Spyder Garage

Question Interesting thing with fuel gauge Sunday...

Saturday evening when I parked it, I had 2 bars left on the fuel gauge... I started it up Sunday around noon (almost 70 degrees out) to take a short ride to town, and it showed a full tank on the gauge instead! What???

After letting it idle for 30 seconds or so it dropped a bar, then continued dropping a bar every 30-45 seconds till it got back down to 2 bars again.

Is this a sign of bad things to come? It's NOT done anything like that before... now I'm wondering if the fuel gauge is trustworthy or not.

Thoughts anybody?

Thanks.

- Michael

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Me too

Same thing happened to me last week but I had not started mine for a couple of weeks and temps were in the 30's.I am just going to contribute it to an electrical glitch and not worry about it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Default Crazy readings

A month or so ago I had a similar cituation with the analog tach. Just so happened I had parked so the morning sun was shinning square down on the console. Which resulted in the tach malfunctioning for a half hour or so. The digital read out was functioning fine, but the tach needle indication was everything but fine. Once things cooled down, followed by a restart, all was fine. May or may not apply to your cituation.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I think one can call it an "idiosyncrasy" my 2011 does that all the time but in reverse goes from emptier to fuller. I have more faith in feeling the ride getting lighter then I do in what the analog gas gage tells me. I use feel, gage, dash warning light and trip meter mileage to keep me from walking.

Spyder Garage

Ok thanks guys... mine's still under factory warranty till August, so if anything fails it should be covered. Also have Roadside Assistance on my insurance policy and always take cell phone with me, just would rather not have to use it! LOL!

- Michael

Spyder Garage

It sounds like temperature changes (either hot or cold) make the screen do some funny things. This is the first I have seen where the guage changes quantities as the bike warms up.

We have had the issue with the floppy and seemingly less than accurate analog gauges, being a problem. I have replaced two gauges on my 2010 and it still did not work to my satisfaction. Fix: I disconnected the gauges on both RT's and now use the digital ones.

Interested if the problem posted is new, or just has not been discussed much.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's been discussed on here a couple of times that high ambient temperatures; coupled with a suitable application of bright sunshine, will cause some REALLY interesting things to happen with the displays...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's been discussed on here a couple of times that high ambient temperatures; coupled with a suitable application of bright sunshine, will cause some REALLY interesting things to happen with the displays...
    I was mainly interested in the gauge changing quantities from shut off time. Full to empty or vice versa.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fuel gauge is reading normal. Both spiders I have or had do the same

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Thanks guys, but mine didn't experience a temp change... it was a very mild day (and the night before was mild too, maybe a 10 degree change from low to high and it was about noon when I went out start it), the Spyder was parked under my carport and that's where I started it up and sat watching the fuel gauge weirdness (didn't move it at all, just started it and sat there too suprised by what the fuel gauge was doing).

I haven't seen it do this again the other weekend. Fingers crossed it doesn't do anything like that again!

- Michael