Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default |Screech Owl trapped under the Tupperware?

2012 RT Limited, SE5. 11,600 miles in 11 months. No winter shutdown.

I have a screeching sound coming from the engine area, and BRP has no experience with it so I'm asking if anyone else has ever experienced this...

The noise sounds like metal on metal, like a dry shaft or bearing, and occurs only under engine load, the more load the louder the screech. Does not occur while coasting, slowing & stopping. It is also unpredictably intermittent; the next time you start the engine it may not be there. If it is there, the next time you stop/start the engine it may change. I haven't noticed any pattern with cold or warm motor, either. Unpredictable! But, it occurs more often than not.

The speed and tempo of the noise is consistent with engine rpm, not with wheel speed. This suggests to me the problem is not the front sprocket or anything aft of that, including the belt.

The tech has opened a case with BRP, but no one there seems to have experience with this thing. They keep suggesting other known problems, like a humming noise (nope), or a dry belt (nope). The tech has checked the throttle-body and the clutch, but can't find anything yet.

So I was just wondering... does anyone out there recall anything like this before?

Thanks in advance...
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can eliminate the belt as a source of this mystery by taking a SMALL dab of grease, and applying it to the cogs on the rear sprocket. The belt will pick it up, and carry it up front for you...
    Other than that; try not to park on your Wife's foot next time!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2zUENBb...%3D2zUENBbnonM

Shawn Smoak posted a video that you may find helpful.

He must have edited this video. Am certain he went into greater detail as to the noises it made and other info on the how and why he discovered it.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 02-02-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like belt screech. There is a service bulletin from BRP regarding this. Your dealer should be aware of the "fix" Bob described above, but if not he needs to catch up on studying his service bulletins. Be sure to check the belt alignment and tension before applying this "fix".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Shawn Smoak posted a video that you may find helpful.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvhpCLYN_N4

He must have edited this video. Am certain he went into greater detail as to the noises it made and other info on the how and why he discovered it.
    Thanks. But the link gave me a 2014 assembly and 1st-startup video. It had nothing to do with the 998cc engine noise...?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If not belt, as Scotty and Bob have said, check for air leaks in the vacuum system or air box.

Make sure the neighbors cat is not trapped in there.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Thanks. But the link gave me a 2014 assembly and 1st-startup video. It had nothing to do with the 998cc engine noise...?

Sorry about that. Not sure how it happened. The link has been corrected.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 02-02-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Sorry about that. Not sure how it happened. The link has been corrected.
    Okaaaay! Many thanks again!

I watched the video several times, and read all the comments, and it sure sounds like my problem. It even says "left side" of engine, which I forgot to mention. It is, however, a 2013 RT-S, a nearly new one, but I'm going to assume the engine, transmission and shift-control module (HCM) are all the same as a 2012. I copied down the links, etc., and will take this info to the shop tomorrow... they have had my Spyder since Jan. 21, that'll be 2 weeks on Tuesday.

You guys are great, with quick answers to almost any problem anyone might have!