboard and mouse) and download it to the GPS. Then pick the days ride from a list in the GPS.

Also I'd like Blue Tooth connection to my Sena SMH-10 so I don't have to even look at it.

Thanks
    JT[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

I wonder if my Android has a GPS app like that?

I'll have to check that out.

JT

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I wonder if my Android has a GPS app like that?
    Sygic. That's what I've been using on my Samsung tablet for a year now. I really like it. Only about $30 one time with continuing updates. They use Tom Tom maps. There is a lot of configurability in the program. www.sygic.com/en. They offer a seven day full program free trial. I tried a couple of others briefly but IMO they are no match. One was the program Garmin bought out, but don't recall the name. I had to use a crack serial to try it out.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Garmin 3490LMT blue tooth and other features. I went to the factory store and bought a remanufactured for about 135.00 bucks. It will work for me

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Nuvi 2557 LMT + ziplock bag to make waterproof!!!

$150 at GPS city....lifetime maps, etc. etc. etc. And I know where you can get a real neat holder bar!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a look for a used 765t. Like the sumo but not water proof and unlike the sumo has lifetime traffic and many other features.
    You can usually pick one up for lass than $100 on eBay. The t models are some of the only non- motorcycle GPS that support pairing the Bluetooth helmets.

See my GPS video as I show it and talk about it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YES ON THIS

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I installed a Garmin 50LM on my wife's RTS, she has a 1qt freezer bag on hand in case of rain.

Steve (Shooter)
    ...I agree with shooter.................But I just triple wrapped mine with Plastic wrap ( Saran wrap etc. )........I bought a Mtc.Handle bar type clamp on E-bay for $2.50 delivered and used the Holder provided by Garmin and I'm very satisfied with this set-up................with the plastic wrap it's almost impossible to tell it's over the screen, plus it's cheap to re-place .........JMHO...Mike

Spyder Garage

Finding a cheap GPS isn't a challenge; Garmin, iPhone, Android, etc... The problem is that none of these are bright enough in 100% sunlight. There are only a few GPS screens that are daylight readable (Garmin Zumo, Lowrance iWay, ???), but I don't know of any Smart Phone screens that are. The manufacturers keep making the screens bigger (which isn't a bad thing), but I'm still waiting on a good selection of screens that are daylight readable. Until then, I'll continue to struggle with my Android Phone (Samsung Note II), which has a big enough screen; just not nearly bright enough.

Spyder Garage

TomTom Rider is what I use Little over $300

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Garmin I bought with Bluetooth turned out to be non-compatible with my communication headset. Just something to keep in mind.
    i do, however, use the Harley Davidson Ride Planner and easily transfer it to my Garmin.

Good luck!
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up TomTom in the rain.

I use a TomTom XL 350TM 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator (Lifetime Traffic and Maps Edition) and I have it in a RAM Mount AQUA BOX Medium Wide. Used it many times in the rain on my 2011 RS-S SE5.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    Finding a cheap GPS isn't a challenge; Garmin, iPhone, Android, etc... The problem is that none of these are bright enough in 100% sunlight. There are only a few GPS screens that are daylight readable (Garmin Zumo, Lowrance iWay, ???), but I don't know of any Smart Phone screens that are. The manufacturers keep making the screens bigger (which isn't a bad thing), but I'm still waiting on a good selection of screens that are daylight readable. Until then, I'll continue to struggle with my Android Phone (Samsung Note II), which has a big enough screen; just not nearly bright enough.
    I have to agree. I've tried automotive quality gps's over the years on motorcycles and boats and it is extremely difficult to see anything in bright sunlight. It seems the sun heats the screen up and sometimes cause's it to turn black. My iphone is the same in bright sunlight after a short time. I've had a zumo 450 and now a 660. The 450 was somewhat difficult to see with polarized sunglasses. The 660 can be seen clearly with polarized sunglasses. Another quality of the motorcycle mount gps's is the ability to take it off with the click of a button .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    $150 at GPS city....lifetime maps, etc. etc. etc. And I know where you can get a real neat holder bar!!!!!
    You have two more places left on your Dash Mount... have you figured out what you will mount there?

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Take a look for a used 765t. Like the sumo but not water proof and unlike the sumo has lifetime traffic and many other features.
    You can usually pick one up for lass than $100 on eBay. The t models are some of the only non- motorcycle GPS that support pairing the Bluetooth helmets.

Bob
    That's some good information about pairing with the Sena. I'll have to look for some.

JT

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS glare and sunshine

Take a look at post #21 in this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...BRP-GPS-Part-1

Two things that help significantly with glare and sunshine that I did. First, and the greatest help, is to put a non-glare screen protector on your GPS. You can find screen protectors almost anywhere, but non-glare versions aren't as common as the shiny ones. You don't have to buy one made specifically for your device, just find one that's large enough and cut it fit. It does reduce the clarity of the screen a little bit, but the trade-off is well worth it. The second thing is the sunshade which I made. I'm not sure it helps as a shade as much as it helps to keep rain off the GPS. I rode through hard rain last fall with it on my Goldwing and only got drops of water on the screen. The GW windshield might have protected it more than the RT windshield will. I'm sure I'll find out eventually!

Another factor to consider in why the GPS can be hard to see in the sun. Make sure that whatever outerwear you have on isn't light colored and reflecting off the screen. In the thread above you'll see I originally installed my tablet GPS on the handlebar. The reflection of my white wind breaker washed out the screen so I moved it to the dash.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 05-12-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your looking at Garmin's here is a list of Garmin GPS' that will pair with BT headsets (Sena).

Below is a list of Garmin devices that can be paired with a Bluetooth headset:
    ◦StreetPilot 2820
    ◦nuvi 765T
    ◦nuvi 775T
    ◦nuvi 785T
    ◦zumo 2201
    ◦zumo 3501
    ◦zumo 3902
    ◦zumo 500
    ◦zumo 550
    ◦zumo 5903
    ◦zumo 660
    ◦zumo 665
    ◦BMW zumo
    ◦BMW Motorrad Navigator III
    ◦BMW Motorrad Navigator IV
    ◦BMW Motorrad Navigator V
    ◦Harley-Davidson zumo

1The zumo 220 and zumo 350 do not have the ability to pair to a Bluetooth-enabled phone and will only pair to a Bluetooth headset or helmet.

2The zumo 390 must be paired with a headset or helmet and a phone.

3The zumo 590 can be paired with two wireless headsets at a time. Only one headset can receive navigation prompts and phone calls. Both headsets can be used for multimedia audio.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    The Garmin I bought with Bluetooth turned out to be non-compatible with my communication headset. Just something to keep in mind. i do, however, use the Harley Davidson Ride Planner and easily transfer it to my Garmin. Good luck!
    Does the ride planner transfer via USB? JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Does the ride planner transfer via USB? JT
    Yes. I just connect the GPS to the computer and Sync the route to the GPS.

I failed to say in my earlier post, I am using a NUVI 1490LMT and Scala Rider Teamset Pro.
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob
    This is what I have too and it works great. Keep a baggy handy for rain.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob
    The "t" only means the Nav has a traffic receiver.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The "t" only means the Nav has a traffic receiver.

Yes you are correct!

But for some reason Garmin decided on the T models to also allow it to connect to BT headsets like the Zumo does... GO FIGURE....

In my opinion,., the 765T, 775T and 785T are really Zumo's but made for cars with more features added! The difference is the casing that makes the Zumo water proof and MANY MANY will argue that it is not really water proof anyway! (please read posts here about the Zumo's failing in heavy rain!).

I am not trying to blow smoke up anyone's rear end here. I have owned a few car GPS' but this 775T I have is perfect for the Spyder UNTIL you get wet.... But that is solved in many ways.... and again... the Zumo's are not perfect anyway when it comes to water problems.

What's funny is even the newest models no longer have the features these old 7X5T's have!

- Broadcast sounds over a FM radio channel! Zumo's can't do that. Personally I love this choice so the GPS does not interrupt what I am listening to unless I want it to.
    - Bind to BT headset!
    - Bind to the SM10 media streamer.
    - Bind to a phone in two different ways! Music or phone or BOTH!
    - Traffic data! LIFETIME! In my area it is balls on accurate!
    - More things I don't even remember!

Bottom line this GPS gives you many many ways to do what you want to do! I have yet to meet another GPS like it.

Garmin does not make these anymore so I am not PIMPING IT.... You have to now buy them used or new (old stock). Ashame but it is the most feature rich GPS in my opinion.... And other than not being water proof... perfect for a cycle due to it's many ways of communicating with you!

My .000002 cents!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-12-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes you are correct!

But for some reason Garmin decided on the T models to also allow it to connect to BT headsets like the Zumo does... GO FIGURE....

In my opinion,., the 765T, 775T and 785T are really Zumo's but made for cars with more features added! The difference is the casing that makes the Zumo water proof and MANY MANY will argue that it is not really water proof anyway! (please read posts here about the Zumo's failing in heavy rain!).

I am not trying to blow smoke up anyone's rear end here. I have owned a few car GPS' but this 775T I have is perfect for the Spyder UNTIL you get wet.... But that is solved in many ways.... and again... the Zumo's are not perfect anyway when it comes to water problems.

What's funny is even the newest models no longer have the features these old 7X5T's have!

- Broadcast sounds over a FM radio channel! Zumo's can't do that. Personally I love this choice so the GPS does not interrupt what I am listening to unless I want it to.
    - Bind to BT headset!
    - Bind to the SM10 media streamer.
    - Bind to a phone in two different ways! Music or phone or BOTH!
    - Traffic data! LIFETIME! In my area it is balls on accurate!
    - More things I don't even remember!

Bottom line this GPS gives you many many ways to do what you want to do! I have yet to meet another GPS like it.

Garmin does not make these anymore so I am not PIMPING IT.... You have to now buy them used or new (old stock). Ashame but it is the most feature rich GPS in my opinion.... And other than not being water proof... perfect for a cycle due to it's many ways of communicating with you!

My .000002 cents!

Bob
    I hear ya, the older models had some nice features built in. Seems like they removed some of the good features to try to push people to buy the more expensive model.

I run a 50lm and it isnt connected to anything bluetooth, just stays silent. However, the thing has been rained on multiple times and just keeps on rolling....haha