Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

I manage our family business. We have a car, truck and trailer service shop in Long Island, NY.

I agree with pretty much every post here. When I purchase a new vehicle, or almost any vehicle I buy I always install new tires or a brand tire that I know is great. For example, I recently purchased an Infiniti Q50 that comes with run-flat tires from the factory. They are $400 a piece, ride extremely stiff and somewhat noisy (not saying all run-flats). I swapped them out for Continental DWS, the car drives completely different and still handles awesome. I also have a 14' Grand Cherokee that I cured a constant vibration with changing tires.. on and on. Other then the fact that the tires must cost the manufacturers less money to use inexpensive tires, I really dont understand it. A different tire can completely change the driving characteristics of a vehicle.

We have customers with trailers that install car tires then they wear out or blow out prematurely. Tractor trailer tires are different then the tires on the rig. Sidewalls are stiffer on all trailer tires.

I also agree that its personal preference.

I am going to email our main tire warehouse and try to get some good information for everyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    In PA since the Spyder is classified as a Motorcycle, it technically has to have Motorcycle tires in order to pass state inspection.
    This is the first I have heard of this in any state. Could you please send me where that is stated by regulation or law. Though I am not a spyder owner, I am very interested in the use of CT on Motorcycles.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I need to replace the crap kenda rear tire on my 2014 RTS that only has 6700 miles on it. What brand and size is everyone using?
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    I need to replace the crap kenda rear tire on my 2014 RTS that only has 6700 miles on it. What brand and size is everyone using?
    You might want to try a different thread. This thread only looks for people who used car tires and then went back to motorcycle tires...so you might not get good info here...just a thought.

Spyder Garage

Default Tires....a.g.a.i.n

Khumo or Falken. 225/50-R15.
    Last edited by tigerdr; 05-07-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Some people swear that car tires on Spyders are better. Some people shout that car tires on Spyders are less safe. The discussions go round-and-round.

I do not want to start another round of this never-ending topic.

I read lots of posts in which the poster says they LOVED the improvement of car tires over motorcycle tires. I have not seen any posts in which the poster finds that they disliked car tires on the Spyder. So, my question is: If you had put car tires on your Spyder then changed back to motorcycle tires, please let me know. Please also let me know why you changed back, and the next time you need tires which kind (car or motorcycle) will you use.

I am not interested in a discussion of brands. I am interested in hearing from any of you who had car tires and replaced them with motorcycle tires...
    Dan! i successfully ran car tires on my 2012 RT with the 14" fronts, after problems getting a "round" Kenda that would balance and not be out of rouund! However my new 2014 with the 15" tires has been a different story. After the dealer replaced 2 out of round 15" kendas, I went on the hunt for a suitable 15" car tire 165/55R15. The only thing available is the Federal EVO 595. The tires fit ok; however their rating is "V" (150 mph), giving them a very stiff sidewall and a very hard ride. Now I'm considering trying another set of the factory Kendas, for lack of anything else. I think they would be fine, if I can just get a set that are not "out of round" and balance ok. The 14" car tires on the 2012 and earlier are all rated "T" or "H" (118mph or 130 mph" and have a much softer sidewall than the new Federal 15" tire, and the ride and handing was ok on my 2012. Can't take the "very hard" ride of the new Federal, so back to the factory Kenda's for now, or until we have another choice of 15' TIRE SIZE (Maybe from Arachnid) before long. JMHO
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Spyder Garage

Default NO COMMENT

NO COMMENT....

it's all been said b4......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm on my second car tire for the rear and about to go car tires in the front.

I won't be going back to stock. The car tires have been better wearing, but specifically the one I have on the rear now blows away the stock rear in dry, wet, and standing water traction.

I have stayed with the stock fronts until now because they have generally performed pretty well when new, but half worn they start to hydroplane in standing water. After chasing another spyder in a downpour that had some car fronts, I was convinced to change the fronts too.

There are some that will say that the stocks are the safest choice, but for me the tires with the best traction in all conditions are what equate to safety... and tread wear does figure into that. Tread wear isn't about saving money for me either, but about how long that tire will continue to perform well.
    Last edited by WackyDan; 05-07-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stang678 View Post
    I manage our family business. We have a car, truck and trailer service shop in Long Island, NY.

I agree with pretty much every post here. When I purchase a new vehicle, or almost any vehicle I buy I always install new tires or a brand tire that I know is great. For example, I recently purchased an Infiniti Q50 that comes with run-flat tires from the factory. They are $400 a piece, ride extremely stiff and somewhat noisy (not saying all run-flats). I swapped them out for Continental DWS, the car drives completely different and still handles awesome. I also have a 14' Grand Cherokee that I cured a constant vibration with changing tires.. on and on. Other then the fact that the tires must cost the manufacturers less money to use inexpensive tires, I really dont understand it. A different tire can completely change the driving characteristics of a vehicle.

We have customers with trailers that install car tires then they wear out or blow out prematurely. Tractor trailer tires are different then the tires on the rig. Sidewalls are stiffer on all trailer tires.

I also agree that its personal preference.

I am going to email our main tire warehouse and try to get some good information for everyone here.
    the Oem car mfg turn the mounted tires on a lathe to take any high spots off so the won't have any warranty claims over something they buy super cheep ,o well for you the new car buyer you may have just lost a few thousand miles of tread life , the tires on my $65000 new car had more flats due to rocks in the tread in the first year than 4 other cars of mine had in 10 years combined they even named them right "good "for about a "year" Oem tires are the cheapest thing they can put on to roll them out the door save $20 a car x a million cars = big bucks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now there are over 1,200 views of this thread. And not one poster who went back to motorcycle tires after having car tires--except for one who had a problem while on a trip, and he switched back to car tires as fast as he could.

NOT ONE!
    This say a lot about customer satisfaction about car tires. A lot.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Now there are over 1,200 views of this thread. And not one poster who went back to motorcycle tires after having car tires--except for one who had a problem while on a trip, and he switched back to car tires as fast as he could.

NOT ONE!
    This say a lot about customer satisfaction about car tires. A lot.

I guess, in a way, I went back to MC tires on the front... If that counts. But I changed machines and can't fit a CT on the front of the Wing.

But if I still had a Spyder, I would have retained the car tires I out on it. The Khumo Ecsta.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now about 1,350 views, and nobody went from
    MC tires to car tires and then back to MC tires on their Spyder, except for one guy who was forced into it on a trip.

WOW

Doublw WOW!

Does this say as much about customer satisfaction with car tires as I think it does?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SAID BEFORE

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    NO COMMENT....

it's all been said b4......
    Yes Dan, and only about a skajillion times..................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-13-2014 at 04:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default KENDA'S

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrock View Post
    hey Dan I had replied to a post on here a while back about motorcycle tires vs car tires. The end result was that I was ATTACKED and I mean ATTACKED for saying it was not right to mount car tires to a spyder. Like others have said these tires that come on a spyder are designed specifically for this bike. People always complain about the price of tires, I payed 35grand for my 2011rt ltd. Paying 200 dollars for a tire is nothing it comes down for me as what is my life worth, sure I can put a 70 dollar tire on but really all there is between you and the road is a few square inches and I want the best money can buy. I just got a 2014 grand cherokke ltd with a Hemi and it goes like hell, I ordered aftermarket wheels with Yokohama tires 450 a piece just for rubber.....I will feel safe going down the road. Oh and by the way I did get an apology, it was a private apology sent to me but I still am pissed about what was said lol. Sorry to invade your thread I would like to know if anyone switched back to factory tires as well.
    Sorry but I'm confused, if Kenda's are so GREAT why didn't you put them on your HEMI ......Kenda makes auto tires also .................................................. ......................I'd tell you why but you probably wouldn't understand.......Good Luck, Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Michelin Primacy 215/60/15
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    In PA since the Spyder is classified as a Motorcycle, it technically has to have Motorcycle tires in order to pass state inspection.
    Just had mine inspected last month and pointed out the Michelin Primacy to the mechanic, not a problem.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Just had mine inspected last month and pointed out the Michelin Primacy to the mechanic, not a problem.
    All the aftermarket trike kits use car tires! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Michelin Primacy 215/60/15
    The right choice...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    In my opinion (mind you; a buck fifty, and my opinion will get you a cup of coffee), since the Spyder uses flat tires, motorcycle tires are round, so the only reason for car tires is cost savings. Car tires are hard rubber, and motorcycle are soft to hold the turn better. Thus the car tires last longer.
    That really depends on the tire and how you ride. That stock rear balloons at highways speeds and wears fast in the middle. Car tires have more plys and don't balloon as much if all. The Toyo car tire I have on the rear I expect to last a little bit longer than the stock Kenda and it holds the road wet or dry far better than the Kenda... So the Toyo is a safer tire in my book.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been using the Toyo Proxes 4 which have been discontinued. I love that tire so much I just bought the last 3 that I could find in a warehouse...There are some new ones on eBay that I found as well.

Spyder Garage

Default STIFFER SIDEWALLS ! ! ! ???????

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
    Dan! i successfully ran car tires on my 2012 RT with the 14" fronts, after problems getting a "round" Kenda that would balance and not be out of rouund! However my new 2014 with the 15" tires has been a different story. After the dealer replaced 2 out of round 15" kendas, I went on the hunt for a suitable 15" car tire 165/55R15. The only thing available is the Federal EVO 595. The tires fit ok; however their rating is "V" (150 mph), giving them a very stiff sidewall and a very hard ride. Now I'm considering trying another set of the factory Kendas, for lack of anything else. I think they would be fine, if I can just get a set that are not "out of round" and balance ok. The 14" car tires on the 2012 and earlier are all rated "T" or "H" (118mph or 130 mph" and have a much softer sidewall than the new Federal 15" tire, and the ride and handing was ok on my 2012. Can't take the "very hard" ride of the new Federal, so back to the factory Kenda's for now, or until we have another choice of 15' TIRE SIZE (Maybe from Arachnid) before long. JMHO
    .......The difference in the stiffness of the sidewalls of the "V"----"T'-----& "H" rated tires is so small I would challenge anyone in a "blind test " to consistently be able to tell the difference......KENDA'S are two ply sidewalls and almost all car tires are four ply regardless of the speed rating. What gives a "V" rated tire a higher speed rating has many more factors than a stiffer sidewall.......When I was DRAG racing at Spyderfest I think my REAR tire was 12.5 lbs pressure, and guess what, it didn't fall off the rim . Before you go out and spend a small fortune on MORE NEW TIRES .......lower your air pressure by 5 to 8 lbs. and see what happens..............JMHO,......Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

we put a kumho car tire on the rear of our bike last spring and notice a huge improvement in how bike handled...about 2 weeks ago we put bridgestones car tires on the front and bike was instantly a whole new machine ... the ride improved, steering is easier..and have no problems with traction..have been in the rain several times... it simply rides and handles better with car tires..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Almost 2,000 views, and NO customer dissatisfaction with car tires reported!