Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Winterizing in Washington State

Good morning all,This will be my first winter with my 2012 Spyder RT-S SE5 and I was wondering what I need to do for winterizing it. I live in SW Washington and tend to ride around my local area when I get the chance(hopefully this summer I will be able to take a extended ride when I get some time off). Most winters are fairly mild in my area so there might be a few days here and there when I can get it out on the road. My spyder is garaged full time so is a full winterization needed? I would appreciate any advice the group could offer.ThanksSpyderfitter

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome Spyderfitter

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderfitter View Post
    Good morning all,This will be my first winter with my 2012 Spyder RT-S SE5 and I was wondering what I need to do for winterizing it. I live in SW Washington and tend to ride around my local area when I get the chance(hopefully this summer I will be able to take a extended ride when I get some time off). Most winters are fairly mild in my area so there might be a few days here and there when I can get it out on the road. My spyder is garaged full time so is a full winterization needed? I would appreciate any advice the group could offer.ThanksSpyderfitter
    Since I'm on the "cold" side of our state my winterizing may differ from yours. I am still ryding...altho when I got up it was only 16' at my place...but up to a balmy 20' and blue skies...so because I have cold weather ryding gear...Ms Spyder and I will do a trip today. This time of year I only do day/local rydes because I choose not to ryde in snow/ice. OK back to winterizing..when that white stuff comes and sticks. I will top of gas...add Stabil....check tires...park in garage...on mats so tires are "off" the concrete (garage not heated)...then I plug in the battery tender....about every 4 weeks...I will back her out of garage and start up...let run for about 10 min. shut down and go back to the hibernation mode...This is how I do it...doesn't make it right...but so far it has worked and she has been ready to go when I can finally get out of my driveway. Good luck and hope to see you at the Heart of Washington Ride on June 6,7,8
    Have an awesome Thanksgiving...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well now..!!

you have a different situation as you will be ryding during the winter from time to time. Still pretty much the same. Keep the tank full with a stabilizer, change oil and filter at least at the beginning of the season and put it on the tender from time to time. Cover etc will be optional...good luck and I hope you have many of those opportunities during the winter...!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Put stabilizer in the fuel, top off the tank to minimize condensation, put the Spyder on a battery tender, and don't start the Spyder unless you intend to ride it long enough to get it hot and go through the gears. I'd say 10-15 minutes minimum, with a little highway riding thrown in. Depending on where you store, rodent control measures may be in order. If the storage is unheated, do not cover the Spyder, condensation under the cover can be damaging. I no longer change the oil before storage, if using synthetics...especially if I ride the machine periodically. A good cleaning and a coat of "wax" before storage isn't a bad idea, either.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm a West-Sider as well (Port Orchard) and I don't have the benefit of an enclosed garage. Our spyder lives under cover and on a dirt/gravel bed. My winter regimen consists of Battery Tender, full tank of fuel and ride it as often as possible. Our garden tractor and ATV survive the winter in essentially similar conditions.

Regards,

Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Put stabilizer in the fuel, top off the tank to minimize condensation, put the Spyder on a battery tender, and don't start the Spyder unless you intend to ride it long enough to get it hot and go through the gears. I'd say 10-15 minutes minimum, with a little highway riding thrown in. Depending on where you store, rodent control measures may be in order. If the storage is unheated, do not cover the Spyder, condensation under the cover can be damaging. I no longer change the oil before storage, if using synthetics...especially if I ride the machine periodically. A good cleaning and a coat of "wax" before storage isn't a bad idea, either.

And I keep my Spyder in an one of my out buildings and I use rat & mouse bate and pan of water with RV anti-freeze in it. When the short furry folks get into any of the buildings they die before they get into eating wires, getting in air intakes, or other things. They take the bate, they go to the water and die in the pan. It's makes for easy clean up. That's IMHO.

Mike