Thread: Clutch Chatter

Spyder Garage

Default Clutch Chatter

I know this has been the subject of threads in the past. Can anyone give me a definitive update regarding clutch chatter? I have a 2013 ST with the semi auto trans. It has 3,000 miles on it and has developed clutch chatter when cold, and also the shifts are a bit soft. When the bike warms up, all is ok. My dealer says the belt may be slipping when when it is cold. Really? I am not buying it.
    Thanks for any definitive updates.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by claychaser View Post
    I know this has been the subject of threads in the past. Can anyone give me a definitive update regarding clutch chatter? I have a 2013 ST with the semi auto trans. It has 3,000 miles on it and has developed clutch chatter when cold, and also the shifts are a bit soft. When the bike warms up, all is ok. My dealer says the belt may be slipping when when it is cold. Really? I am not buying it.
    Thanks for any definitive updates.
    There is only one belt on the Spyder, the drive belt to the rear wheel. Its a cog drive type belt. If it EVER slipped, you would know about it in no uncertain terms. Has nothing to do with temp. Your dealer is doing what most BRP service departments do after the sale. They are blowing you off.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

Check oil level, don't know what oil you are using or when it was changed. If engines are put up hot oil drains away fast a little longer on warmup and a slow start will help the oil get to all corners. Things to try...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

On my 13 the chatter spring was bad in the clutch.also have done the new software up date for the 13 will stop that from doing the chatter dance?

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Check out the link below.....my ST clattered and shook like crazy......when I needed a rear tire....Mark ordered the tire....and when he was ready to install he went to turn the wheel bearings....they would not turn....this is what he did and all is good....others have done thisand good results

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...at-start-fixed!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Check out the link below.....my ST clattered and shook like crazy......when I needed a rear tire....Mark ordered the tire....and when he was ready to install he went to turn the wheel bearings....they would not turn....this is what he did and all is good....others have done thisand good results

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...at-start-fixed!
    Called a good dealer, Rob's Performance Motor Sports in Johnson Creek Wisconsin and the tech said that is kinda normal. The oil is cold and has a hard time circulating through the clutch system, which sounds right, because when it warms up its ok. He said test it out by warming up the Spyder up first and it should be ok. He volunteered if that does not work, bring it in and they will dig deeper.
    A Big shout out to Rob's, Johnson Creek Wisconsin!!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

my ST started clattering and shaking again.....BRP techs at Spyderfest worked on it twice....final decision...they do not know a fix...but it is a priority of BRP to find a fix....I will see the techs at Durango....

seems like some things help...slow down the shaking...but then it comes back...crazy

Spyder Garage

Flamingobabe,

That bike of yours has to be THE biggest lemon from BRP. I think that they should give you a brand new ST-L and burn that one.