Spyder Garage

Default Shout out to Arctic Adventures in Rosendale, NY

This past Friday September, 27th my wife and I were riding in the Catskill Mountains in upstate NY. Everything seemed fine when we left our house on long Island; the ride up went well no problems. We rode around for about two hours trying to find where her Mother and Aunt might be since they were not home. We checked their usual haunts but didn’t find them. We decided to go ride the route we had planned unfortunately this was not to be. While on route 299 in New Paltz the RT-S started throwing out ABS fault, VSS fault and the engine light came on. The RT-S went into the dreaded limp mode. We pulled into a parking lot I shut the bike down so it would reset no luck. I took out my phone to find the number for a local dealer in the area but service was poor. We decided to ride the bike to Burger King as they have free Wi-Fi. While attempting to locate a dealer I get a call from my dealer back on long Island telling me the parts in for the recall were in. I thanked him for the call and then told him I was having even bigger issues with the bike at that moment with. My dealer offered to give me the phone numbers to dealers closest to where I was; I thanked him and hung up. I called one dealer in Poughkeepsie NY told him what was happening to the RT-S he asked me a few questions so he could get a sense as to what it might be, but no luck. He offered to look at the bike if I could get it to him; problem was he was about 18 miles away. After learning where I was he gave me the phone number to Arctic Adventures located on route 32N in Rosendale, NY. I called from the moment the phone was answered I couldn’t have been more pleased. The woman told me to bring the bike in their tech would look at right away. She said they would try to get us back on the road that day. Buck, their tech looked the bike over and found water in one of the fuse boxes and loose battery tender connections on the battery. He thought this could be the problem so he relocated the connection for the battery tender and blew out all the water from the fuse box and replaced some fuses. He cleared all the codes checked the bike again still the codes came up. As I was standing on the right side of the bike I noticed one of the panels appeared to have melted. I pointed it out to Buck; he said he knew what the problem was. He removed the panel and sure enough the fuel canister was melted with a hole in it. Buck checked to see if they had a canister in stock but they didn’t. He then told us he would take the canister off one of the new 2013’s they had so they could get us back on the road. Buck told us we would have to leave the bike overnight. My wife and I stayed at a local hotel for the night. The next day we got to the dealer at 1:30 since they close at 3 on Saturdays. Buck changed the canister and performed the MC recall, changed the exhaust gaskets on both sides, changed rear speed sensor, adjusted belt tension and checked to make sure all the initial set-up procedures were performed correctly. It was during this time Buck found the connection for the automatic suspension to the swing arm was not made. Buck, put the bike back together took it out for a test drive and all was good. He told me he would order a new panel for the bike and I would have to drive back up for them to replace it. I told him I had found my new dealer and I would have no problem driving up. If you should find yourself riding around the Catskill Mountains in need of help don’t hesitate to call the staff at Arctic Adventures (845) 658-8844. I promise you, you won’t be disappointed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are some good folks!
    So while it stinks that you had to call on them for a problem ; it turned out that some good came out of it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Good news on finding a tech that knows how to take care of the Spyder and customer....your afternoon ride turned into an adventure

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    This past Friday September, 27th my wife and I were riding in the Catskill Mountains in upstate NY. Everything seemed fine when we left our house on long Island; the ride up went well no problems. We rode around for about two hours trying to find where her Mother and Aunt might be since they were not home. We checked their usual haunts but didn’t find them. We decided to go ride the route we had planned unfortunately this was not to be. While on route 299 in New Paltz the RT-S started throwing out ABS fault, VSS fault and the engine light came on. The RT-S went into the dreaded limp mode. We pulled into a parking lot I shut the bike down so it would reset no luck. I took out my phone to find the number for a local dealer in the area but service was poor. We decided to ride the bike to Burger King as they have free Wi-Fi. While attempting to locate a dealer I get a call from my dealer back on long Island telling me the parts in for the recall were in. I thanked him for the call and then told him I was having even bigger issues with the bike at that moment with. My dealer offered to give me the phone numbers to dealers closest to where I was; I thanked him and hung up. I called one dealer in Poughkeepsie NY told him what was happening to the RT-S he asked me a few questions so he could get a sense as to what it might be, but no luck. He offered to look at the bike if I could get it to him; problem was he was about 18 miles away. After learning where I was he gave me the phone number to Arctic Adventures located on route 32N in Rosendale, NY. I called from the moment the phone was answered I couldn’t have been more pleased. The woman told me to bring the bike in their tech would look at right away. She said they would try to get us back on the road that day. Buck, their tech looked the bike over and found water in one of the fuse boxes and loose battery tender connections on the battery. He thought this could be the problem so he relocated the connection for the battery tender and blew out all the water from the fuse box and replaced some fuses. He cleared all the codes checked the bike again still the codes came up. As I was standing on the right side of the bike I noticed one of the panels appeared to have melted. I pointed it out to Buck; he said he knew what the problem was. He removed the panel and sure enough the fuel canister was melted with a hole in it. Buck checked to see if they had a canister in stock but they didn’t. He then told us he would take the canister off one of the new 2013’s they had so they could get us back on the road. Buck told us we would have to leave the bike overnight. My wife and I stayed at a local hotel for the night. The next day we got to the dealer at 1:30 since they close at 3 on Saturdays. Buck changed the canister and performed the MC recall, changed the exhaust gaskets on both sides, changed rear speed sensor, adjusted belt tension and checked to make sure all the initial set-up procedures were performed correctly. It was during this time Buck found the connection for the automatic suspension to the swing arm was not made. Buck, put the bike back together took it out for a test drive and all was good. He told me he would order a new panel for the bike and I would have to drive back up for them to replace it. I told him I had found my new dealer and I would have no problem driving up. If you should find yourself riding around the Catskill Mountains in need of help don’t hesitate to call the staff at Arctic Adventures (845) 658-8844. I promise you, you won’t be disappointed.
    Wish you would have called me, I'm 8 miles from them, took delivery of the very first Spyder they sold, good people Could have stayed overnight here. Next time.

Spyder Garage

your exhaust leaks....replacement....were the gaskets down to the cooper? mine was burned to the cooper....new gasket produced less heat riding the 2013 ST...so is it a poorly produced gasket or heat from exhaust

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    your exhaust leaks....replacement....were the gaskets down to the cooper? mine was burned to the cooper....new gasket produced less heat riding the 2013 ST...so is it a poorly produced gasket or heat from exhaust
    Yes! down to the copper. The tech changed both just to be on the safe side.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    Yes! down to the copper. The tech changed both just to be on the safe side.
    I just had mine changed...but just on one side...reduced the heat when riding....but after about 400miles in one day , stop and go traffic for last 45 minutes....most of the heat was back along with rpms 1000 - 2000 at idle