Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Come On BRP...Really

New 14 RT is awesome. Can't say the same about the OEM rear tire. Got 6146 miles on my RT -L and this what my rear tire looks like. No burn outs, no jack rabbit starts, just "normal" operation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default BRP

On the '14's they eliminated the side and rear travel bags and the electric trunk switch. Then they put on a rear tire that won't hold up in mileage compared to previous years. Then to top it all off, they charged more retail than in previous years for the RT-L. Cutting corners for the company bottom line and shareholders. Not being critical, just an observation.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    New 14 RT is awesome. Can't say the same about the OEM rear tire. Got 6146 miles on my RT -L and this what my rear tire looks like. No burn outs, no jack rabbit starts, just "normal" operation.
    Wow that's low mileage for tire to wear like that. Cruzer Joe posted a thread recently about his rear tire wear with similar mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfuspyder View Post
    I went through 2 recommended tires on the rear of my 2012 RT in less than 18,000 miles, using a car tire now, same dimensions, but it rides flat across the entire surface. I have over 6,000 miles on it now, no noticeable wear.
    Which brand, model and size tire are you currently using?
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfuspyder View Post
    I went through 2 recommended tires on the rear of my 2012 RT in less than 18,000 miles, using a car tire now, same dimensions, but it rides flat across the entire surface. I have over 6,000 miles on it now, no noticeable wear.
    I also had a car tire (Nitto NT450) installed on my 2012 RT-L as well. OEM tire had about 10000 miles on it and probably another 2000 miles of life left when I swapped it out for a car tire before going to SF last year. Traded my 12 RT with 26,636 miles on odometer and the car tire had a lot of tread left on it.

What brand of car tire are you using?
    Last edited by SpyRyd; 05-11-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow Shortened tire life

Common denominator to faster tire wear would be how gentle, or not so gentle, the throttle is rolled on. 40% more torque is a substantial change. jmo

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire Wear

I also have a lot of wear on my 13 RT ltd, and I wonder if it's partly due to riding down the middle of the lane where there is a lot of oil and dust letting it slip more.

My 2 cents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is the pic of my rear tire in the proper orientation .
    Attached Images Attached Images

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default To Much

In looking at the photo I would say you have been running to much air.
    The center of the tire is worn out to the bars the sides are not... good sign
    of over inflation.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Here is a picture of mine with 6700 miles. Getting the new Arachnid tire put on tomorrow.

2014 Rear Tire with 6700 miles.jpg
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

So far dealers selling these tires(Arachnid) are not responding to requests for comparison's to the Kenda tire. It's odd that the Arachnid copied the same tread pattern isn't it? Hope they give better mileage. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've 8500 on mine and it looks ready for a new one too. Arachnid will be my purchase. When you put 25000 miles on in a year 8000 is unacceptable
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    On the '14's they eliminated the side and rear travel bags and the electric trunk switch. Then they put on a rear tire that won't hold up in mileage compared to previous years. Then to top it all off, they charged more retail than in previous years for the RT-L. Cutting corners for the company bottom line and shareholders. Not being critical, just an observation.

Did you forget that this one has a new engine and transmission and a better seat (that will accept a factory Backrest), you must compare apples to apples, etc.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    The rear tires wear like that irregardless of tire pressure.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    In looking at the photo I would say you have been running to much air.
    The center of the tire is worn out to the bars the sides are not... good sign
    of over inflation.
    Dave
    28 PSI in the rear. I think that is within spec of what is recommended in the owner's manual.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I've 8500 on mine and it looks ready for a new one too. Arachnid will be my purchase. When you put 25000 miles on in a year 8000 is unacceptable
    Ann, have you come across any specs on the Arachnid tire? Can't even find it on the Vee Rubber website. I'd like to go with the Arachnid also but would like to see it's various ratings. Also would be interested hearing from folks who have put more than a couple thousand miles on this tire.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Still good..!!

Here is the pic of my rear tire in the proper orientation .
    If thats what it looks like the tire is not worn out yet. Make sure you are looking in the right place for wear.
    20140408_173906.jpg find the triangle on the side and check on that spot...my center line is gone and still have a ways to go on the tread limit mark...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If thats what it looks like the tire is not worn out yet. Make sure you are looking in the right place for wear.
    20140408_173906.jpg find the triangle on the side and check on that spot...my center line is gone and still have a ways to go on the tread limit mark...
    Yep, I know where to look for the wear bars. Unfortunately the pic I posted shows the water block bars (think that is what they are called) in the center of the pic. The tread depth wear bars are shown a little further down towards the pavement. You're right, I do have a few more miles to go before my OEM rear tire is totally worn out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll see what info I can get on the Arachnid tire. Have any of you noticed burning rubber smell?
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 05-11-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Damn smart phone
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If this is the worst possible stuff that you can ind about the new RT;
    Trade with somebody, sho's fought the "Battle Of 2013"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Rolo
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Red face Quality Control

Quote Originally Posted by Ratigan_Roger View Post
    I did notice that the “new” Khumo was made in China while the original was made in South Korea.
    Probably a distinction without difference.
    Designed and assembled in Canada with Chinadian parts.

Value engineering?

Sourcing and manufacturing parts abroad is todays norm.Understood. But, having a company man(BRP employ) in house to oversee production and implement an acceptable quality control standard should go hand and glove. Until a manufacturer understands and consistantly meets certain standards. But then, under those circumstances it might be more cost effective to purchase from a mfg. with a solid track record already.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-11-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If this is the worst possible stuff that you can ind about the new RT;
    Trade with somebody, sho's fought the "Battle Of 2013"...
    Huh? I think most if not all the 14 RT owners love their new ryde. I know I do. That doesn't mean we can't complain about a few things we don't like e.g., poor rear tire life, burning rubber smell, etc.

Are you suggesting we not mention any unfavorable "stuff" about the 14 RT. Even one of the biggest 14RT cheerleaders (I won't mention his name but his initials are J O E) voiced his displeasure with the life of his rear tire. He just won't tell us what he is having installed in place of the OEM tire.

Come on Bob, take off your rose colored glasses.
    Last edited by SpyRyd; 05-12-2014 at 04:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

I am getting close to needing a new rear tire for my RTS. I only have 3800 miles on my rear tire.

I am interested in the Arachnid tires. It would be nice if the Vender for Arachnid tires on this website would at least
    post a little more Info on these tires other than a Picture of a pile of tires.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Huh? I think most if not all the 14 RT owners love their new ryde. I know I do. That doesn't mean we can't complain about a few things we don't like e.g., poor rear tire life, burning rubber smell, etc.

Are you suggesting we not mention any unfavorable "stuff" about the 14 RT. Even one of the biggest 14RT cheerleaders (I won't mention his name but his initials are J O E) voiced his displeasure with the life of his rear tire. He just won't tell us what he is having installed in place of the OEM tire.

Come on Bob, take off your rise colored glasses.
    If I'm gonna bitch; I save it for something worthwhile... You can look at it this way; you get to replace that Kenda a bit quicker; that's all!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black