Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question Need electricity for stereo

Ok so....I have a JBL Marine stereo in a custom built pod on top of the speedo/tach cluster. The black box in the trunk. Speakers are going to be mounted on the lower section of the mirror arms ( turn signal wires are in the top section so I'm good there) but now I need to find a switched source of electricity. My plan is to use the switched 3 amp fused accessory circuit to run the relay. The relay would inturn provide power from the battery to a sub 6 circuit fuse box also mounted in the trunk. But the problem is, I cant figure out how to access the powered lead from the 3 amp switch fuse. Looked under the fuse box and all wires are going somewhere. What gives?

Spyder Garage

BRP has those wires going to some spade terminals that are for their 12 volt outlet. If you have the BRP 12 volt outlet, those spade terminals are pushed onto the back of the outlet and you need to tap into those wires somehow. If you don't have BRP's 12 volt outlet, those wires are attached with cable ties near where the 12 volt outlet would mount.

If you haven't already bought the stuff for your power project, www.evoluzione.net sells a kit for $75. Its what we used for our Spyders and it works well, included all the parts and instructions.
    Last edited by bjt; 01-22-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info bjt - I basically did what evoluzione did - a relay, a 6 circuit fuse block - got that from local o'reillys, but instead of $75, I only spent $14 - I figure tapping the 3 amp switched circuit was a no brainer, and running a heavier gauge wire from the batt to the relay to my fuse block would be accomplished for under $15. But the problem now is finding the switched wires. So for those of us that dont have the 12 volt outlet, where does it mount? I have no idea where it goes to start looking for the two wires. By the way, what color wires am I looking for. I may go ahead and pickup an outlet later. Thanks for the info.

Spyder Garage

I don't know for sure what the wire colors are or where they are attached if unused but you could start by taking off the lower panel that you would remove to check the oil and look towards the front of the bike in that area. That's the same area where the BRP 12 volt outlet is mounted in the trunk.

Spyder Garage

My switched fused wires were located ty-rapped to the frame behind the trunk near top of the left strut, in an insulated boot. You've got the right idea of using these wires to operate the relay, that will feed your power buss. Good luck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default stereo pics

How about some pics.
    Spyderman62

Spyder Garage

If this pic comes thru, on the left is my relay, and the six circuit panel on the right. The fused switched wires, (not visible in photo), operate the 12v. relay. This relay and panel, will be energized for approx 20 seconds after the key is turned off. The red #10 on the relay is the feed from the battery. The lower red #10 wire feeds the six circuit panel. The black #10 is the negitive from the battery.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steven888 View Post
    How about some pics.
    Spyderman62
    I will post pics this weekend after stereo installation is complete - and once I figure out what needs to be done to post on the site.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

sounds great