Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Ceramic exhaust ...

... was discussed here in great details. You may want to read this thread first before you start doing it:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...eramic+exhaust

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Barlock View Post
    ... was discussed here in great details. You may want to read this thread first before you start doing it:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...eramic+exhaust
    Thanks for the link. Just like the typical post on this forum, there is no agreement or general consensus on the issue. I did do my own research about ceramic coating and it clearly has advantages. Now whether those advantages will be realized on the Spyder is a different story, but while I have everything torn apart, I plan to do it and hope for the best. I am not doing the spray or the wrap. I'm having them professionally coated inside and out. Besides, I am not having any heat issues, so even if it does not reduce heat, then I'll never know. I'm doing it solely for peace of mind. For the cost of the bike, I'm not worried about flushing $200 down the toilet if there are no noticeable results.

Spyder Garage

The ISCI front brake came in this week. After inspecting the components, I can say that this is a very high quality and what should be, durable product. I want to thank ISCI because I ordered this just before they announced their holiday discount. I contacted them to see if I could be grandfathered in and they promptly refunded me the 15%. I thought that was pretty awesome. I was having trouble deciding to make this purchase due to the $1395 price tag, but now seeing the quality of the product in person and adding the discount to it, I have no regrets and am looking forward to getting it installed.

ISCI Front Brake.jpg

Spyder Garage

The Spyder1Attitude cat bypass came in this week as well. It does have a high heat paint applied to it, but I am going to have it ceramic coated along with the header pipes. Getting rid of the cat will not only reduce the heat, but allow the engine to breath the way it should. Between this, the Akrapovic exhaust and the PCV with AutoTune, I imagine I will have a significant torque and HP increase.

Cat Bypass.jpg

Spyder Garage

The last of the items have now showed up. The PCV was actually on backorder and they held off shipping me the AutoTune until it came in. I think I did real good as far as pricing goes. Retail on the PCV is $499 and I paid $364. Retail on the AutoTune is $400 and I paid $305. I hope to have time over the holidays to get the headers ripped off, have the O2 bungs welded in and get the headers and cat bypass ceramic coated.

Spyder PCV.jpg Spyder AutoTune.jpg

Spyder Garage

This is what's keeping me from tearing into the Spyder. It's my 2012 CRF250R. My three sons and I all belong to an MX club and we ride every Saturday from April through October. I need to get it back together to get the table space for the Spyder. At this point, everything is cleaned, greased and just needs to be assembled.

CRF250R-1.jpg CRF250R-2.jpg

Spyder Garage

Now that I've got some time off over the holidays, I started to tear into the Spyder. The first thing I wanted to do was remove the entire exhaust system so that I could get the header pipes and cat bypass pipe dropped off to my local shop to have them ceramic coated. Once I had all of the tupperware pulled off, this is what I saw.

This was the view from the right side of the engine:

Spyder - Right Side - Before - 1.jpg

This was the view from the left side of the engine:

Spyder - Left Side - Before - 1.jpg

It was then that I decided that the KewlMetal air filter kit was a MUST. The resonator on the left side pulled out fairly easily, but getting the gigantic air box out took much time and patience. I had to remove both left and right side frame rails as well. It was a total pain, but worth it in the end.

Here is what the right side looks like now. You can easily get to the header pipe as well as the front cylinder spark plug and wire.

Spyder - Right Side - After - 1.jpg Spyder - Right Side - After - 2.jpg

Here is the left side - nothing but room to work now.

Spyder - Left Side - After - 1.jpg

The only thing that I don't like about the KewlMetal kit is that is uses air from within the tupperware and others who have measured this have stated that it runs 5-10 degrees higher than the air drawn by the stock air box. However, since I am adding a PCV with AutoTune, I do not see this as an issue.

Lastly, after seeing how packed everything is under the tupperware, how on earth can you get any air circulating underneath there? I know I've seen numerous threads talking about how to get air moving in there, but I don't see how you can unless you remove the OEM air box and resonator. The entire top and front of the engine compartment is now wide open.