Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    depending on what they find with my bike today when it goes in, i might just give them the bike on consignment to sell for me being they don't want it on a trade in. i have been giving this a lot of thought and i am really not happy. i would never sell the bike to someone because i don't want any complaints if something goes wrong, so it might be better off to let a dealer handle it.
    It is pretty obvious that this really has weighed heavily on you. Best of luck in whatever the next few days bring.

Spyder Garage

john, wait until the 2014's hit the showroom floor, and visit another dealer. My concern would be, if your feet are that sensitive to the heat, maybe the spyder is not the way to go unless the 2014 RT gives off no heat. We wont know that until a bunch of people log some miles on them. I feel your pain on what to do....its just sucks.
    Last edited by spyder3; 10-15-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

depending on what they find with my bike today when it goes in, i might just give them the bike on consignment to sell for me being they don't want it on a trade in. i have been giving this a lot of thought and i am really not happy. i would never sell the bike to someone because i don't want any complaints if something goes wrong, so it might be better off to let a dealer handle it.
    hang in there john and see what the fix is. who knows, maybe, just maybe they'll get their act together and make it right for you. either by fixing yours (hopefully more than a bandaid) or by making an offer to those of you with major problems, on a new an improved 2014. class action suits are nothing they (brp) will want to get involved in, and i'm sure there is enough animosity revving up to get one going!! good luck bro!!! keep us posted.

Spyder Garage

Default handling

=RBS66;705932]John
    I also have some issues with my 2013 RT purchased on August 23. When I first received the bike the highbeam would not stay on my air ride suspension had a leak and then 10 days later I got a recall letter. I was also experiencing gas fumes when parked in my garage and excessive heat coming from my glovebox area. To the point where the foam is separating from the liner inside the glove box. The backbone of the bike under the seat after a one hour ride is extremely hot to the touch. I am also having some handling issues side side sway and the bike seems to be hunting and riding rough even at 5000 RPMs. Not a comfortable ride like others have stated on spyderlovers.
    So I took it into my dealer at my 600 mile service, They replaced the left-hand module for the highbeam, Did the recall, And thought they fixed the air ride suspension. They did not smell the gas fumes and also said that these bikes run hot and that is normal. Well the air ride suspension needed to be replaced and they had my bike for six days, Now that is corrected. While at the dealer they smell the gas fumes and replaced my evaporation canister, Still have some fumes but not as bad as before. At that point I also asked him to take my bike for a test ride to see how they thought it handled since I've never ridden any other but the one I test drove at the dealership. When I got there on Saturday to pick up my bike service manager said he didn't have a chance to test ride he just pulled it around from the back so I could test ride it myself and see what I thought. I left the dealer and lost faith in them for not test riding my bike when I told them I was having handling issues. I also have gas spots from drippings on my driveway (i'm just going to ignore that).
    Now now I have an appointment at Blackmans in Emmaus PA. This Friday. To have a laser alignment and a Bajala Ron swaybar installed(my dealer does not have a laser alignment system). RIGHT NOW I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING THROUGH A TRIAL AND ERROR Period. Which I feel I shouldn't have to be doing after spending a large amount of money on a brand-new bike. I've had other issues with other brand-new vehicles that I've owned but the dealer always seem to be able to correct those issues. THIS SEEMS LIKE A CRAPSHOOT AND A LOT OF GUESSING.
    IT IS VERY SAD that people here are annoyed by people talking about their issues especially on a site that is dedicated to just SPYDERS. I feel that people should be able to take the good with the bad.
    I know this is a long post but this is the truth and this is what is happening in my situation I can't speak for all other situations but this is mine if I can't talk about it on this site then maybe I will just stop coming here.

THANK YOU ROB[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

I had bad handling problems with my 2011. Had alignment done and increased front tire pressure to 20 lbs. Solved problem. Have had no problems with my 2013.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default dropped bike off

i got there and it was early so the service manager was sitting in his car, i asked him to look at the temp. gauge and he said that's not that hot, and i said it's 57 degrees out. so he told me they are trying a new anti freeze in the bikes now, so i also told him about the lil oil leak i found, and the cruise was not working. so than i go in to sign in and i hear the salesman talking on the phone with someone looking for a spyder, i said sell him mine for 19k. the guy said he would of taken it if it was black but he didn't want yellow. so i was waiting for my friend to pick me up and i decided right there and than, i said i don't want the bike back, put it on the floor on consignment and get me 19k for it. so that was my decision if they were only going to change anti freeze so now i have no bike.

Spyder Garage

i got there and it was early so the service manager was sitting in his car, i asked him to look at the temp. gauge and he said that's not that hot, and i said it's 57 degrees out. so he told me they are trying a new anti freeze in the bikes now, so i also told him about the lil oil leak i found, and the cruise was not working. so than i go in to sign in and i hear the salesman talking on the phone with someone looking for a spyder, i said sell him mine for 19k. the guy said he would of taken it if it was black but he didn't want yellow. so i was waiting for my friend to pick me up and i decided right there and than, i said i don't want the bike back, put it on the floor on consignment and get me 19k for it. so that was my decision if they were only going to change anti freeze so now i have no bike.
    That was a fast decision. Not much more I can add.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default not really

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    That was a fast decision. Not much more I can add.
    i have been thinking about it and being the cooler weather is coming and i am hurting, feet and left leg i decided to try to see if i could off the bike. and i know i would only get madder if all they did was change the anti freeze and i still had the heat problem. there is only so much i can take b4 i go off big time on people and i know the louder you scream the less the people listen to you. so best i make the move now and decide if i want to try another spyder or give up riding.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

i have been thinking about it and being the cooler weather is coming and i am hurting, feet and left leg i decided to try to see if i could off the bike. and i know i would only get madder if all they did was change the anti freeze and i still had the heat problem. there is only so much i can take b4 i go off big time on people and i know the louder you scream the less the people listen to you. so best i make the move now and decide if i want to try another spyder or give up riding.

Sorry for your trials and tribulations. But all in all sounds like you have a personal resolution and that is a good thing. No need to let this incident have a detrimental effect on your well being.

Will you you be able to return the Vertika stuff?

Wait till the 2014s come out and give them a shot. Maybe wait a couple of months to buy. That puts you in prime riding season in NY. Others in warm areas will be riding and reporting.

And if all else fails,,, there are alternatives. I am enjoying mine! I tried giving up riding. Now THAT didn't work!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default not sure

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Sorry for your trials and tribulations. But all in all sounds like you have a personal resolution and that is a good thing. No need to let this incident have a detrimental effect on your well being.

Will you you be able to return the Vertika stuff?

Wait till the 2014s come out and give them a shot. Maybe wait a couple of months to buy. That puts you in prime riding season in NY. Others in warm areas will be riding and reporting.

And if all else fails,,, there are alternatives. I am enjoying mine! I tried giving up riding. Now THAT didn't work!
    the vents are on their way and the paint came today so i am not sure but i will give someone on here a great deal if i decide to sell the vents and paint, who knows my bike may never sell,

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by soepy View Post
    =RBS66;705932]John
    I also have some issues with my 2013 RT purchased on August 23. When I first received the bike the highbeam would not stay on my air ride suspension had a leak and then 10 days later I got a recall letter. I was also experiencing gas fumes when parked in my garage and excessive heat coming from my glovebox area. To the point where the foam is separating from the liner inside the glove box. The backbone of the bike under the seat after a one hour ride is extremely hot to the touch. I am also having some handling issues side side sway and the bike seems to be hunting and riding rough even at 5000 RPMs. Not a comfortable ride like others have stated on spyderlovers.
    So I took it into my dealer at my 600 mile service, They replaced the left-hand module for the highbeam, Did the recall, And thought they fixed the air ride suspension. They did not smell the gas fumes and also said that these bikes run hot and that is normal. Well the air ride suspension needed to be replaced and they had my bike for six days, Now that is corrected. While at the dealer they smell the gas fumes and replaced my evaporation canister, Still have some fumes but not as bad as before. At that point I also asked him to take my bike for a test ride to see how they thought it handled since I've never ridden any other but the one I test drove at the dealership. When I got there on Saturday to pick up my bike service manager said he didn't have a chance to test ride he just pulled it around from the back so I could test ride it myself and see what I thought. I left the dealer and lost faith in them for not test riding my bike when I told them I was having handling issues. I also have gas spots from drippings on my driveway (i'm just going to ignore that).
    Now now I have an appointment at Blackmans in Emmaus PA. This Friday. To have a laser alignment and a Bajala Ron swaybar installed(my dealer does not have a laser alignment system). RIGHT NOW I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING THROUGH A TRIAL AND ERROR Period. Which I feel I shouldn't have to be doing after spending a large amount of money on a brand-new bike. I've had other issues with other brand-new vehicles that I've owned but the dealer always seem to be able to correct those issues. THIS SEEMS LIKE A CRAPSHOOT AND A LOT OF GUESSING.
    IT IS VERY SAD that people here are annoyed by people talking about their issues especially on a site that is dedicated to just SPYDERS. I feel that people should be able to take the good with the bad.
    I know this is a long post but this is the truth and this is what is happening in my situation I can't speak for all other situations but this is mine if I can't talk about it on this site then maybe I will just stop coming here.

THANK YOU ROB
    [/QUOTE]

Anyone who has paid the price of admission (purchased a spyder) has every right to publicly speak of their personal experience. Just keep it real and ignore those who have no tolerance for facts.

Hope things get better for you

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 problem thread

Sir. I am owner of 2013 ST-S and have extreme heat issues as well as the steering problems. I would really like to know how the consignment goes. I am looking for some options. Probably let the Spyder go rather than spending more money on trying to make it do what it is supposed to do. Pretty disappointed with the vehicle. Extreme heat, gas drops on floor, oil drops on floor dealers say they all do that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default consignment

Quote Originally Posted by charles4690 View Post
    Sir. I am owner of 2013 ST-S and have extreme heat issues as well as the steering problems. I would really like to know how the consignment goes. I am looking for some options. Probably let the Spyder go rather than spending more money on trying to make it do what it is supposed to do. Pretty disappointed with the vehicle. Extreme heat, gas drops on floor, oil drops on floor dealers say they all do that.
    if it sells i will let you know, it could of gone today if it was black BUT you never know what may happen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John,
    Here's to hoping that you can find an acceptable conclusion to what has become a personal nightmare for you!
    Please keep us in the loop!
    We may have to work out a Springtime meeting if you want to try out a 2014... mine will be available, if you want to sling a leg over it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default credit due

no not that kind of credit, i got a follow up call from steve from brp to see if my bike was being worked on today, so if you read this steve thanks because i appreciate the call, but he did seem a lil surprised when i told him that i asked the dealer to sell the bike for me, but he was going to call the dealer to see what is going on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP should sent us all the tape to do our own fuel tank wraps. This way they will save money.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think that their legal department would allow them to do that...
    They'd have no idea as to the qualifications of the folks getting handed the wrap!
    But I DO kind of like your idea!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default courious

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I don't think that their legal department would allow them to do that...
    They'd have no idea as to the qualifications of the folks getting handed the wrap!
    But I DO kind of like your idea!
    i will call or go to the dealer tomorrow to see what readings they got on my bike today and bring the factory seat to have them change it for me so i can get the comfort seat i bought as a extra, i had already taken the clock/outside temp and volt gauges off the bike with the vented windshield.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck, John!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I know I've said this before but I haven't seen anything that would persuade me otherwise, just the opposite.

Not taking BRP's side here, just trying to look at the facts objectively. And admittedly, there are some design flaws that I'm not trying to overlook (i.e. the MC taking way too much heat - Ray Charles could have seen that one coming).

But if the overall heating issue were a design flaw, then everyone would be suffering the same. But the fact is there are at least some, if not most, who are not having this much trouble. Design flaws are much more consistent than this.

And I know I've said this before as well, but it seems to me that much of this excessive heat on the problem 2013's might be traced back to a very lean fuel mix. That will really heat things up in a hurry.

So you could have everything exactly the same from front to back, run one engine rich, run another just right, and the 3rd one very lean, and the 1st 2 would run much cooler than the 3rd. We are talking a potential of a few hundred degrees difference in the exhaust gas temperatures. (Sounds like a story I read once about some girl and a few bears - but I digress...).

Anyway, speculation is great fun but we are all looking forward to what your diagnosis comes up with.

I, for one, am not complaining about the complaining, as long as the idea is a reasoned approach to a permanent solution. That's something we can all get behind.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head!We have been down a similar road with the 2008s.I suggest that the people with heat issues pull their plugs take a picture of them and post them in this thread.If your Spyder is running excessively lean than just insulating everything is not solving the problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I know I've said this before but I haven't seen anything that would persuade me otherwise, just the opposite.

Not taking BRP's side here, just trying to look at the facts objectively. And admittedly, there are some design flaws that I'm not trying to overlook (i.e. the MC taking way too much heat - Ray Charles could have seen that one coming).

But if the overall heating issue were a design flaw, then everyone would be suffering the same. But the fact is there are at least some, if not most, who are not having this much trouble. Design flaws are much more consistent than this.

And I know I've said this before as well, but it seems to me that much of this excessive heat on the problem 2013's might be traced back to a very lean fuel mix. That will really heat things up in a hurry.

So you could have everything exactly the same from front to back, run one engine rich, run another just right, and the 3rd one very lean, and the 1st 2 would run much cooler than the 3rd. We are talking a potential of a few hundred degrees difference in the exhaust gas temperatures. (Sounds like a story I read once about some girl and a few bears - but I digress...).

Anyway, speculation is great fun but we are all looking forward to what your diagnosis comes up with.

I, for one, am not complaining about the complaining, as long as the idea is a reasoned approach to a permanent solution. That's something we can all get behind.
    BajaRon,

I must say this is the best post I've read in months. It makes sense to me; but, I don't know if what you say is true or not. All I know is it's a good tune, easy to dance to, and I give it a 10/10.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A total plug-check by all of the affected bike's owners, might be enlightening...

Spyder Garage

i will call or go to the dealer tomorrow to see what readings they got on my bike today and bring the factory seat to have them change it for me so i can get the comfort seat i bought as a extra, i had already taken the clock/outside temp and volt gauges off the bike with the vented windshield.
    John hope the dealer is able to sell your bike for a reasonable price. Steve from BRP should still have them find out what's wrong with the bike as this may be helpful to others. Good luck with your hunt for the perfect ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default decisions decisions

see what ron said is making me think, i told the dealer yesterday that the last time i filled up i took almost 5 gal's of gas and i only did 89 miles. so i told him to check everything to see why one tank was 122 miles and now 89 miles. so what do you do. do i let them do what brp suggested that they do to the bike and give it another chance or just do what i said yesterday and let them take the bike on consignment. i have spent a lot of money on this bike trying to fix the problem myself. the paint came yesterday for the parts i ordered from verika tryks are on their way. i know no one can make a decision for me but do i give the bike another chance. the winter is coming and the bike will be stored soon, so do i ride it now and see what the heat issue does in the cooler weather and than put the bike away and install the parts i ordered or do i get rid of it.

i hate making decisions like this, i am not a rich man, but is giving the bike another chance after all the aggravation i have been through worth it. i look at the elka shocks sitting in the house and now the paint and soon the parts from verika and say to myself that that was a waste of money. when i bought the bike i ordered the comfort seat, vented windshield, Akrapovic exhaust, the hand brake, sat radio with the entertainment harness, navigation unit. so thinking about it almost all night i am going to take a worse beating than when i use to bounce in a biker bar. plus i have a very close friend that tells me i am nuts taking the beating i am going to take. so now i am thinking i will go there today and see what they found and what they told brp yesterday and come home and think hard about what to do. the toughest decision i ever made in my life was a lil over a year ago signing a DNR on mom, being older than my sister i took control not to let my sister regret making the decision so this should be a breeze to do. so i will just man up and do what i think is right.

sorry for saying what i think, and i am not looking for advice, i just hate the fact that as someone else said that the people with problems are being used by brp to help them find a fix for the problem. ok thanks for reading this and once again sorry for sharing my thoughts with you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John, I know you probably have had this checked out but when my purge valve failed I'd get about 89 miles on a tank of gas. That said the purge valve did not solve my issues but I was getting the best gas mileage ever after they fixed that problem.

I hope you took all of the extras off the Spyder even the exhaust. I think you will get more for them if you sell them separately. Good luck
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622