Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Poor C B transmission and reception

I have a 2013 R T Limited and had the dealer install the C B unit along with the upgraded J & M C B antenna but I get poor reception and very short transmission range . Would appreciate any thoughts on possible cause or solution. Thanks for any help. The CB is set on DX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is no solution. Poor reception and short transmission is normal. I added the J&M antenna and my CB went from horrible to poor. LX might cut out some bleed over.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 08-29-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Has the antenna been matched? An SWR meter is needed to do so.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It comes pre-matched and verified it with a SWR meter. I then called Radio Sound with the readings and they stated it was within the acceptable limits.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 08-29-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Pre-matched? No such thing. Maybe if they have a resistor paralleled to the aerial itself, basically acting as a dummy load and soak up half the signal. More than half, likely, since the aerial itself is still badly mismatched and hardly radiating any signal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"This new kit from J&M includes a pre-tuned, (no SWR tuning necessary) 3’, top-loaded CB antenna staff, replacement CB antenna brass mounting block and complete installation instructions."

However, I did use a SWR meter at the end of installation. 1.8 at ch#1, 1.6 at ch#40 each end and 1.7 at ch#20
    Last edited by stevedfive; 08-30-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

It's impossible to pretune an antenna with any accuracy. Must be done after antenna is installed on vehicle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not disagreeing with you guys, only quoting the statement on their website.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    Not disagreeing with you guys, only quoting the statement on their website.
    Find someone that can tune your antenna, preferably outside away from buildings and other cars, trucks,etc. You might also sit on the bike in normal riding position while they tune it. You would be suprised at how something so small can have such a great effect on reflected power.
    Good luck with getting it to work.

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

I asked Lyn @ Pitbull Power Sports if their was a fix for the BRP CB & he said it's junk and their's no fix for it. I have never been pleased with mine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CruiseRT View Post
    Find someone that can tune your antenna, preferably outside away from buildings and other cars, trucks,etc. You might also sit on the bike in normal riding position while they tune it. You would be suprised at how something so small can have such a great effect on reflected power.
    Good luck with getting it to work.
    I am betting there is a dummy load resistor paralleled into the antenna circuit, a lot of "all band" restricted space amateur antennas have done the same thing, it keeps the SWR under 2:1 across the band. but doesn't radiate much. In the best case scenario, where the antenna itself presents a perfect match without the loading resistor, you get 50 percent of your signal radiated out of the aerial, and the aerial itself is a poor radiator. Also, a poor antenna is equally bad at receiving as it is in transmitting.

Spyder Garage

NO Fix for a CB Radio that cost sooooo much? Well My wifes Cb has the same problems as all of you. Yes I'M old school and understand SWRs and how to set and test. BUt the dealer has no idea how to test or repair my 2012 RT Limited. Dealer to call BRP. but I here it is a waste of time. Anyone want to get a lawer and do a group thing on BRP? I want a working CB or all my money back. Installed CB in May 2013 Failed in Sept.

Spyder Garage

Some of the problem could be that the antenna is mounted on plastic, an antenna needs metal at the base to create a ground plane. Maybe a small sheet of metal, what ever size, more the better, could be made to fit under the plastic at the base of the antenna would help. You can see this if the antenna does not tune correctly, then add a metal base and try again, it would probably tune better. You could get the old ball and spring antenna and mount to your trailer hitch, they work alot better but looks could be a problem. I really don't think any brand of radio will work very good unless you can get a good ground plane for the antenna.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Default Long range for these units is measured in feet or yards under normal conditions

Edit: No ground plane and limited channel use for optimum prformance. The channels nearer the center of the dial will perform better than those at the ends of the dial.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/ngp_coax_len.htm

Like stevedfive says. They come pre tuned.

Here's a link that'll most likely answer all your CB questions.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 11-12-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The CB on my 02 Goldwing was not much either. Bluetooth and cell phone is the new way. Getting close and yelling is the old way