Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS mapping help

I'm looking for help creating routes for the GPS that came with my 2013 RT Limited. The Base Camp software it comes with blows for the lack of a better term. Can I create a route, yes. Will it get me where I need to go, most of the time, yes. I would just like to create a route not just where but the roads I'd like to take to get there. I can make a route on Google maps but I can't get that into my GPS. Thanks for any help or advice anyone may have.

P.S. No, I don't want to replace or add another GPS, this one works it's just the software that doesn't.

Spyder Garage

Default GMap to GPX

I use Google to find my route and then covert it using Gmap to GPX.
    Found here. Free
    http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx
    Works great.

Spyder Garage

Default Map Quest

I can import routes from Map Quest to my Garmin, but can't seem to make it work with Google.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by n1njazx7 View Post
    I'm looking for help creating routes for the GPS that came with my 2013 RT Limited. The Base Camp software it comes with blows for the lack of a better term. Can I create a route, yes. Will it get me where I need to go, most of the time, yes. I would just like to create a route not just where but the roads I'd like to take to get there. I can make a route on Google maps but I can't get that into my GPS. Thanks for any help or advice anyone may have.

P.S. No, I don't want to replace or add another GPS, this one works it's just the software that doesn't.
    This is the best way I have figured out to get maps from Google maps to my Garmin.
    1. Install a program called Tyre from http://www.tyretotravel.com/download...ad-tyre-basic/ (the free version works fine)

2. This is the way it works best for me. Open Tyre, go to tools, preferences. Go to the Google Maps-Route tab. Make sure Drive and Motorbike are selected. On the General Tab you have the option to make the default GPS Garmin. Leave it on TomTom even if you have a Garmin. Select OK

3. Go to Google Maps (MUST BE CLASSIC VERSION. NEW GOOGLE MAPS DOES NOT WORK) Click directions, put your 2 locations in and click Get Directions. Do NOT drag the route. Anywhere that you want the route to take a particular road/route right click on the road and select Add Destination. Once route is completed click the chainlink icon right next to the printer icon. Copy the url that is on the popout window.

4. Go back to the Tyre program and click File, Import from web. A window opens, paste the url you copied from Google maps into the address section where it says http:// and hit enter on keyboard.

5. You will see your route. In the bottom right corner click import. A little window pops up select waypoints. Your route should be visible in Tyre now just as it was in Google Maps.

6. Now plug your Garmin into the computer using the mini USB cable. It will be recognized by Tyre. Your menu now at the top of Tyre should say Garmin instead of TomTom. Select Garmin, Copy to Garmin.

7. Once copied to the Garmin unplug from computer and do the usual import of a custom route on your Garmin.

THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH NEW GOOGLE MAPS. FEEL FREE TO PLAY WITH OTHER SETTINGS BUT THIS IS THE COMBONATION THAT I HAVE FOUND WORKS BEST.
    When plugging in your Garmin for the first time there may be a couple of other questions you answer. Don't really remember.

Hope this helps, John

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all, I have tried some of the things and will get to the others later. So far the MapQuest way works really good but I don't have my GPS unit with me. I emailed myself the file and will try to load it when I get home.

Spyder Garage

The best way I have found and loads easily to the Garmin is Harley Davidson route planner .
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's what I had before (09 Ultra Classic) and it used the same software, Base Camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I find the Base Camp works on my MAC great but has a bit of a learning curve. You can select routes from the Tools drop down and simply click thru from spot to spot to create the route you want. When done, hit escape and it ends the route. I then go back and retrace the route to be sure it did what I want. You can use the select tool to move the route to a different road if you want to. I simply upload to my GPS and the route shows up in the custom route s on my Garmin. You do have to take the time to learn the program. My experience with the Garmin tech support is great!
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Whether you use the Garmin software or import from an aftermarket or Internet product, the Garmin will only store waypoints. It will choose the road between those waypoints differently, depending on your preference settings. You cannot select a specific road, like you can on Google Maps or similar products. The Garmin will always calculate its own way. You may be able to get close, on a reasonably short trip, by setting lots of waypoints (I often use intesections). For some roads, like the Blue Ridge Parkway, even that does not work. When I run into one of those situations, I just use the GPS as a map, and not as a direction guide. I have longed for a GPS that would let you select the preferred highway, like asking to go from Chicago, IL to Coldwater, MI via US 12.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    This is the best way I have figured out to get maps from Google maps to my Garmin.
    1. Install a program called Tyre from http://www.tyretotravel.com/download...ad-tyre-basic/ (the free version works fine)

2. This is the way it works best for me. Open Tyre, go to tools, preferences. Go to the Google Maps-Route tab. Make sure Drive and Motorbike are selected. On the General Tab you have the option to make the default GPS Garmin. Leave it on TomTom even if you have a Garmin. Select OK

3. Go to Google Maps (MUST BE CLASSIC VERSION. NEW GOOGLE MAPS DOES NOT WORK) Click directions, put your 2 locations in and click Get Directions. Do NOT drag the route. Anywhere that you want the route to take a particular road/route right click on the road and select Add Destination. Once route is completed click the chainlink icon right next to the printer icon. Copy the url that is on the popout window.

4. Go back to the Tyre program and click File, Import from web. A window opens, paste the url you copied from Google maps into the address section where it says http:// and hit enter on keyboard.

5. You will see your route. In the bottom right corner click import. A little window pops up select waypoints. Your route should be visible in Tyre now just as it was in Google Maps.

6. Now plug your Garmin into the computer using the mini USB cable. It will be recognized by Tyre. Your menu now at the top of Tyre should say Garmin instead of TomTom. Select Garmin, Copy to Garmin.

7. Once copied to the Garmin unplug from computer and do the usual import of a custom route on your Garmin.

THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH NEW GOOGLE MAPS. FEEL FREE TO PLAY WITH OTHER SETTINGS BUT THIS IS THE COMBONATION THAT I HAVE FOUND WORKS BEST.
    When plugging in your Garmin for the first time there may be a couple of other questions you answer. Don't really remember.

Hope this helps, John
    Thanks alot John, going to give this a try.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    The best way I have found and loads easily to the Garmin is Harley Davidson route planner .
    I use the HD Planner, even when I use the Garmin in the cage.
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    I use the HD Planner, even when I use the Garmin in the cage.
    This is by far the easiest to learn imo. It downloads directly to the garmin with no conversion programs. Follow Scotty's suggestion in using lots of waypoints to force the route you want. At the last 3 Spyderfests, I programed the passport routes into the garmin using waypoints. Another way to do it though is to put them directly into the garmin and have it calculate the shortest route between points. I like to start where I want to and end up where I want to so I do it via the waypoints.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for everyone's input. I went home last night and found that if I just let Base Camp chose it's own route I can then change it by clicking on the "insert" tool. Then click on the part of the route you want to change, then click on the road (point) where you want it to go to and it will recalculate it for you. You can do this as many times as you need to correct/direct your route where you want it to go. Also if you need to change where you moved it to you can click the "undo" under the "edit" tab or use the "move way point" tool on the tool bar. I made a route starting at the top of Skyline drive to the bottom of the Blue Ridge Parkway, that's along route to correct but it worked great! I can hardly wait till May for our trip to began.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Garmin that came on my RT LTD accepts the exact route I create along with points. The gps only recalculates the route to different than the one I created on BaseCamp or Roadtrip is when I mis a turn! Just saying!
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by n1njazx7 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input. I went home last night and found that if I just let Base Camp chose it's own route I can then change it by clicking on the "insert" tool. Then click on the part of the route you want to change, then click on the road (point) where you want it to go to and it will recalculate it for you. You can do this as many times as you need to correct/direct your route where you want it to go. Also if you need to change where you moved it to you can click the "undo" under the "edit" tab or use the "move way point" tool on the tool bar. I made a route starting at the top of Skyline drive to the bottom of the Blue Ridge Parkway, that's along route to correct but it worked great! I can hardly wait till May for our trip to began.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    Garmin that came on my RT LTD accepts the exact route I create along with points. The gps only recalculates the route to different than the one I created on BaseCamp or Roadtrip is when I mis a turn! Just saying!
    Yeah they all look good on the computer. Be sure to load it out to the garmin and have it calculate to make sure you get what want.

Obviously if you create a route on the garmin it will do what you asked it to do. It just takes a long time to do that and the route preview is not what I would call readable.

Spyder Garage

I use Tyre (free version)for all my route mapping. After loading into Garmin it will follow the route. if you miss a turn, Garmin will recalculate but only to your next route point. My only advice is to build the routes by zooming as Tyre will let you put a waypoint on the wrong side of a 4 way then build the route that includes a u turn. Also use Tyre to preview the route in zoom so you are sure the points are correct. I built routes from San Antonio to New Orleans and back and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Be forewarned, the Garmin (at least either of my Garmin models) don't like the BRP. That is especially true where there are lots of intersections, like around Asheville. If you find a place where it keeps wanting to take you off the Parkway, and even setting waypoints along the Parkway doesn't help, just revert to map mode until after your next waypoint or two. There were several places along the length of the Parkway where I have had to do this.