Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question spyder rt vs gl1800 trike

trying to decide between the 2 . i have a gl1800 2 wheeler now and ride in a gwrra group often your opinions please, one concern is the a CB, which my wife and i frequently use and would require on a spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Send SteveMac a PM...
    or BigRed1
    Both of them have exztensive experience on both rides...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My brother rides a GL1800 trike conversion and I ride a 2011 RT. My CB works great. He can't keep up with me in the corners but he gets better gas mileage. Both have + and - and both are a great ride. I like the better stability the RT provides in all situations, even in snow. Cheers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

And gas mileage probably won't be as much of a concern with the 2014 RT model I'd think.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default CB...

that is no problem. Which ryde is best for you is your main consideration. They are different in many aspects. As we tell most the test ryde is really a must to get an Idea. We have many ex wing ryders ex trike ryders and two wheelers abound. I have had many bikes quads sports cars etc last being a sport wing and got my roadster sight unseen and tested it on the way home. Greatest move ever more will tell you their experiences...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by halbar View Post
    trying to decide between the 2 . i have a gl1800 2 wheeler now and ride in a gwrra group often your opinions please, one concern is the a CB, which my wife and i frequently use and would require on a spyder.
    First, welcome to SpyderLovers!

Here is a link to a thread I started, comparing;
    my current ride (a 2003 GL1800 trike with a 2009 Champion kit)
    to my former ride (a 2010 Spyder RT)

Just my own personal thoughts.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post689017

Please note that I did not comment on the current 2014 triple cyl RT, so some of my comments on my 2010 RT, may be solved with regard to torque etc.

Either ride is a fun one. I settled on the Honda for my own personal reasons. I'd recommend you test ride both and put them to the paces at your own personal riding level and style. Cost is also a factor. If you are buying new, I believe the RT will be slightly less, but I bought a very low mileage Honda (16k miles) at half the cost of a comparably equipped new RT. But I bought it at the end of the riding season.

I am very happy with my Wing trike and I don't anticipate changing any time soon!

In the end, just do as you are now, inquire about both. Ride both. The decision won't be too tough after you do that.

Good luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just KNEW that you'd show up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You bet Bob. I read a lot! Just don't post too often, but rest assured,, I lurk!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

He would of shown up sooner if he was on a Spyder.

Just Ribbing you (could not pass up that opportunity.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    He would of shown up sooner if he was on a Spyder.

Just Ribbing you (could not pass up that opportunity.

Cruzr Joe
    No worries Joe. LOL
    Hey, we may have to "line em up" at the Spyderfest drag races! That would be interesting.

Spyder Garage

Very good information from the Wing side.

My thoughts:

: A test ride (if possible on a Wing) as well as a test ride on the are very good suggestions. One or the other will appeal to you more.

: These days, costs and amenities are pretty close. The does have the "nanny" and the Wing does not. That may be a consideration for some.

: A GW trike does not come with a factory warranty and some dealers will not even work on a triked GW. I tried that here, and that was the deal breaker for me.

: The jury is out as far as the new 3 cylinder compared to the Wing. I am guessing it makes the match up much better than the 2 cylinder .

Enjoy your hunt and let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The question of factory warranty is a very good and valid point. Especially if comparing new rides. It wasn't a factor in my case, since I bought a 2003.

While shopping though, all the dealers I spoke with would make sure you got warranty work at "their shop". But encountering a problem "on the road" might be an issue with the Honda trike, as the dealer may refuse to work on it under warranty. Especially if that Honda dealer does not sell trikes. However, a point could be made that there are fewer CanAm dealers while traveling too, so even a factory warranty won't help if there is no dealer available.

Still though, the CanAm factory warranty is better than an "if-then" on the Honda and should also be a factor in comparing the two.
    Last edited by SteveMac; 01-22-2014 at 03:46 PM.

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

One more factor to consider...

The current Goldwing engine, 1832cc flat six is now in it's 14th year of production and has proved itself to be very reliable - "bullet proof", according to some. It will be many years before a fair comparison can be made with the Spyder engine, especially now with the new one starting with the 2014 RT. If the hype is to be believed, & I see no reason yet to not believe it, the 2014 addresses most all of the concerns of the owners. If the engine proves to also be reliable, they'll have a winner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    You bet Bob. I read a lot! Just don't post too often, but rest assured,, I lurk!
    Wilson.jpg And, like our friend here; you always have something useful to add!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Everyone's missed my hot button.

How close is your dealer? Are they any good?

Some folks have the time and wherewithal to travel 150 miles or more to get to a good dealer. I don't, and that's a major issue for me. I have a great Honda/et al dealer less than 5 miles away, and it's over 60 miles to a decent Spyder dealer.

JMHO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Everyone's missed my hot button.

How close is your dealer? Are they any good?

Some folks have the time and wherewithal to travel 150 miles or more to get to a good dealer. I don't, and that's a major issue for me. I have a great Honda/et al dealer less than 5 miles away, and it's over 60 miles to a decent Spyder dealer.

JMHO
    My Spyder dealer is 5 miles away and the Honda dealer is 40 miles away. The Honda dealer wont work on GW trikes so, issue was solved for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am not sure what the question is here. Are we talking Spyder vs. GW trike? CBs on both? Now sure but here is my story and I am sticking to it.

I triked my '02 GW in '05 with a Motor Trike kit. I have around 65,000 great miles on it. I have CB on it which works very well. I have had no maintenance problems with it. I like it very much. I get 32 mpg. Tire mileage is GREAT!!

I bought a 2011 RT-S SE5 in March of 2011. I had a steering sensor and a throttle body replaced. I have 14,000 on it now and it runs like a hose. I like it. I have a CB on it but it does not have the distance the GW has...I live with it. I get 30 mpg. Replaced rear tire @ 12,000, not good.

Most of my riding is with my long time group, the Hill Country Road Riders. I usually ride sweep with 10-15 riders each weekend. We ride 12 months a year depending on the size of your privates. Most have electric gear as I do. Having small privates, I don't ride below 32 or so.

I like to ride both machines. They are different rides, but both are enjoyable...the Wing has more hp and torque and moves out faster when needed, but the RT, with the rpm up does a good job too. I kept the Wing because I could not get a price for it I would like and now enjoy riding both.

I like a CB as I ride with a group and when on a trip, I enjoy talking to truckers about the WX, road conditions, etc. It is a personal choice.

Dealers: My local Honda dealer sells Motor Trikes but I have not had a problem so have not taken it to him. My front end work, if needed, is done by a retired certificed Gold Wing tech...very good. My oil changes and checking the Motor Trike kit parts is done by a super mechanic who has two Motor Trikes of his own. He is a friend and has a lift in his garage for three wheelers. My local Yamaha dealer (2 miles) got the BRP dealership two months ago and has trained two of his techs at the BRP school. He said he will make me a deal on a 2014 RT-S that I can't refuse...he is getting his inventory and parts in now. Big Red is running great so I see no reason to trade...
    Last edited by Mr. White; 01-22-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default C B

I HAD A C B PUT IN 2011 RT AND IT COST ABOUT 1300.00 INSTALLED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

GEORGE!!
    Good to hear from you again!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I added the CB to my 2011 RT. Couldn't handle the price of the factory setup so I went with a Midland 75-822 portable CB. Just added the Sena SR10 2-way radio Bluetooth unit. I have the Sena Bluetooth SPH10H headset. This all works very well together making my CB now bluetoothed to my helmet. I have about $400 in this setup. I already had the Bluetooth headset so adding the CB and Bluetooth unit from Sena is about $240. What I find really nice is you can be having an intercom conversation with the wife and the CB just mixes in at a little higher volume. Just letting you know the CB options.

Spyder Garage

Default cb on rt

where did you mount the midland on the rt, and thanks for the info, good to have options

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

where did you mount the midland on the rt, and thanks for the info, good to have options
    Here is a post showing photos and how I did it. Now I added the SR10 Sena and Bluetooth for the CB.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...298#post426298

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Some folks have the time and wherewithal to travel 150 miles or more to get to a good dealer. I don't, and that's a major issue for me. I have a great Honda/et al dealer less than 5 miles away, and it's over 60 miles to a decent Spyder dealer.JMHO
    This is the exact quandry that I find myself in. My trike friendly Honda dealer is 15 miles away, and my Spyder dealer is 70 miles away. Issues with my left hand post surgery may dictate a change to a RT SE6.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

weent with a 2014 limited, pearl white lovin it so far 2600mi. cb to be installed next week along with3000 serv.

Spyder Garage

weent with a 2014 limited, pearl white lovin it so far 2600mi. cb to be installed next week along with3000 serv.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue