Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default Where did you buy yours ?

Illinois Boy, Where did you purchase yours and are you happy with them?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2024 at 07:13 AM.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

This is such good info and most of the time I carry my iPad around with me, I have decided to make this into a iBook for the iPad. Currently a work in progress.

IMG_2460.jpg

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Thomas View Post
    Where did you purchase yours and are you happy with them?
    Sorry for the delay in answering your question.

I bought mine at Loves Park Powersports, in Loves Park , IL. I have had all my service done there. So far, I have not had any problems. I know of one person that says he didn't like the dealer, but I have had no problem. I have talked to the tech several times and he seems level headed and consistent.

Not sure this info is going to help you in LV though.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NCSpyderRT View Post
    This is such good info and most of the time I carry my iPad around with me, I have decided to make this into a iBook for the iPad. Currently a work in progress.

IMG_2460.jpg
    i would be interested... Please keep me in the loop... This info does get updated quite regularly.
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 06-27-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    i would be interested... Please keep me in the loop... This info does get updated quite regularly.
    PM Sent

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

I wish I had read this about a week ago! I am surprised this isn't stickied. Great tips -- I sat in the highway for 20 minutes with a dead engine in 1st gear and apparently didn't step on the brake! Finally figured it out, but man was that tense.

Thanks for this list.
    2013 RT , Red

Spyder Garage

When I first started ryding mine, I had a tendency to jerk sharply from side to side in hard curves. I started concentrating on making myself look farther down the road, since I had been riding atv's for a long time and was still used to scanning directly in front of me for obstacles and trail hazards. Once I started looking farther ahead. I started getting smoother through curvy roads.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

great advice and thanks for taking the time to explain it

fas

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Why is this not a "sticky"? This is great information that every new owner need to read.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wetmountainman View Post
    Why is this not a "sticky"? This is great information that every new owner need to read.
    +1. Way too beneficial to be buried.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, this needs to be a "sticky"! I just now found it because of a comment in a recent thread.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I didn't read all the posts. As for the negative battery terminal. It looks like that has been corrected on the 2013's with the battery up front. I removed the negative nut several times on my 2013 RT adding some connections to it with no problem of it coming loose.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting on the 2014 RT

BRP and the dealer both have told me the shifting on the (more highly powered) 2014's should be in the same RPMs as the previous models (4000-6000 ideal cruising RPMs, shifting not before 5000).

Still, the Eco mode seems to prefer that my RPMs are lower, and those numbers also "feel" right when I'm riding (for what little that's worth).

I can see that the power of the engine is more or less where it has always been, but am wondering if my shifting sensibility has reason or room to change.

Thoughts?

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydermyke990 View Post
    When I first started ryding mine, I had a tendency to jerk sharply from side to side in hard curves. I started concentrating on making myself look farther down the road, since I had been riding atv's for a long time and was still used to scanning directly in front of me for obstacles and trail hazards. Once I started looking farther ahead. I started getting smoother through curvy roads.
    A motorcycle safety foundation basic rider course would help with this a lot.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone mentioned getting a Rolo/Outlaw laser alignment?? If not, this is a must.

Chris

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Has anyone mentioned getting a Rolo/Outlaw laser alignment?? If not, this is a must.
    If you have someone close by to do it. The nearest one to me is 400 to 500 miles away!
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    If you have someone close by to do it. The nearest one to me is 400 to 500 miles away!
    Plan you a vacation or "two day ride" that would include a visit to a local (if that can be said) Rolo/Outlaw laser alignment distributor and have it done. Only takes about an hour of your time as far as the procedure itself.

​Chris

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Yeah, this needs to be a "sticky"! I just now found it because of a comment in a recent thread.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I didn't read all the posts. As for the negative battery terminal. It looks like that has been corrected on the 2013's with the battery up front. I removed the negative nut several times on my 2013 RT adding some connections to it with no problem of it coming loose.

I inserted a note about this point, based on your suggestion. It slipped past me... sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    BRP and the dealer both have told me the shifting on the (more highly powered) 2014's should be in the same RPMs as the previous models (4000-6000 ideal cruising RPMs, shifting not before 5000).

Still, the Eco mode seems to prefer that my RPMs are lower, and those numbers also "feel" right when I'm riding (for what little that's worth).

I can see that the power of the engine is more or less where it has always been, but am wondering if my shifting sensibility has reason or room to change.

Thoughts?
    This is something I would defer to those experienced riders owning the 1330's and what their final thoughts are. I found most dealers have no clue as to how to operate the previous models within their peak-performance band. JMHO...

It is early in the riding season this year, and many 1300 riders have only had their Spyders for a few weeks; while others have not ridden their 1330's at all.

I am waiting for the experienced riders' opinions once they have the opportunity to put miles on their 1330 to gain enough information for suggestions on best-practices for handling them to achieve peak performance. I suspect the information will begin to roll-in sooner than later.

From initial comments from those I listen to, the new 1330's definitely have its peak power band beginning at lower rpm's than the 990 series engine -- which to the average rider is going to feel more comfortable, in that most vehicles driven/ridden by the average person has more lower-end torque provided either by the engine or gearing (or combination of both).

So far there is no indications the actual handling best-practices (steering and such) has changed any. So it is looking as if the only big change in operation will be the shift-points and finding the optimal rpm shift-points for the 1330's.

Chris
    Information such as this is not what this thread is intended for. This thread was intended for basic operational tips/hints for stock Spyders -- not any customization or other such services. Other threads handle those subjects quite well on Spyderlovers.com. No offense, but if we start adding all of these additional suggestions the post will become a 300-page post; and it is getting long as it it...

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    I inserted a note about this point, based on your suggestion. It slipped past me... sorry.

This is something I would defer to those experienced riders owning the 1330's and what their final thoughts are. I found most dealers have no clue as to how to operate the previous models within their peak-performance band. JMHO...

It is early in the riding season this year, and many 1300 riders have only had their Spyders for a few weeks; while others have not ridden their 1330's at all.

I am waiting for the experienced riders' opinions once they have the opportunity to put miles on their 1330 to gain enough information for suggestions on best-practices for handling them to achieve peak performance. I suspect the information will begin to roll-in sooner than later.

From initial comments from those I listen to, the new 1330's definitely have its peak power band beginning at lower rpm's than the 990 series engine -- which to the average rider is going to feel more comfortable, in that most vehicles driven/ridden by the average person has more lower-end torque provided either by the engine or gearing (or combination of both).

So far there is no indications the actual handling best-practices (steering and such) has changed any. So it is looking as if the only big change in operation will be the shift-points and finding the optimal rpm shift-points for the 1330's.

Information such as this is not what this thread is intended for. This thread was intended for basic operational tips/hints for stock Spyders -- not any customization or other such services. Other threads handle those subjects quite well on Spyderlovers.com. No offense, but if we start adding all of these additional suggestions the post will become a 300-page post; and it is getting long as it it...
    SORRY I GAVE MEANING FOR WHICH THE OP DID NOT INTEND. I'LL TRY TO DO BETTER NEXT TIME.
    NO OFFENSE TAKEN. I WON'T GIVE YOU THAT POWER.
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 03-08-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydermedicrn View Post
    Ok, so I took my bike in for service and was told that I am riding the brake and need to stop. Well I knew better, I wasn't riding the brake. I knew better because I rode with my right foot hooked under the brake pedal. What I found myself doing was pulling up on the brake A LOT!. Well you would think that would be OK but IT IS NOT!!! ANY TOUCHING OF THE BRAKE is engaging the brake. I went through a new pair of pads in a very short time before I figured out I was the problem. Now I just use the foot pegs like I should and only touch the brake to use it. Everything is great now.
    NBV Highway peg brackets could help.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

SORRY I GAVE MEANING FOR WHICH THE OP DID NOT INTEND. I'LL TRY TO DO BETTER NEXT TIME.
    NO OFFENSE TAKEN. I WON'T GIVE YOU THAT POWER.
    I thought you were intending for me to include the alignment suggestion to the OP; which is why I said what I did. I was not intending to offend you if I did.

Personally, it appears the alignment IS a must-do for Spyders though, given all the good responses from those getting it done. I know I am getting mine done as soon as the weather breaks around here.

Again, I hope I didn't offend you. That was not my intention. Sometimes I just type fast and don't think first.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Codes Suggestion

Illinois Boy .... check this with RR (Roger); I believe his app is now available for direct download (free) as follows:
    • SpyderCodes for Android at the GooglePlay
    • MySpyder for iPhone at the Apple down load site

I believe the information is posted on the listed web site, so it might be redundant to show it here -- your choice.

Was giving this thread my periodic read (roughly twice a year) when I thought about the above.

Thanks for putting this thread together and also for maintaining it ... good job! Best Regards ... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    Illinois Boy .... check this with RR (Roger); I believe his app is now available for direct download (free) as follows:
    • SpyderCodes for Android at the GooglePlay
    • MySpyder for iPhone at the Apple down load site

I believe the information is posted on the listed web site, so it might be redundant to show it here -- your choice.

Was giving this thread my periodic read (roughly twice a year) when I thought about the above.

Thanks for putting this thread together and also for maintaining it ... good job! Best Regards ... Ann
    Thanks Ann. I will update the info...

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDERS TO THE RESCUE link

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    When you get time, go to the Home Page and on the right hand side is a "SPYDERS TO THE RESCUE" link, read it and if you can, join it. Print it out just before a trip out of your comfort zone.

Cruzr Joe

Newbie Here (1 week)…Thanks for the “heads up” on the link to "SPYDERS TO THE RESCUE". My husband puts on a lot of miles traveling to speaking engagements (did on two wheels, before his accident, no doubt he will on three).
    Last edited by LadyBogo; 04-26-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default Note for newbies

recently found a great way to teach a hard headed newbie:

1)have them wear good earplugs to cut down on motor noise.
    2) put the spyder in trailer mode so the person cannot shift too early hope this helps any new riders trying to break the low RPM habits
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2024 at 07:15 AM.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default Do's and Do Nots

This post Do's and Do Nots is GREAT! I'm a newbie on a bike/Spyder (3 months) and been changing gears way to soon.
    Thank you. This will make my ride even that much more enjoyable.
    I've read the Do's and Do Nots at least 3 times now.