Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Caught in the act! (with pic)

SO... here we go... YET AGAIN.

Last week I took my Spyder to a dealer to have them tighten the bolts on my BajaRon sway bar to get rid of loud clunking noises when I turn, to the tune of $42. Well yesterday the clunking came back. I put the Spyder up on a ramp so I could get underneath and see what was going on and I immediately was overwhelmed with gas fumes. And then I saw this:

JUST AWESOME. Not only was it dripping freely, but I could SEE the fumes coming out of it. I have 1/3 a tank of gas in it and the engine was ran for only 5 minutes before I parked it. What in the world is the purpose of this? My garage reeks of gasoline so bad that it has permeated into my wife's car even with her windows rolled up. Everything stinks of gas in my garage.

And the clunking is back, but the bolts are tight.

And I haven't heard back from the dealer about replacing that side panel that flew off.

And it still runs hot, even after wrapping the pipes.

And I'm still averaging 24 mpg.

And I have less than 1500 miles on it.

(In light of my current situation, I've edited out an inappropriate comment I made here months ago.)
    Last edited by Dat Guy; 07-28-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if you're going to start a fire... Be sure to use fuel that has the proper octane rating!
    Seriously; is that the dump line from the evaporative canister? Could you have overfilled the fuel tank previously, and had some fuel get sloshed into it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

they need to check the fuel system. All connections, fuel filter, evap canister etc. You should not have fuel dripping. The clunking needs further investigation. You may have to have new eyes on these problems...let us know what happens...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Man this sucks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Caught in the act! (with pic)

Sorry about your issues, what is the dealer saying? about it? if they can't fix it or find what is going on is time to get a new one, hope things get better..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why does everyone keep mentioning "Did you overfill it?' It is getting old. This is exactly what I have been complaining about on mine and I HAVE NEVER overfilled it. I have never had any vehicle drip gas PERIOD. Do any other years beside the 2013 drip gas like we do? Quit telling us this is normal it is not if it were everyone would have it. In the poll I started 75% said they never smelled gas but some of us do.

To the OP tightening those bolts are so easy a caveman could do it 10mm wrench is all you need 1/4 turn each time you tighten it and try it out. It took 3 times for me to get it quiet. You do not want them too tight. I never even used an additional wrench on the back side the nut seems to not move but then all you need is 2, 10mm wrenches (or a combo of small socket and wrench) if it does. I did not need to pull panels nor will you need to get the wrench on the nut if needed it will slide in there.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Looks normal to me. Mine has done it from day one. The entire emissions system was replace and nothing changed. BRP suggests you park it outside till things cool and it quits dripping, before storing in any enclosure.

Do I like it? NO. But, it ain't gonna change. Not unlike the blow torch right foot heater we will continue to live with.

Just the facts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave!
    We get the fact that you haven't overfilled yours...
    But it would be an irresponsible assumption to make about all of the other owners. The question is valid. I stand by it.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Dave!
    But it would be an irresponsible assumption to make about all of the other owners. The question is valid. I stand by it.
    Bob, actually you do not have to over fill It. If you fill to first pump cut off and hit twisties 10 miles later the fuel will slosh enough to make all the vapors you need to foul the system and create drips. Add under tupperware heat to that, which boils the fuel creating even more fumes and one quickly comes to the conclusion that they simply missed the mark on placement of the evap system.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...which is why I'm so glad to have traded in my 2010 for a 2014.
    Even though I never had trouble with gasoline fumes...
    Some other fumes though...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Bob, actually you do not have to over fill It. If you fill to first pump cut off and hit twisties 10 miles later the fuel will slosh enough to make all the vapors you need to foul the system and create drips. Add under tupperware heat to that, which boils the fuel creating even more fumes and one quickly comes to the conclusion that they simply missed the mark on placement of the evap system.

I am glad that they have apparently fixed this on the 14s

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

...which is why I'm so glad to have traded in my 2010 for a 2014.
    Even though I never had trouble with gasoline fumes...
    Some other fumes though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I am glad that they have apparently fixed this on the 14s

Cruzr joe
    A lot of fingers are crossed that 'IF' you folks have any problems. They will not be repeats.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default flying off panel...no more!

Sorry to hear about the panel flying off (and the other problems of course). But here's an idea for you....Lanyard was a gift from "Spyderyderjim"

laniard.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    SO... here we go... YET AGAIN.

Last week I took my Spyder to a dealer to have them tighten the bolts on my BajaRon sway bar to get rid of loud clunking noises when I turn, to the tune of $42. Well yesterday the clunking came back. I put the Spyder up on a ramp so I could get underneath and see what was going on and I immediately was overwhelmed with gas fumes. And then I saw this:

JUST AWESOME. Not only was it dripping freely, but I could SEE the fumes coming out of it. I have 1/3 a tank of gas in it and the engine was ran for only 5 minutes before I parked it. What in the world is the purpose of this? My garage reeks of gasoline so bad that it has permeated into my wife's car even with her windows rolled up. Everything stinks of gas in my garage.

And the clunking is back, but the bolts are tight.

And I haven't heard back from the dealer about replacing that side panel that flew off.

And it still runs hot, even after wrapping the pipes.

And I'm still averaging 24 mpg.

And I have less than 1500 miles on it.

You know... I'm seriously contemplating putting it at the end of my driveway and setting it on fire right now. It certainly wouldn't have a hard time catching with all those fumes around it. Seriously.
    i have a 2008 PM# 301. Has leaked from day one , they have not did anything about this,
    so why should BRP change.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would imagine that BRP is already well-aware of what's riding on this year's crop of bikes...

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Talking

I would imagine that BRP is already well-aware of what's riding on this year's crop of bikes...
    Ya think!

Spyder Garage

When the gas fumes become so bad that the garage is permeated with them, something is wrong.

DatGuy's and MagDaves 's have some interesting issues and have been mentioned in a few other threads. I sincerely hope both can get the issues resolved.

I do recommend DatGuy trying another servicing dealer if possible. New eyes may be helpful.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    My 09 GS smell of gas from time to time. MY 13 ST never smells of fuel, ever. I fill to the filler restrictor plate except when the pump won't let me. Based on your theory I should be having a problem. Also your conclusion on placement of the evap canister. Is that based the location in the 2008 to 2012 models or is it based on the location in the 2013 model?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by billybovexperience02
    My 09 GS smell of gas from time to time. MY 13 ST never smells of fuel, ever. I fill to the filler restrictor plate except when the pump won't let me. Based on your theory I should be having a problem. Also your conclusion on placement of the evap canister. Is that based the location in the 2008 to 2012 models or is it based on the location in the 2013 model?
    Based on personal experience and hyper vigilance of when, where, and what brings about the problem on my particular machine. Your results may differ.

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave!
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand the seeming lack of manufacturing consistency. Isn't one of the hallmarks of an assembly line supposed to be consistency? Why do some leak and others don't? There must be a reason for this.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are all of you that are having fuel drip/smell issues still running canisters with the purge valve connected?

My 12' has never dripped or smelled bad of gas like you all are experiencing. I overfill like crazy and try to get every drop in that tank! I'm not running, nor have I run since new, the canister and my purge is plugged.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The harsh reality is that NO spyder should drip like that. You should be able to fill the tank without fear of filling the evap cannister causing this mess. There needs to be a check valve or something inplace to keep the fuel out of the cannister. Its kinda scarry that the dripping fuel is right up in front of the extremly hot catilytic converter.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually: no fuel should ever get IN the canister...
    If it does; it wrecks the canister's ability to function as planned, and makes it stink!

Spyder Garage

Smile my mistress

my 2012 Rt has always smelled, hot to the ankles and in the shop more than I ride. but, hey I put all that aside because of
    the deep love I have for her!