Thread: Brake squealing

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake squealing

Just curious about a squealing noise whenever I push the bike backwards or forwards (engine turned off). It is easy to push, and the brakes do not appear to be binding. Took it to the dealer because it was also reading brake failure on my screen. Dealer says they are unrelated and brake fluid needed topping up. Dealer also says the squealing is normal and they all do it!!!! Can anyone confirm this is true? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by bulldog bob; 11-13-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Gave more info.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog bob View Post
    Dealer also says the squealing is normal and they all do it!!!
    That is not true. Is there a different dealer in Red Deer? If there is, I suggest you get a second opinion.
    Last edited by Barlock; 11-13-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default dont take that for an answer ever

no brake should squeal, for any reason. other than that it is letting you know that the brakes are going out, or that there is something wrong with the brakes them selves. take it elsewhere to have it checked out and if it is bad have it fixed that could be a safety issue.

Spyder Garage

Oh, and welcome to Spyderhood!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine has done it 3 times in 1500 miles. Everything checks out so i'd guess it's the type of pad they are using. Some have squealing and some don't but I think it's minimal amongst the group.

Spyder Garage

Just curious about a squealing noise whenever I push the bike backwards or forwards (engine turned off). It is easy to push, and the brakes do not appear to be binding. Took it to the dealer because it was also reading brake failure on my screen. Dealer says they are unrelated and brake fluid needed topping up. Dealer also says the squealing is normal and they all do it!!!! Can anyone confirm this is true? Thanks in advance for any help.
    They should not make noise, but many do. It has more to do with design than with any inherent problem with the braking system. There are things that you can do to lessen if not cure it altogether.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ours do it if they sit for a while. After some ryding they seem to quit doing it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you happen to pop the rear pads out; a bit of bevelling on their leading and trailing edges, will work magic...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Squealing doesn't necessarily indicate there's a problem with the system. Often it's just brake dust behind the pad.
    SBS adhesive pad shims are my cure-all for noisy brakes.

sbs9500f.jpg

They totally solved my Suzuki's horrible brake noise, and I have a set I need to put on SZ-Spydie's RT, which squeals like a pig at any speed under 20 MPH.

http://www.amazon.com/SBS-Brake-Pad-.../dp/B006RA9E90

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem on my 2013 RT LTD on the rear wheel. Took the bike to my dealer and waited about 1/2 hour. The service tech told me that he reset the rear brake pads & slightly chamfered the edges of the pads, which solved the problem. Hope that your fix is as easy.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I had the same problem on my 2013 RT LTD on the rear wheel. Took the bike to my dealer and waited about 1/2 hour. The service tech told me that he reset the rear brake pads & slightly chamfered the edges of the pads, which solved the problem. Hope that your fix is as easy.
    Glad to hear that this old, "dirtbike trick" worked!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black