Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default SpyderLovers- Why We Ride

I don't know how many of you have been able to see the new movie Why We Ride but I hear it's a great flick and is much like the film that inspired me to ride called On Any Sunday. After seeing that movie I knew I had to own my own motorcycle and it wasn't long after that I purchased with the help of my father a 1969 Kaw. 90

That was the beginning of a life long passion I have to this day. I've always loved anything with a motor in it and especially loved being in the wind. Fast forward through all my bikes and a long came a Spyder. At the time I had know idea that one day the Spyder would be such a big part of my life and that given the choice I would pick the Spyder over my bikes when it came time to go for a ride. Don't get me wrong, I still love motorcycles and always will but if I had to pick either or I'm here to say I would pick the Spyder.

I still have my M109R and my last bike was a F6B that a deer took out for me just last year. The bike was totaled and my wife and I suffered some pretty good roadrash and I can't help but wonder how much better we would have been if we had been on the Spyder instead of two wheels. That runs through my mind quite a bit now. That's not the only reason I now prefer the Spyder over a two wheeler but it is a big plus. Comfort wise it's hard to beat the RT and having owned many bikes over the years that I've traveled cross country on I can honestly say there is no bike that I've wanted to put so many miles on or felt so good after 900 to 1100 miles a day in the saddle. The mental stress that you have when the weather gets ugly on a bike is just not there on a Spyder and that makes for a more pleasurable ride. The weather protection is great on the RT and having a factory approved trailer package make it easy to access everything that you wanted to carry on a bike but couldn't. I can take off a month at a time and get everything I need in the Spyder and trailer and that's another big plus.

Physically I don't have a need to ride a Spyder and I know for many the Spyder has opened the doors for those who may not be so fortunate. Why I ride the Spyder is because it's unique, it's comfortable, it has lot's of storage, it draws a crowd everywhere you go, it's a great all weather ride with the added safety of the third wheel, but mostly I ride the Spyder because it's just a ton of fun to ride. It's not better or worst than a bike but it's different and I like different much like a four wheeler is different than a dirtbike. I've been riding Spyders since 2007 and lost track of how many miles I have on them now and how many times I've crossed the country on them but I know that I'm ready to kick off 2014 on the new RT-S and add at least another 30K next year to my Spyder adventures.

So the question to you is Why We SpyderLovers Ride

Please post your reasons here for us all to read.

Spyder Garage

Default Well stated

I'll sum up why as follows: I agree with you 100%. Nuff said, time to ride...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We ride; to stay young!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting how you feel about the sport. My first was similar to yours--a 1965 Yamaha 80--one lunger.

After that first motorcycle, the rest is history. Hard to explain--but there is just something about riding in the open air. Seeing the country from a cycle is so much better than from a cage. From that first 80cc cycle, it was then a quest for bigger and "better". 250, 305, 350, 400, 450, 650, 750, 800, 900, 1000, 1500, 2000, 998, and soon 1330. I have had the pleasure and privilege to ride and own over 40 assorted motorcycles since 1965. I never met one I did not like--although the 2000cc Kawi Vulcan was a handful for me (too heavy) in my later years.

When first came out (2008), I bought one because it was new and innovative. Never thought that I would lose my ability to ride on two. 2012 brought that to reality as I said farewell to my last two wheeler, the 900 Kawi Vulcan. still enables me to ryde and contuinue to enjoy the sport that has been my passion all my life. Currently, I have to walk with either a walking stick or walker, but that does not stop me from ryding the . I am also looking forward to what 2014 will bring. Here's to many more years for all of us.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-19-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't add much more than that. I started with a Honda Super 90 back in 1969. Had a ball on that thing. Rode many types and sizes of motorcycles. I got out of riding for many years. When I wanted to get back in, Kris said no problem. But she wouldn't ride with me. She has a fear of two wheels. I didn't think it was fair for me to be back in the wind while she stayed behind. So I started looking. I did have a two wheeler, a Kaw 900 Vulcan. But I wanted her to enjoy the open road too. I test drove the Tri Glide, but didn't care for it. I looked at the Gold Wing trike. Nice, smooth, comfortable. But way out of my price range. One night I saw a 30 minute program on Speed Channel. It was Fred Rau riding an RT on the coast road in California. I knew I wanted to try that. I saw one at the local dealer. Stopped to look. Liked what I saw. Took Kris to see it. She liked what she saw. Two weeks later the 2010 RTS was in our garage. Took me some time to learn how to drive it. We had the first RTS in the area. I wasn't prepared for the star status. Then one day I asked Kris if she wanted to learn how to drive it. Two years later, we have two. We love to ride. To be out in the wind. We love to ride with friends. We love toy runs. We love charity runs. Most of all, we love to get out and just go. We've met a lot of nice folks and made new friends. And we found Spyderlovers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    We ride; to stay young!!
    agreed with bob ....To stay young !!!!

Spyder Garage

I was at a woodworker’s seminar this summer and was talking to a young lady about the spyder. She seamed amazed that I was the one riding it. Somewhere in the conversion she asked “What are you doing on that thing”. The answer was simple. “I’m just an old man out having fun”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I gotta agree with "chisel"(with a major addition to it) an old man and old lady, just having fun! i'll go one other thing that is unique to the open air concept and that is, we both enjoy the smell or scents of the areas we ride in. there's nothing like the smell of fresh balsam or douglas fir while riding in the Adirondacks, or the smell of campfires while driving by campgrounds. Nothing compares to fresh cut grass or hay as you pass the pastures and meadows in Vermont and the rest of New England. the smell of the ocean and salt water in NH and Maine rank right up there as well. I could go on and on, but you get the point!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like to eat bugs, bees, & insects, small birds will also be welcomed!! I ride because it feels good and has felt good since 1968.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

One word...FREEDOM.

Fire up the , hear the Two Bros Racing muffler sing that baritone note I love so much, and life's troubles instantly begin to melt away.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Because now I can't NOT ride.

Spyder Garage

We started out in Pontiac, Michigan in 1973. I was working with Andy Anderson at Anderson's Motor Sales on his ad program (I was the ad manager at the local newspaper) and while waiting to see him sat on a couple of bikes in the showroom. Two week's later my wife and I rolled out of there with two Honda CB 360T's. Andy's part of the deal was to also teach us to ride so we wheeled round his back lot for a few hours to get a sense of comfort before having them delivered home.

We had a vacant lot next door to our home and that became our learning track for a few weeks before we ventured on the road. Once we felt street-ready we added fairings, side bags, CB's (23 channel back in those days) and a few other farkles. Penny even wrote an article for Touring Bike Magazine about the challenges of being a lady biker in the early 70's.

From there we moved on to matching Suzuki GS 1000's nicely dressed out. My next was the first Honda Aspencade delivered in Ohio in late 1981. Lot's of different iron from there including an AMF Harley that is best forgotten.... more Suzukis....some Yamahas, a Valkyrie Interstate for me, a triked Burgman for her..... and then..... Boom! Her first ride on a Can Am RT! It is hard to negotiate a price when your wife wants to get it out the door and ride.

Finally I joined the fun with a 2011 RT to go with her 2010 RT. Now we plan to put about 30,000 miles or so (we're over half way there) on the 2012's and perhaps by 2015 we'll be ready to change again.

We ride because we can and we hope we can for a long, long time to come.
    Last edited by Pennyrick; 12-18-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

1966, i had a Jawa 175, hooked ever since. I ride a spyder ........... Because i am lucky enough to be able to afford one.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

aka Buffalo Bill
    Spyder Garage

We ride for the therapy of it. After all the aggravations of work and life, when we ride the stress just melts away.

Spyder Garage

Double Trouble, I was born and grew up in Pontiac, Andy's service manager, Paul, lived down the block from me, and got me started on a Cushman Pacemaker. That was when the shop was on Paddock, then they moved to Pike, just around the corner from the old shop, and then to Telegraph. I bought my first Spyder from Motor City, who took it over when Andy passed.
    Anyway, all this started for me in 1954, and I've been on and around bikes ever since. Bikes, and now Spyders, have been good things for me.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    I gotta agree with "chisel"(with a major addition to it) an old man and old lady, just having fun! i'll go one other thing that is unique to the open air concept and that is, we both enjoy the smell or scents of the areas we ride in. there's nothing like the smell of fresh balsam or douglas fir while riding in the Adirondacks, or the smell of campfires while driving by campgrounds. Nothing compares to fresh cut grass or hay as you pass the pastures and meadows in Vermont and the rest of New England. the smell of the ocean and salt water in NH and Maine rank right up there as well. I could go on and on, but you get the point!!!
    In addition, when I was looking to buy new, the Mrs. said she liked the white one and now, what I thought might be an impediment to our life, certainly has become just the opposite. Not sure who loves the smells, sights and comfort more...but all I can say is Ryde on and be safe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ride because it makes me happy. If I had a dollar for every time I've caught myself with a big ole grin on my face, just because I was in the wind, I wouldn't have bothered buying a lottery ticket this week!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Ryde

I ride because it's fun. I had my first ride on the back of a Vincent black Shawdow in 1960 or so and have liked bikes
    ever since. This first one I owned was a 1965 Honda 305 Dream. Some lady pulled out in front of me and I crashed it.
    But that did not stop me from riding. The list below is what I have had since I started. I now have 2800+ miles on the Spyder and and liking it more and more.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

With no physical limitation and being in my early 30s, I ride a spyder because it is different and lots of fun. I have been there, done the 2 wheels and bought the t-shirts. I still have my v-star classic sitting in the garage but I can't get myself to ride it. Riding the spyder makes me happy, I feel safer and I am always smiling under my helmet while I ride. What can I say.....the is the next level for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Because I can choose to bounce my way through dirt, drag a knee through a corner, or cruise to a weekend rendezvous with my sweetie on three wheels, all for the price of a medium priced family sedan.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I am looking forward to seeing Why We Ride, but more for enjoyment than inspiration. I was already a veteran rider and racer when On Any Sunday came out, but I enjoyed it thoroughly and related to it nicely. If the new movie is anywhere near as good, it wil convey the joy and contentment we feel when we ride. I have driven, ridden, boated, and flown...and nothing compares to the wind in your face in the open air. Those of us who ride understand it, and it can't be explained to those who don't. Our motivations and rewards often differ, but we all love the same thing no matter what the reasons.

I think the main reason the Spyder is my preferred mode of open-air travel is The mental thing that Lamont referred to. Even though it may be physically more demanding than two wheels, at the end of the day I am less tired and more likely to enjoy the company of friends or see the sights than if traveling by bike. It really is less mentally fatiguing...especially in bad weather. I also had become quite uncomfortable riding two-up on two wheels. As I aged it was harder to keep the bike upright in certain situations, and I feared my diminishing skills and physical prowess might cause me to hurt my wife one day. When she got her Spyder we didn't have to ride two-up any longer...but we missed it. The RT filled the void and allowed us to travel together when we wished. Another plus is the ability of the Spydedr to tow a trailer. While it can be done with a bike, it isn't as easy, and I am not as comfortable. Now I don't think twice about hitching up one of the trailers.

Add in riding a somewhat unique and striking vehicle, the safety features, the weather protection, the stability, and the satisfaction of mastering riding a different type of vehicle, and the Spyder is a sure winner for me. It fits me to a "T" and I am thankful that BRP brought it to the market at just the right time in my life. I always wanted a big tourer, but didn't care for the bulk and the awkward slow speed handling two-up. The Spyder filled the bill with none of the difficulties.

Spyder Garage

Didn't grow up with motorcycles. First time I rode a mini-bike, it went into a rose bush. Nuff said about that.

Got married, raised a son, in the late '90s, Hubbies job transfered us to Brisbane, Australia. Earned a license to pilot an ultralight, a Drifter. Loved getting my face in the wind! The Drifter is a taildragger and I was able to land that puppy in a 40 knot crosswind. Decided straight and level flying wasn't for me and started on my road to aerobatics. (The Drifter is a rag wing, cable sort of plane that was so draggy it couldn't reach VNE. Think of all the possibilities!) Adrenalin rush!!!

Got back to the states, went to school and got an A&P, to be able to build my Drifter. Went to work for a Raytheon service center. Alas, FAA (vs. CASA in Oz) states the Drifter is a "fat" ultralight and illegal. Sigh...

Worked for my PPL at Harvey and Reines. Debra Reines is a world class aerobatic flyer with many world titles. Love looking at her plane. I was able to take 9 G's without greying out. Flew a Citabria (aerobatic tail dragger with grunt) and had a few wrestling matches on cross wind landing with my instructor. LOL So much money going out... not saying it was my idea to leave that behind me...

Stayed working at the hangar because I loved wrenching and loved my boys. Great guys!

One Father's day Hubby stated he wanted a Harley. "Umm, if you get one, I get one." Learned to ride on his Deuce, got my own and relearned to ride on a Springer with buckhorns. Changed that to some apes somewhere down the road.

Got sick, couldn't ride two wheelies anymore. Another sigh...

Found the Spyder and it wasn't till that time in Gatlinburg, (you know who you are who are, ahead and behind me) that I felt that I was truly flying once again!

Yup, I'm a adrenalin junkie...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why..!!

because it is an escape. I can ryde roads anywhere and feel like I am anywhere but there. I can leave the world behind and enjoy what god carved out up close and personal. I can meet people out there doing the same thing and we can enjoy each other. One has to let go and get out there to really know for it is way more than wind in you face and bugs on your teeth...I hope all can enjoy it as much we do...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Why?

Never "captained" my own motorcycle. Only rode as passenger 3 times before my 70th BD..2 bad experiences #3 must have been good as I have no memories of that ride. Owned a Jeep and never put the top up...winter just bundled up like the abominable snowman and hit the road. Age 70 bucket list had a motorcycle on it...knew 2 wheels would be a death date for me..started looking at HD trike..great salesman asked what I wanted and I answered stability...he directed me toward the Spyder. Found on internet...found Spyderlovers.com...found a dealer in IL that would deal and had the silver RT I wanted. Purchased sight unseen...delivered to my house Memorial weekend 2010...the first few days was learning R and F (aka 1st) and to remember to set parking brake before turning off key...then a couple weeks of 5 a.m. sneaks up to WalMart parking lot (2 miles from home)...finally able to shift (not correctly way under rpm's)..at 3rd gear found a Evergreen course in Yakima, WA (3.5 hr ryde one way)...literally drove there under 45 mph on backroads, side of road...whatever so I wouldn't create a traffic "mess" .. graduated course...felt confident as King Kong..freewayed home...75 mph felt goooooooodddddd....and 70K miles later it all is GREAT...
    Why do I ryde? I can come up with words but they reallllly don't describe the depth of joy, freedom, power, pleasure I feel when I ryde Ms Spyder. I started with NO knowledge, no mechanical ability [now I have just enough in both areas to be a pain in the butt to myself and others!!!) I ryde because I can...I ryde because I just love to..
    And not the least of is I ryde because of the Spyder and the wonderful folks "she" has attracted to me...Spyderlovers, you, top that list. You are .